Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hey... Yes i'm extremely paranoid. But i want to be very careful. Well the last time i bought it directly from dell, it was because i saw a great deal with discount. I regret not being 2 of them at the time. But one reason was because someone said it could last many hours so i figure one is good enough. But now because the price is high on dell site, i figure okay amazon price is really low and its shipped from amazon services inc meaning its from them... it should be fine. Thus had the packaging came in shrink wrap like how a brand new iphone would be like... i would not even question this and use it.

But when i saw there was nothing covering it. Then i saw it was a completely different box it was in which i never seen... i still have the original box for the powerbank i bought from dell 6 months ago, i thought... why does the box have this design.. like is it counterfeit, recall? Then when i tried to find a box design like this on google images and ebay, i saw this same design but for a hybrid adapter with powerbank and read lot of these got recalled a while back. That made me concerned even more etc.

I know... i always want piece of mind. But because i thought okay amazon.com and from them... it would be fine. I would not buy it from a 3rd party seller on amazon though. Also i would even feel more comfortable getting one from ebay with the same box im used to then this. I mean i never see this box design ever for this powerbank pw7015l from any seller on ebay. So wouldn't that make you wonder at least a bit?

Okay so after careful inspection of the box, i just noticed this at the back of the box.

Its imported by Canada from dell.ca

On the bottom left with all the wordings, it has For Argentina Only. So this means this is a canadian product but meant for resale in argentina?

Is there a way to find out from dell if this is the box that is being used now? I did notice this though. On my dell pw7015l, it does say in the sticker of the powerbank made in china and 2019/01.

The sticker of the back of this one says 2091/04.

I took a look at the back of the sticker of the powerbank for each and it looks the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2019
  2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all. The computer place where i go to always seem to not be there anymore. That guy was my computer guy but he isn't there anymore.

I found a place where they told me they will take a look at my laptop. I asked them would they be able to do everything in front of me as oppose to me leaving it there and picking it up later.. and they said its possible.

So right now im going to turn bitlocker off. Download macrieum free and do the copy process. Then im going to order the dell bigger battery and the 500gb or 1tb ssd.

So when i go to the repair shop, bring all these things. But after he put in the new battery and new ssd... i most likely will not upgrade the ram... when he starts up the computer, do i make sure he boots it from the usb or does he start it up like normal. And then do that? I ask this because well if he was to boot it from my usb, i probably have to pay more for that right since he is sort of installing it for me? But he still has to power on my laptop to make sure my laptop works with the battery and the new ssd right?

Such as the cloning thing... to do the transfer... i can easily do this very quick after he put the new m.2 ssd and battery in it right?

Thanks.

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A few weeks ago I updated the BIOS and Intel HD Graphics drivers to latest on Dell support site. Of course, M$ still pushes some OS updates so I have a tough time controlling that.Recently, I had some problems with the refresh issues on some web pages scrolling and a few computer freezes/white screens that required restart.

Today, I updated Dell "certified" Intel HD Graphics Driver (dated 04 Sep 2019, Version: 26.20.100.6951 ,A13) using DDU to latest intel driver in safe mode

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29074/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=97502
    Version: 26.20.100.7212 (Latest) Date: 9/25/2019

After a few minutes of use, I haven't seen computer freezes/white screens. But the M$ Edge still seems a bit glitchy on those websites so that might be a problem on MS Win 10 Pro 1903 build 18362.418. M$ seems to have depreciated Edge browser (and never bothered to include basic features like a search bookmarks). I'll just try to move everything to Firefox and stop using Edge.

4. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For whatever it's worth.
    I was once solely a Firefox user yet they sadly started allowing ads of my searches in my browsing, which I just hated along with automatically disabling some add-on's with each update and I finally had enough.

I now use Epic private browser for most of my needs and every once in awhile when Epic blocks out some of the things I want to see I just paste the URL into Chrome view it, do what I need to do or see and get right back to Epic, which in fact never sells you out and pesters you with annoying ads through your search queries.

pressing likes this.
  5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay so i won't be able to get a new laptop battery for my xps 15 9550 as it won't arrive on time.

So I will be using it still with the battery i got 1.5 years ago and its already 2/3rd worn out.

Does anyone have tips on how i use less battery on the xps 15 9550? Should i completely stop using chrome and use say microsoft edge? Also, when not plugged in, i always have it on power mode and best battery life. When i do this, does this mean my screen is dimmed to absolute max? If not, how do i dim my screen even more? I remember someone saying press f6 or something like that with another button.

I know you can get better battery if you turn off wifi but i cannot do that. I already had turned off the keyboard backlight thing a while back. Does turning off the sound to 0% make battery better as well? Or it won't make big difference?

Also with my chrome, i typically have like 30+ tabs over a few chrome pages. And lot of these chrome pages im on... it keeps updating consistently by the second. Thus imagine numbers change so its like refreshing constantly. That surely plays a huge role in the battery since its like refreshing even though im not using those tabs at the moment right? But when i say its refreshing, i dont mean like you go to that page and press f5 to refresh. I mean like say it shows stock prices or similar and keeps showing price changes every few seconds and minutes. Does that play a role?

Are there apps in apps or background processes that i can turn off that could make battery longer?

6. PhilTheHill

PhilTheHill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also tried the latest (A13) Intel HD Graphics Driver (from Dell, not Intel) on my 9550 but noticed that I started getting 'hardware errors' logged and reported by the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor but which didn't appear to be directly attributable to the new driver.

I'd already upgraded to the latest (1.11.2) BIOS a week or so earlier and not made any other significant changes so the A13 driver was the prime suspect. Reverting to the original (A12) Intel HD Graphics Driver resolved the ‘hardware errors’. (I try and avoid doing multiple major changes simultaneously as it’s then more difficult to resolve any subsequent issues.)

I was somewhat lazy and just upgraded the original driver rather than using DDU and I don’t often use Edge but I can’t say I noticed any visible problems with the A13 Intel HD Graphics Driver. On the other hand, it wasn’t installed for long!

pressing likes this.
  7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also can someone tell me how i do that option where when my laptop is fully charged, it only charges up to 80 or 90%? I remember lot of ppl say if you have laptop plugged in always, make it max 80 or 90%. So better 80 or 90? Also is this confirmed 100% this makes battery last longer as oppose to having it charged 100%? Also someone mentioned something about making sure you charge it back when it hits 20%? I remember 20% very specifically. Can someone explain this part? Was it use your laptop plugged in and make max charge 80 or 90%. But if you were to unplug it, always let the battery drain down to 20% at the lowest and make sure you plug it back in?

I also remember someone saying if you want battery to last long, have it plugged in to 80 or 90% which is the max. Once its like this, use it on battery till like 20%... then charge it back again to 80 or 90%... then unplug it back and use it to 20% and repeat assuming you have an outlet to charge to. This is incorrect right? Thus anytime you use your laptop on battery for long period of time even if you drop it to 30%, it wears out battery?

8. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I honestly don't think anyone in this forum can add anymore to these repetitive questions then was truthfully already answered and I strongly suggest you start using the good ole search engine in the top right hand corner of this venue/thread and you will then see for yourself how many times these questions have in fact been answered or responded to.

Finally, with 30+ tabs opened up, as you claim, do yourself a BIG favor and use another one and do a basic search for your question(s) First and you'd be just amazed of how many sites will be returned back to you such as the following.
    https://lifehacker.com/top-10-ways-to-extend-your-laptops-battery-life-1791500458

custom90gt likes this.
  9. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Drew1 Go into the bios and reduce the number of cpu cores to 1 and lower the screen brightness as low as you can.

Then in widows, switch power mode to battery saver.

Shame you dithered so long re the battery and ran out of time - IMO you should have just gone with the cheapest reputable looking one on Day 1, it would be better than a battery at 1/3 capacity...

10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Schmoo... im not going to bios. Im afraid i can do damage to it. I also mentioned i never updated my bios ever. And when i read about bios bricking... i dont want to dare touch this...

Well i dont want to risk getting a cheap battery and it being a safety issue. Heard lot of these cheap batteries can cause hazard to laptops. But i could not find any genuine back then.