Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Jean-Cyril

Jean-Cyril Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    did you read the product description ? it is HDMI 4K/60Hz
    but if his 4k monitor has only displayport my adaptater is worthless and yours is good

3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. Jean-Cyril

Reputations:
  5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I already have this though. But isn't the issue it won't work because my dell xps 15 9550 laptop has only hdmi 1.4... but a 4k tv or monitor needs hdmi 2.0?

Thus i need a cable wire with hdmi 2.0?

6. Jean-Cyril

Reputations:
    I'm not sur of what your asking. Native 9550's HDMI port is independent of an adaptater usb type-c to hdmi....

I use a normal HDMI cable (not specific HDMI 2.0) and it's working

7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I meant if i get a 4k tv right now... like the TCL 43 inch tv i posted... is there any issue connecting to it with that cable i already have and use it like big monitor? Because someone mentioned there would be issue because my laptop only supports 30hz... and that tv is 60hz or 120hz so there would be a ton of mouse lagging.. because my hdmi port is only usb 1.4 and not HDMI 2.0)?

I plan to connect my laptop to only this big TV though... i mean i might try to connect the big tv and one of the other monitors i currently have but i doubt it.

But isn't the hz thing an issue because i dont have HDMI 2.0)?

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also related to this... i mentioned I got a new 84wh battery. Now i mentioned i use it plugged in almost always and connected to external monitors.

I use to always leave my laptop plugged in... even when battery is full since I use it like a desktop. Previously what I did a long time ago I was use it while on battery till it was like 20-30% battery, then fully charge it to 100% and then rinse and repeat. But i was told that wears your battery out faster right?

So if im using my laptop as a desktop which I always done, how do i not wear out my battery? I remember someone said you could make your laptop battery onl charge up to max 80 or 90%... that way even when full charged... it doesn't go to 100% and keep charging and then wear out the battery faster. Is this true? If so, how do I do this?

Because I checked my battery report and it seems like the previous batteries I had... after a year or so... I worn out like 2/3 of the battery or so. But definitely after 1/2 a year... i wear at least 1/3rd of the battery capacity. The first battery replacement I did... I did it after 1.5 years. The last battery I just replaced... it was almost 2.5 years but it was worn out at least 8 months ago minimum.

I mean I know if i use the laptop with no internal battery, then my battery will last longer... but obviously that isn't what a laptop is meant for.

But since I use my laptop as a desktop, best way to not wear out the battery so fast? Like I know a battery typically last between 1-2 years with 1.5 years seem to be average. But I don't want my battery worn out in say just a year.

9. Jean-Cyril

Reputations:
    Are you a troll ?
    I have the feeling that you're not reading our answers, you're asking the same questions over and over and you have the adapter to test.
    So for the last time :
    - USB is different to HDMI
    - 9550's native HDMI port is limited to 4k@30Hz (even with a HDMI 2.0 cable !!!!)
    - if you connect to your 9550's thunderbolt usb type-c, an adapter thunderbolt usb type-c to HDMI, which support 4k@60Hz, then you can connect your 9550 to a TV 4k@60Hz with 60Hz support.
    - HDMI cables versions are not very important is this case, but maybe an old one or a very very cheap one or a long one (10 meters and more???) can have problem to display properly on 4k@60Hz.
    - when you plug HDMI cable either from native hdmi port or from adapter on your TV, if you don't see the difference between laptop screen and tv screen, then you don't car about frequency, and next time buy a cheaper laptot to save money

Schmoo2k likes this.
  10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hi. I did read your post. Someone else mentioned to me that even though the 9550's native HDMI port is limited to 4k@30Hz and because it only has hdmi 1.4, and the TV or monitor will have 4k@60Hz or 120Hz, getting a HDMI 2.0 cable would fix the Hz issues and thus any lagging issues on scrreen.

I said could i still that cable I already have with it? That person or few other person said it would work with the new TV or monitor with 4k@60Hz or 120Hz.... BUT... you will see ton of lag with mouse movements due to my hdmi being only HDMI 1.4 since my laptop is older and most laptops nowadays have HDMI 2.0 which I don't have.

But you say otherwise?

The thing is I do not have a 4k TV or monitor to test right now with my laptop and the cable I have. I do have a 1080P TV though that is a big screen TV but it isn't 4k so I can't try it.,

Thus when I buy a new 4k TV... I want to know if I also need a new cable for it. I ask this because the TV I buy will be in another country... but I want to buy the cable that I might need right now in the US... because that cable in the other country will be either hard to find maybe... or and it will cost a lot more since electronics there are much more expensive.