Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Splitframe

Splitframe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello my fellow 9550 users.
    I recently updated to 1903 and the sound from the speaker is suddenly incredibly tinny and bad since then.
    Especially slightly higher tones are distorted beyond belief.

I already tried to update BIOS, Chipset, and, of course, audio drivers.
    Has someone noticed that the dell support site doesn't list the latest drivers most of the time?
    It presents me A04 from February as the latest even though there is A08 with a higher build number
    from October. Very weird.

Nothing helped, maybe it's just a coincidence though? I could get new speakers for ~10 Euros,
    but I am not swimming in money, the 9550 already was a big(huge) purchase for me that
    I saved towards for study and work.

I don't use the speaker THAT often, but when I do I'd not like to get ear cancer.

Thanks in advance.

2. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I recall reading that one of the recent Microsoft monthly updates caused problems with the speakers/sound on some computers with Windows 10 1903 installed.

I'd suggest checking to see if there is a more recent Windows 10 update or, otherwise, uninstalling the last update that your computer got.

3. Splitframe

Splitframe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for your answer.
    I googled all around for windows updates and found some hints like these:
    https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-sound-distortion-and-static-in-windows-10/

Sadly nothing helped. I also don't have the power option in my dell audio settings.

4. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Re the bios - I suspect I would trust "Dell" more than I would trust some random person on the internet! You do know by never updating your Bios you have now exposed yourself to the Metldown and Spectre virus (and all their variants)?

Its kind of like not getting a vaccination when all the doctors recommend it, but because you read something on facebook saying its bad you decide not to!!!

5. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Believe it or not, I use Windows 8.1 Pro, which does what I need it to do and which I’m very content with, yet it does seem that MS 1903 update not only corrected a lot of reported issues, it also unfortunately caused some as well, and yours & others issue(s) could easily be related to it. (See link below)
    https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/22/all-existing-issues-with-windows-10-version-1903-may-2019-update/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  6. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys, I could need some help. I have a 9550 and now 9750, and both exhibit the same problem with external USB-NVMe enclosures. These use a JMS583 chip to translate NVMe and SATA to USB 3.1 Gen 2. They came originally with firmware 204, I updated them to 206. Detection, writing and reading works perfectly.

The problem: Eject does not work fully, it partly hangs. The unit will still be detected as 'not ejected', no matter if I use the Safety removal or simply unplug it (Code 47 in Device Manager). Also from this moment on (removal of the JMS) P&P of USB is totally stopped. I can connect simple USB sticks to this or the other USB port - zero reaction.

So I cannot just ignore this as the issue persists, and has serious consequences on Windows - it then always crashes when trying to shutdown or reboot. Looks like th the management console is in that loop.

Does anyone elese have this kind of adapter and knows the cure? I did not find anything online (except for the JMS firmware update, but that one addressed other stability problems).

Found it - O&O Defrag service. No matter what one configures in the software itself, as soon as this service runs it hangs up Windows with this kind of external hard drive. Tested on version 21 and 23.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2019
  7. Tony96

Tony96 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm trying to find a good stylus pen for note-taking for my 9550 4k touch. I did lots of research on this topic and Dell Active Pen and Wacom Bamboo Ink came up but they got various mixed reviews. I have only tried out pens and noticed that they all created broken and dotted lines. Have anyone been successful at getting a stylus pen that works?

8. gnbspop

gnbspop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi... The left side of my laptop were the plug is is really hot. There was a time my 9550 shutdown by itself . Any idea what happened? How can I fix it? Thanks

9. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm sure the experts here will graciously chime in yet I would say the first thing you should do is, open it up and clean out the fans and make sure they're working.

Chang_loo likes this.
  10. King_Khan

King_Khan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like other mentioned, you will probably have to clean out the dust/repaste your laptop. If you want to go a step further, you can add thermal pads on the VRM to increase cooling.

SDeP58 likes this.