Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nothing personal ;) The price $53.99 seems to good for a genuine. I just clicked on Seller information, and it says "Based in China, lol-electronic has been an eBay member since May 06, 2015". Then clicked on the negative and neutral feedback, and there are a few complaints mentioning fake, counterfeit, knock-off. Mind fakes are often difficult to spot because the most effort goes into replicating the labels. 99% Positive feedback is quite good though, but one should check how many laptop batteries are included.

2. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What's the design capacity?

Knockoff.

Same goes for iPhone batteries. You can find a huge marketplace for "OEM" and "Original" iPhone batteries online but all of them are knockoffs that haven't passed QC. The only way to get a genuine and QC passed iPhone battery is directly from Apple. Apple don't sell their genuine batteries to 3rd-party resellers, and neither does Dell.

3. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The designed capacity is 97003 mWh

So, if Dell is not inclined to sell replacement batteries for its own computers to the owners of those computers and if they don't sell genuine Dell batteries to 3rd part sellers, unless I'm missing something, that would seem to indicate that the only choice we have when we need to replace our batteries is to buy a knock-off battery and hope it works okay. Is that correct?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  4. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    None taken. ;)
    I never used nor use the battery in my 9550 as my unit is strictly a desktop replacement and I was merely trying to help all the owners that need one.

The seller being based in China would definitely constitute a reported claim to eBay as the seller is specifically documenting that the item in coming from Farmingdale, NY and that they're a US seller.

I wonder if newegg is full of garbage with their documented claim as well?
    https://www.newegg.com/p/16J-001J-00902

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  5. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When I bought a replacement battery for my XPS 15 9560 a few months ago, I also checked NewEgg. I see that they have 2 different GPM03 batteries for the XPS 15 9560. One of them is priced at $172.99 and its warranty information says "1 year limited warranty". The price of the other is $199.71, and the warranty information for it is a link to Dell's website. That second one sounds like it would be more likely to be an actual Dell battery, but, from the posts here, I'm not confident that it is.

6. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. ahmadka

ahmadka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys ... I was looking to upgrade my XPS 9550's 1TB SSD to something that's 2TB or more ...

Any recommendations on what works and performs well with the XPS 9550 ?

8. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So some people here all seem to mention the battery replacements bought from 3rd party whether walmart, ebay new egg are fake etc. Like someone else ask, if dell doesn't sell the battery what option do we have?

Now the big question i have is this... do using these fake batteries risk damaging your laptop and cause harm? I mean it showing a message that says not geniune battery or battery not detected isn't that bad etc. But can it break your laptop or destroy it? The 56wh replacement battery i bought around 1.5 years ago seems to work fine except it has worn out quite a bit.

On amazon, i saw lot of reviews of sellers of the 9550 and 9560 batteries saying they did that battery test and it showed like 91000 capacity as oppose to 97000. But that isn't a big issue right? I mean what option do we have then since you can't get it from dell?

Also want to ask another question.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/451-bbkv

I bought one of these for my laptop a while back and use it as backup power for my laptop. I want to get another one of these and notice that on sites like ebay, people sell them either new, open box or used and the price is much less than on dell.

Last time when i bought it off dell site, there was a sale. I should have bought 2 but i didn't.

There is no risk of a dell powerbank like this infecting a laptop with malware/virus or keylogger right since you can only plug it into the laptop via power cord? There are however usb ports though if say you want to charge a phone or other things like that. But that is possible for someone to put malware/keylogger/virus on it?

I heard that if you use a powerbank that has a usb-c cable like the one below, then all bets are off right as if someone sold a used or tampered powerbank like the one below, you can get your computer with virus/malware... is that correct?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/451-bcev

So would you recommend to not worry about these things, just pay more and get it new? I always buy electronics pretty much new. But i dont want to risk buying something that could possibly be tampered which is why i pretty much always buy from sites like amazon or dell when it comes to electronics. I assume for the first powerbank, if you only use it to connect to your laptop, then its 100% safe? But if you use the usb ports, well its not if someone who sold it or someone who had it before and sold it could do something with the usb ports? I read in an article you should never borrow a usb cable from others because its possible that person could be giving you a cable with malware etc.

But would someone installing malware into something like this be tough or easy? Would the costs be worth it? How much money would it cost to tamper something like this and how long would it take for them to do that? For example, if its being sold to someone with very important things on their computer, well i could see someone like a hacker doing everything to put malware on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2019
  10. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the TB16 dock with 180W AC adapter. The Dell website indicates 240W needed to use this dock with an xps 15 9550. However, with my 180W I see 130W Thunderbolt charging (maximum possible rate) and all seems well. Any reason for me to get a 240W AC adapter? Dock updated to latest firmware and newest drivers loaded.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk