Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are very welcome yet First & foremost, do you have 2 separate accounts here and are you and Drew1 one of the same?:confused:

The word "careful" can go a long way and be interpreted many ways as well. If you just don't do things rough and use common sense when something is not going as outlined/instructed you should do just fine and in turn build up some real confidence in yourself, which I truthfully think you definitely need. ;)

2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey. I just noticed that. Yes drew1 and drew01 is both my account. The thing is one of these accounts, i created a long time ago pretty certain its this one...the other was a bit later because i did not remember my password for the old account. So i created a new drew account. Thats why the username is the same almost. This was many many years ago. I started asking these xps questions on my xps laptop and at the moment im on my drew1 account on my xps laptop right now.

But sometimes i would post on this forum on my other laptop when im using the other one. Apparently im logged into drew01 in the other laptop. I had no idea of this.

I will log into the drew1 account on my other laptop then. I guess what i did was when trying to log into my drew account on my other laptop, i forgot if it was 01 or 1 and apparently either worked. I must have used very similar passwords for both accounts then.

Well i want to know if there is a way i could test something like this on another computer. Like if i have an old laptop... i have an asus one... could i try to open it up and remove the ram and hard drive/ssd there... then put it back in. Would that be a way to like test doing this myself on an old computer that doesn't work? I dont have a hard drive on that old computer but i guess i can put an old hard drive in and lock it in... then take it out. Thus do this as practice? Before i try this on my xps laptop if i want to do so?

Well if i know how to do this myself, i wouldn't have to spend money each time at repair shop to have them do this for me. I mean i saw that person do it last time, it did not seem that complicated though. But they did had issues when after they put in my new replacement battery, they could not get the computer on for almost 30 minutes. Then it suddenly worked.

3. SDeP58

Reputations:
    I honestly thought they were both you yet I learned a long time ago in life to never ASSUME.

Send a private email to a moderator and ask them if it's possible to merge your accounts as it's worth a shot.
    I don't know, who knows, I sadly don't trust anyone these days and maybe it was done on purpose so you wouldn't be able to see how easy it was to do and try and do them/it next time yourself. You know "Job Security" ;)

At any rate in answer to your question(s), I always tell everyone that OJT (on the job training) is the best way to learn something in my Book, so Yes, go ahead and get some necessary tools and fool around with your other computer, which you have and can, and each and every time you complete what you set out & intended to do you will not only build knowledge & skills yet you will also build confidence in yourself, which is essential and greatly needed in taking on jobs, tasks and etc.

4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hey. Well i have went to that guy many times before this to replace an old battery with a new one. Every other time he did this, there were zero issues. It was just weird, after a few times, it worked.

Okay but when i try this on an asus computer, taking out the ram and say putting an old hard drive or ssd in it and putting it into place, then taking it out... it should be exactly the same way as my xps laptop though right? Obviously where the ram and hard drive is located is going to be different.

Also i have another battery question. When i unplugged my ac charger from my laptop but had my 2 monitors connected to it as normal... does that use more battery as oppose to my laptop just by itself not connected to any of the 2 monitors? Also i know ppl use their laptops outside the home by itself without connecting to monitors so having good battery is important. But does it ever make sense to use your xps laptop at home with 2 monitors connected and just use it on battery power as oppose to connected to ac? Or that makes no sense at all.

5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Depending on how old that computer is, you can't simply transplant the RAM. It might be that your other laptop is so old it still uses DDR3 RAM, which is not compatible with the XPS 15. The HDD might work, but you need an extra caddy and cable for fitting it in the XPS. There is also no reason to connect your laptop to two monitors on battery if you have an AC near you.

No, this RAM is not going to give you 40% more battery life. Really, there is not much you can do to increase battery life than merely optimising your usage and keeping the battery healthy. Limit the charging threshold whenever you are on AC and you don't need a battery soon, thats the best you can do to keep that battery healthy.

7. SDeP58

Reputations:
    I might be wrong yet I was under the belief that he was merely practicing removing existing parts from his old Asus computer and then putting the same ones right back to get hands-on experience and confidence and not transplanting anything from his XPS 15. :confused:

8. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah, I misunderstood that, sorry. In that case, yes, (re)placing these parts should be fairly similar.

SDeP58 likes this.
  9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought another dell power companion pw7015l but this time from amazon as oppose to dell. Reason because much cheaper on dell but i read amazon doe sell counterfeit products. Does anyone know how amazon sells this companion for under 90 dollars when dell sells it for 125 plus tax etc? I got it under 90 dollars total with tax. I bought if from amazon.com as oppose to 3rd party sellers. But what is strange was when there was price drop from certain sellers, amazon did the same exact thing... So does that mean those 3rd party sellers sell it to amazon for them to keep?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Power-C...ords=pw7015l&qid=1569794021&s=gateway&sr=8-16

Dell link for it

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...18000-mah-pw7015l/apd/451-bbkv/pc-accessories

This is how my dell companion looked when i bought it directly from dell 6 months ago and it came with this box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Power...955488?hash=item23c3ed2ae0:g:TLEAAOSwp~pdW9~t

I just received it from amazon and the box looks like this except it clearly shows pw7015l and does say dell notebook powebank plus. There was like plastic wrap over it but it was not taped like it was brand new like it came from dell. Like imagine you put it in plastic bag or so. Do you think i should worry about this? I never seen this type of box before. Also there are some scratches no box and im not 100% its new. I haven't opened it yet and thinking about returning it. Do you think im too paranoid?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-P...374500&hash=item23c2cffe09:g:dRMAAOSwFTddSIzw

Im concerned it might be counterfeit but more worried if it got tampered with malware etc. Opinions? Also the box i came with, it doesn't look new. The taping on it looks like it might been open box. I have not opened the box yet as im strongly considering returning it. Opinions?

10. SDeP58

Reputations:
    I know you're going to unfortunately take the following the wrong way so take this anyway you want.
    You by my evaluation are definitely & extremely very "paranoid" when it comes to your electronics and I don't know yet something just tells me it even goes further then just that, so tell me, if this is in fact the case and with the very obvious not-so-good Amazon reviews, why then would you nickel & dime something that evidently bothers you greatly when you should of spent the extra $'s and bought it directly through DELL, which comes with support, service and your ever wanting Peace-of Mind, as this just truly Baffles & Perplexes me greatly? :confused: