Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New BIOS out - 1.12.0.0 (getting pushed out via windows update - might be for insiders only?) - couldn't find a readme.

SDeP58 likes this.
  2. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think you're right yet when it comes to a BIOS update I will only install it if DELL themselves puts it on their support site and so far they have not.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  3. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FWIW its live on the support site now: https://www.dell.com/support/home/i...2&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9550-laptop

Fixes:
    - Fixed the issue where the mouse lags when the Dell TB16 dock is unplugged or plugged in.
    - Fixed the issue where the screen does not display content when the lid is opened and closed repeatedly.
    - Firmware updates to address security advisory INTEL-SA-00213 (CVE-2019-0086, CVE-2019-0091, CVE-2019-0092, CVE-2019-0093, CVE-2019-0094 and CVE-2019-0096)
    - Firmware updates to address security advisories INTEL-SA-00233(CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130 and CVE-2019-11091)
    - Removed the preboot Intel RST Manager Optimized Defaults option.
    - Fixed the issue where the BitLocker prompts for recovery. It occurs when Auto Power On option in BIOS setup is set to wake up the system at a specific time.

SDeP58 likes this.
  4. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all, is there a way to keep the keyboard backlight always on?

5. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not as far as I know.

6. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell in my opinion has done some great and then not so great things with their refreshing's of the XPS 15 and one of them was removing the keyboard light timer/timeout option in the control panel under the Windows Mobility Center.

At any rate, the only workaround that I'm aware of is, to use the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack (DFEP)(See Below), which contains an application to adjust the keyboard light timeout to I believe a max of 5 min.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=MHVWP

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I updated to latest BIOS. Also went to nvidia and intel directly to download latest graphics drivers (used DDU and did a minimal nvidia install). Finally updated Win10 Pro to latest public.

9550 runs better than ever. DPC latency per LatencyMon is reporting best results I have recorded on this laptop (some hardpage faults. DPC routine execution time in the 300us range).

This is probably a better laptop for real-time audio than the newer XPS models based on complaints at the pro audio forums.

_sem_ and SDeP58 like this.
  8. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you tried removing Intel DPTF (there were claims that it adversely impacts the DPC latency)?

pressing likes this.
  9. gnbspop

gnbspop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi... Why does the area next to caps lock, shift, and ctrl heats up whenever its plugged? Sometimes its really hot, I have to unplug it.

Thanks

10. gnbspop

gnbspop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ooops im sorry...

It was already answered by King Khan. Missed the notification...

Thanks King Khan