Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. codester

codester Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 180W adapter should be sufficient if you are only using the dock to power the XPS 9550. You essentially have at least 50W left over, which is more than enough for the USB ports on the dock. The 240W adapter would be more for those that want to power an external monitor with the thunderbolt port (using a single cable for power and data).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I just did a battery report check. Earlier i was using it without it connected to ac adapter while having it connected to my 2 external monitors and after about 30 minutes or so, it showed i only had like 35 minute remaining or 50 percent. But then within a few minutes, it automatically shut off. I then clicked power to turn it back on and it did like it went to sleep and it showed 7% battery only and take 2 hour to fully charge.

Also everytime i turn on my laptop and say its not plugged into ac when i turn it on... everything i plug it into ac, it always shows like 18 minute to fully charge or 88 or 92% charging. That means i need a new battery right? I had this battery replacement bought from ebay close to 1.5 years ago.

I remember about 1.5 year ago, my original laptop battery was so bad... the laptop turned off within 10 minutes when not charged to outlet. So that sounds about right for a laptop battery replacement right? Thus anywhere from 1 - 2 years? Remember i have it on all day plugged in from morning till night basically everyday.

Installed batteries
    Information about each currently installed battery
    BATTERY 1
    NAME DELL 62MJV
    MANUFACTURER LGC-LGC4.86
    SERIAL NUMBER 42074
    CHEMISTRY LION
    DESIGN CAPACITY 55,997 mWh
    FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 17,818 mWh
    CYCLE COUNT -

Does this mean my battery is like 1/3rd drained? Do you need me to copy the recent usage and usage history and battery capacity history etc?

Okay so i looked at my ebay history. I bought a 56wh battery replacement about 1.5 years and paid close to 100 dollars for it. The reason was b/c seller had perfect feedback and said the battery are official battery while other sellers were selling it for 70 dollars and less. So are you saying this battery was no way authentic dell? I recalled i paid a lot for it on ebay compared to other ebay sellers. This guy had 100 percent feedback and still does.

I just took a look at ebay again for 84wh and 97wh batteries. I saw a few sellers where their feedback are like 99.5% and up and they sell batteries. I see they sold like 50 plus already. So would it be safe to say that is a good buy then?

Also what i notice was the 84wh battery cost like 70 dollars... but the 97wh battery cost like 100 dollars or more. In terms of price, is it better value wise and price wise to get the 84wh as oppose to the 97wh since its about 30 dollars less and the 97wh is like 15% last longer only?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019
  3. sumsum

sumsum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just in case someone of you has already a WIFI 6 Router and therefore need a wifi Card Upgrade.

The Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 works pretty well on the 9550
    [​IMG]

Chang_loo and pressing like this.
  4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Can someone here give me their thoughts on this? I will be buying a new laptop battery soon as i think it i don't, it will soon have zero charge right?

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At 1000+ posts we move from student to teacher. And develop pretty good working knowledge of the XPS and the search functions here.

Chang_loo and SDeP58 like this.
  6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I wish i could say that. But i'm still not that tech savy from all the years here.

I also never ever opened a laptop inside myself and had to go to computer shop and pay to do this.

pressing likes this.
  7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also i have no tools as well. Do you need multiple screwdrivers to open this laptop up? Because i will have to buy all these things as well if i want to do this. But im assuming its going to cost at least 50 dollars if i go to repair shop to have ram replaced, battery replace and the 2.5 inch ssd removed and replace the m.2 ssd with another bigger m.2 so that would cost at least 150 dollars. But im concerned since i never did something like this and don't want to risk doing damage to my laptop.

8. sumsum

sumsum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

It‘s a trade off between spending Money at Computer store for a Professional replacement and the risk of doing it the wrong way (or Lack of Skills). You will find a lot of well documented YouTube Tutorials for replacing anything on a XPS 15, if you like to see and learn.
    You'll need a small Phillips screwdriver and a T5 Torx driver as well. Not expensive at all and a Must have anyway.

The decision is up to you

9. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Chang_loo likes this.
  10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Yea i always wanted to try it myself but i am concerned i do damage to it. Is there a way to like practice this or something on a different computer or not? I mean for example i have 2 laptops that no longer work... one is asus and one is sager... i mean would trying to open those laptops up and say remove the ram and hard drive and put it back in ... be good practice before i do it with this dell? It should be same thing right in terms of removing say ssd and ram? But battery still should be similar in a way?

Also... why in the world are laptop batteries internal? I remember years ago... i had a dell laptop inspiron and an asus... these were like 10 years or and longer... when i needed a new battery replacement, i bought it off ebay and batteries were external... which means you take out old battery and put in new battery just like that. Thus anyone could do it and it takes a few seconds only.

Does anyone know the answer to this? Is it because that way they get more money out of consumers since many ppl dont want to try to open laptop etc?

Thanks... i just watched the few parts of the video. It seems sort of simple from looking at it.

But my concern is it says you have to be really careful with it.

By the way, i assume most ppl here do things themselves when it comes to replace battery or ssd etc?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2019