Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I rarely read about this failure for the 9550, 9560, 9570, so I don't think it is a common issue. The tech said he read all over the internet about it but there were so many defects with the XPS models it is easy to confuse them lol.

The vrm on all these are under-engineered. They run hot and hard with little cooling. Hot components will generally have a shorter lifespan. But as protection Dell has that ambient temp sensor set very low to throttle away performance and heat.

It is possible the mosfet failed after years of exposure to heat. Or the laptop was used with heavy gaming / processing. Maybe some power spike killed it but there are a lot of components and protection between the mains and the CPU. Maybe the CPU or the mosfet was a dud.

We won't know as there is no public schematic. And the tech did not solve the issue. It seems that motherboard swap is the normal fix. I suppose one could source another CPU but that takes time to install. And installing a new CPU on a failed board with no schematic or definitive cause of failure is a risky proposition. Replacing the motherboard with a known good board from a reliable source with a warranty would be my next step...but they are so expensive that maybe it is time to update.

maffle likes this.
  2. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi pressing,

very interesting to read that you are going to assamle the Adata XPG SX8200pro in your Dell XPS 15 9550. The german computer magazin ct reported that this SSD is not designed to be used in an Ultrabook. The magazin claims that the SSD is double sided and that it comes with a cooling device because it runs hot allready in idel (57 degree celsius).

I am very curious about your findings how the Adata performs in your Dell in a mid-term and a long run. Hope that you not gonna need the help of the guy in the video you have posted.

pressing likes this.
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Chang. I'll keep an eye on this. Tech PowerUP did a review and show some thermal throttling with write tests but not read tests as you might expect.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/adata-sx8200-pro-1-tb/7.html

Since most of my daily work is mundane or read intensive (playing big virtual instrument libraries), thermals are not an issue for me.

SSD runs around 35*c - 45*c pretty consistently with the included alu heatsink. I saw temps mid 50*c when installing a lot of software but that was only for a few hours of labour.

My room is cold around 18*c so that helps. And the laptop has a good repaste to cpu/gpu, undervolt, and tape to improve airflow from fans to exhaust radiators.

I could put fujipoly thermal pads from the m.2 drive to the case bottom if m.2 temps cause throttling but for my use case I don't have any problems for now.

Chang_loo likes this.
  4. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. gnbspop

gnbspop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Several pages back I asked how come the left side keeps heating up... That's the one, the tape next to the fan on the right under the ac outlet. Opposite side is next to the caps lock and shift. What part is this? It really heats up... How can I fix it? Thanks.

6. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell Command Deploy WinPE Driver Pack
    This package contains the Dell Command Deploy WinPE driver pack. To see the list of drivers that are updated as part of the driver pack, go to https://Dell.com/command. Click Dell Command | Deploy, scroll through the list, and click the respective cab file for your system.
    Fixes & Enhancements
    - Updated release with new drivers.
    Version
    Version 1.0, A16
    Category
    Systems Management
    Release date
    23 Jan 2020
    Last Updated
    23 Jan 2020
    Importance
    Optional
    https://www.dell.com/support/Home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=JC0KJ

Chang_loo likes this.
  7. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thermal pad_2.png Thanks for the info as always---and I have a few questions that are off topic, but I can't find the answers anywhere else. You guys always seem to be on top of things:

First, anyone have any experience with Samsung's 970 EVO? Specifically on heat issues. While waiting for the right time to upgrade to the latest XPS 15, I picked up a used Dell 17 7786 which runs great. I installed the 970 EVO and it ran so hot, 80-100 C according to Core Temp, that i took it out and put the M.2 sata back in which runs at a nice 30-50 C.This 7786 has a strange setup where the NMVE rests up agains the bottom cover like our XPS 15's but the drive is surrounded by a thick cushion attached the bottom cover cut out to fit it. This doesn't seem to bother the M.2 SSd though. A thermal pad doesn't seem to work, but I saw one suggestion on the web that suggests that you put a thermal pad UNDER the drive as well as on top as shown above. Make any sense?

Secondly, anyone heard anything about Dell refreshing our XPS 15 line with USB 4.0?

Thanks for listening.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  8. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    First & Foremost, glad to hear from you and hope all is going well on your end.

Unfortunately I can't help with the Samsung 970 EVO Heat issue, yet I'm sure other great members will, and all I can lead you to in regards to your final question is just XPS's Refresh & New Rumor's. (See Links Below)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/leaked-dell-xps-15-gtx-1060/

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dell-xps-17-dual-screen-rumor

9. dkalatzis

dkalatzis Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have a 9550 4k Touch which probably needs a motherboard replacement since I get the dell logo loop and have tried all troubleshooting to no avail.

My current processor is a i5-6300 with a Samsung 960 EVO hard drive. If i replace with a 9550 i7 motherboard, will i be able to use current hard drive without requiring a clean Windows install? Thanks!

pressing likes this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Chang_loo likes this.