Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    By any chance you have the link or site that you bought your 97wh battery from? I believe you said got it from switzerland where you are from?

If you used it on heavy usage, you probably get three hours most likely at the most right?

I assume you connect your laptop to external monitor (s)?

Hi. Well right now i have two monitors and one uses the hdmi port on my laptop and the other uses the thunderbolt port.

What is ghd? So that resolution is which for ghd? Is it 2560x1440?

I want to get the 27' or 28' 3840 × 2160 resolution.

But you are saying if i use the thunderbolt port with a new 27' or 28' 3840 × 2160 resolution screen.... while still connect my other monitor as is to the hdmi port on my laptop... that would work though right? Thus one monitor is 3840 × 2160 and the other is 1920x1200? But it won't be pleasant to look to look at?

But if the 27' or 28' 3840 × 2160 looks good... could i get another same one and have them side by side or not? Thus the other cable would be using my hdmi port on my laptop... or that won't work?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2020
  2. sumsum

sumsum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here‘s the link https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/dell-gpm03-6zellen-notebookakku-8849900

For heavy usage I‘m always on Connected to power. Connected to a 30“ monitor. Never tried with battery only.

Drew1 likes this.
  3. Jean-Cyril

Jean-Cyril Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    QHD is 2560x1440 yes.
    ok, your choice, but remember a very important thing, resolution is not everything when we talk about monitor (LCD technology, color settings, view angles, pitch, refresh rate).

Yes two 4k monitor will work side by side but one, on HDMI port, will be limited to 30Hz (normal monitors are at 60Hz) and the other on thunderbolt port, will be 30Hz or 60Hz, it's depends if you buy a good hdmi adapter (watch in adapter description before to buy it, examples : 60Hz adaptater, 30Hz adapter).
    On 30Hz monitor, mouse movments look jerking

two monitors, 3840 × 2160 on thunderbolt adapter 60Hz, and 1920x1200 on HDMI, will work well. But, couldn't be very pleasant because of change of pitch, LCD technology and software not handling different Display Scaling, etc.

4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hi there. Well resolution is very important for what i do though. 1920x1200 is the absolute minimum resolution in what i do. But i notice if i get 3840x2140, that would be much better.

But my monitor... it could still handle 2 monitors 3840x2160 is what my main question is.

I just know from reading that 3 monitors would require me to get those other things.

Also my xps 9550 recently whenever i turn it off... it has taken a very long time to turn off. Anyone have this issue? Few times i had to power it off by pressing and holding power button because after i click shut down... it doesn't power off. Note... i always have it connected to 2 monitors so when i click shut down, both monitors turn off... and then my laptop powers off few seconds later. Now it takes a very long time.

But not only that... the last few times when i turn my laptop on, after i enter my bitlocker pin... you don't see the windows login screen. Again i am connected to my monitors. You are able to move the mouse though. I then had to power it off by pressing and holding power button to turn it off. Then turn it back on... then i see the bitlocker password and enter it... then enter my password for windows login screen. Anyone having these issues? I remember a while back i had the same issue. Usually computer turns on/off no problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2020
  5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hey all. So recently, my 9550 has lot of issues when using it. I mainly use it to play online poker and have lot of tables opened and use program that uses ram/cpu. But my computer has been good enough to use it without much lag.

Recently, few times already, when im playing and also playing youtube music... you would hear and see the system lag when music is playing and then it would close a program and after waiting some seconds, it would then work. But i notice the sound would be using my laptop as oppose to one of my 2 monitors. Previously this never happened.

But not only that, when i am just opening chrome tabs and using it, this happened once. I then notice i got the windows update restart and just did it. Previously i had this message and just shut it down and turned on as usual. Now do these recent windows 10 updates cause this? Again, my computer when using it... i never encountered this. Laptop is i5-6700hq processor with 8gb ram.

Also i notice many things like .net optimization service would show heavy cpu usage... once that goes back to low... something else like windows malicious software tool removal would show high cpu usage etc.

Does anyone know why im having these issues?

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had this laptop for a few years already. Not long ago, when i was playing online poker, that is what I do mostly on it, I notice there was like a stuttering sound and when this happens, my 2 monitors connected to laptop stutters with the sound and many times even closes the program.

But I notice when i play youtube videos, this happens as well.

I saw a video on youtube where someone mentioned this issue a while back where the issue is like this sound around the 12 second part. Now the thing is the stuttering that I have, it usually a few seconds at least and not just one second like on this video.

My concern at first was... is it because my laptop is not that fast and im doing a lot of things on it?

I5-6300HQ processor
    8gb ram

Also everytime when i log into my windows 10 pro computer after putting in my bitlocker pin and windows password and log in... i always keep getting the same message with aero glass for win8.1+ not compatible. I had this message for years and never did anything about it, i just click close and do my thing. Now could this have anything to do with this? I ask this because once when my laptop had the stuttering issue when i was playing poker, not only did my poker program closed, but it then got to the same win8.1 not compatible error message that i see on the screen... which i only get everytime i start my laptop.

Now does anyone know what is this issue called? Is it studdering or latency? Now is there risk of damage to laptop when this sound happens? It has happened a few days daily and it freaks me out.

7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In the youtube video, it say to remove 2 programs with Dellassist and that solves the issue. When i check my programs, i don't see Dellassist anywhere though. So what do i do here? Also recently i had to do a windows update as i saw that message when it say you need to do a windows update. Could that have anythign to do with this?

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Fant

Fant Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would recommend if you haven't already to do a clean windows 10 install and install only the Dell drivers/utilities you think you need.

9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't want to do a clean windows 10 install. I have lot of things on it...

Im wondering if windows updates must have started this issue?

10. codester

codester Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with Fant, doing a clean install usually resolves a lot of issues and is typically the answer given to issues like these. If you're not willing to do that, the next best thing would be taking it to a computer shop or someone knowledgeable with computers so they can actually look at it to see what's going on.

It would be nearly impossible to help you diagnose the issue through here. Yes, Windows Update could have caused this issue, but there are a million other things that could have caused it as well.