Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I read about that recently. I have not tried.

Can you recommend any easy guides?

SDeP58 likes this.
  2. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I went to push Reply yet pushed Like first instead. :)

https://bradshacks.com/disable-dptf/

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    pressing likes this.
  3. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I am quite torn between two models. They are so different, and yet so similar:

* $900 (probably haggle-able to $800) for a used Dell XPS 15 9550 with i5-6300HQ, 16 GB RAM, 960M, and 4K Touchscreen. I would spend another ~$100 for a 97 Wh battery. The seller didn't mention anything about storage, so perhaps I'd spend another ~$50 for a 256 GB M.2 SSD if it still has a spinning rust.
    * $1800 for a brand new Dell XPS 15 7590 with i7-9750H, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, GTX 1650 and 4K Touchscreen.

My uses would mostly be development using Python with (lightweight) Machine Learning. But here's the twist, I only use it for ~20% of the time, since I have a desktop PC as well. The laptop is only used for when I work outside of the office, that's why I think its a bit wasteful to spend nearly $1000 more for a 7590.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it worth to buy a 9550 today?
    1. I read that the 9550 6300HQ had performance issues, especially when running on battery. Has those issues been solved?
    2. I also read that the 97 Wh battery from the newer 9560/9570/7590 would fit the 9550 no problem. Is it true?
    3. Are there any significant quality differences between the 4K display in the 9550 and 7590?
    4. Any other revision in the 7590 over a 9550?

What I have gathered so far, the non-performance upgrades of the 9550 to 7590:

- Thunderbolt 3 upgraded to 4 lanes instead of 2 lanes
    - Webcam moved up top from the bottom
    - HDMI 2.0 instead of 1.4

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I still use the 9550 and like it a lot.

The current Dell 7590 chassis, keyboard, and screen are all similar. The current generation CPU still uses the same Skylake architecture, albeit with more cores available and refined production.

1. I don't think that ~$1100 ($900 + $100 + SSD cost) is good value for the 9550.

2. There are threads here on battery interchangeability. I can't remember but there are some batteries that don't swap. If you use the big battery the 2.5" drive bay is not available.

3. The screen changed a bit but the 4k displays are beautiful for productivity work. Not ideal for gaming.

4. The 7590 offers significantly more GPU horsepower. Essentially similar CPUs may offer more cores and some minor refinement. The Thunderbolt, HDMI (and hopefully USB 3) implementation is better. The laptop looks the same for ~5 years but there should be some slight improvements in the screens, keyboard, firmware, etc. But the low latency performance of the 9550 is better. And the chassis is so thin that both laptops suffer from thermal and power limits so real-world performance may be similar in many tasks.

SDeP58 likes this.
  5. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Well, I forgot to mention that I live in the country where depreciation runs a little slower lol. Plus its the 4K version, so it carries some premium (I do want 4K). Either way, its still the cheapest XPS 15 on sale right now over here (exception being the base i3 model).
    2. Can you link on batteries that don't swap? 84 Wh battery is workable for me, but I would not want a 56 Wh.
    3. Also applies to #4, since I do not use the laptop for gaming or heavy GPU work, I don't plan to use the GPU all that much.
    4. Can you elaborate more on the TB, HDMI, and USB implementation? Are there common issue with the 9550 that I need to be aware with? What is low latency performance, and is it important?

The seller just confirmed its has a 128 GB SSD. Do you think it comes from the factory that way?

6. Jaylinx

Jaylinx Newbie

Reputations:
    It is possible to update Intel Graphics directly from their website ? Always have an error message and I'm forced to use drivers from the Dell website. For NVIDIA, is it better to use latest drivers or the one from Dell website ?

7. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Yes.
    Go to Intel's website and download their support assistant and install it, which then scans your system and updates what's needed or go the site below and then manually chose which peripheral you want updated if there's in fact an update for it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Intel's drivers frequently are several months ahead of Dell's. Sometimes your laptop will complain that your old drivers are up to date. There are a few ways to force the newer drivers to your laptop. Method might vary over time so if one method fails, try another.

maffle likes this.
  9. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. SDeP58

Reputations:
    In my opinion; I think it's pretty impressive after the new XPS 15 refreshes of the 9550 that Dell is still pushing out updates for it, as I know that others have had their unfortunate issues with it from the initial release, yet I still think it's a great computer and that Dell really hit it right with the overall design of it.

My 9550 warranty will expire on July of 2020 and when the New Year rings in I have all intentions on contacting Dell in the hopes they will agree to another extended warranty, as for what I do and need; I just couldn't ask for a more reliable computer with an absolute gorgeous display.