Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone here bought a battery replacement for their xps 15 9550? I was going to do this 6 months ago but did not do it. Im out of the US at the time so i couldn't order it. But is partspeople pretty much only site to buy the xps 15 9550 battery? From what i checked that is the only site that sells legit dell batteries. They have the 84wh and 56wh. My laptop is the 56wh but i want to get a m.2 ssd and the 84wh batttery.

2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can anyone here confirm the dell xps 15 9550 works with a 97whr battery? If so, i will most likely get a 512gb or 1tb m.2 ssd and then get the bigger 97whr battery. I mean i could get another 56whr battery but issue is my 256gb ssd is only has like 40gb space remaining. I regret so much getting this laptop years ago not knowing that it had the 56wh battery because i assumed all laptops of the same model has the same battery. Like did not know some come with the 84wh and some 56wh etc.

3. sumsum

sumsum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

The 97whr battery works in a 9550.

4. dkalatzis

dkalatzis Newbie

Reputations:
    I'd be interested in a larger battery. What is the model number for the 97Whr battery?

5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where do you buy the 97whr battery? I checked parts people which sells authorized dell products and they only sell the 56whr and 84whr one. Only place i see the 97whr is on ebay and
    on laptopbatteryexpress... it says it comes from South Korea Samsung. So that is good?

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Can you give us the model number of the 97wh battery? Was this the original one you had when bought or you bought a replacement battery? Was your original the 84wh? So dell xps 15 9550 laptop come originally with the 97wh when bought new right? It either came with the 84wh or the 56wh depending on how many hard drives it came with?

So it seems like there are few options only to get a new battery since dell doesn't sell it.

1. https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=21120 $130 84wh battery

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=20256 $150 56wh battery - out of stock now but they always seem to have stock in soon.

This site i know sells legit dell products.

2. https://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/Dell-XPS-15-9550-Batteries-s/60148.htm

56wh $110
    84wh $120
    97wh $130

The prices seem on par with the parts people site. But these are not geniune as i read its made in south korea. But these i assume are pretty good still? Seems like no brainer if you get a bigger battery pay extra $10 for the 97wh as oppose to 84wh one right?

3. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-OR...904192?hash=item364fbb3a40:g:lYoAAOSw0QFXBYVI

56wh $79
    84wh $75
    97wh $95

This is the only seller on ebay where i see he is 100% feedback for batteries. Last time i asked him if these are legit dell OEM genuine and he tells me yes. But i read its not possible for ebay sellers to sell legit batteries from dell. So its the truth or lie? He seems to have the best prices.

Now a concern of mine is when you see similar sellers like this guy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUIN...654972?hash=item1ebbcae43c:g:8B4AAOSwARZXmmuJ

He has 99.8% feedback. But when you read some reviews of it, it said the battery swelled after a few months etc. This guy sells the 84wh battery a few dollars cheaper at 69 dollars. Now the big question is... is this the same 84wh battery that the other seller with 100% feedback seller sells as well?

4. Ifixit

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/PC-Lap...0-Precision-Replacement-Battery/IF328-013?o=1

Selling the 84wh for 80 dollars plus tax. I heard ifixit is very good site especially if you need to buy parts for your iphone etc. But this battery is not genuine right? Now where do they get the battery is the big question. They don't make it themselves right? So is there good chance its same as the ebay sellers? What about like laptopexpress where they get it from south korea?

5. Amazon

Not going to post links but lot of 3rd party sellers sell these batteries with a wide range of prices. Amazon is probably worst idea to get a new dell xps 15 9550 battery right? I see lot of negative feedback but also some good feedback

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2020
  7. sumsum

Reputations:
    My XPS 9550 came with a 84 Wh battery model 1P6KD. My local dealer in Switzerland offers a new genuine 97Wh model GPM03 for 116 USD. This model is compatible with the XPS 9550 and 9560.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am using my dell xps 15 9550 with 2 external monitors... both are 24' and 1920x1200 display. If i were to get a 27' or 28' or 32' monitor with 4k display, i can use it with my laptop right? Thus one of them 4k monitor, the other 1920x1200 side by side? Now would it be possible for my xps laptop to connect to 2 monitors that are 4k monitors using my hdmi cable and the thunderbolt port? These are the 2 ports i currently use with my 2 monitors. Or you need stronger video card for that?

I know if one wants to connect 3 monitors... they need to buy a separate product.

You using the 97wh now? How many hours can you get out of it doing intensive things?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2020
  9. Jean-Cyril

Jean-Cyril Newbie

Reputations:
    You have to know that HDMI port on 9550 is limited to 4K at 30Hz, not good to work with. On the thunderbolt port you can have an adaptater that manage 4K at 60Hz but it is not all adaptater, you have to check before buy it.

I suggest you to use 2 qhd 27" IPS or VA monitor, native 4k is very small.

You can mix one monitor 4k with another 1080p, side by side, but IMHO not very pleasant to use (different pitch, different color, etc), you buy a first monitor and you try before buying the second !
    You can connect a 3rd monitor with a USB to hdmi/displayport/vga adaptater but I'm not sur you can have more than 1080p.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. sumsum

Reputations:
    Well, it is not easy to give a general statement about the endurance of my 97wh during work. I would say between 5 to 6 hours of generic office or coding work. For heavy usage I’m always connected to power.

Vasudev likes this.