Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Fant

Fant Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think I've ever been able to buy a replacement battery for my 9550 from dell. I bought one from eBay years ago.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

2. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Drew1,

You might at times possibly feel that no one in this great venue is responding to your question(s) yet you must truthfully realize that your same questions cannot be answered over & over & over again and if you do some due diligence throughout the forums here I'm pretty certain that you will not only find your answers yet you will in fact see that this claim is greatly justified.

Finally, Dell cannot sell what they no longer make or have manufactured and a basic search will show you this. They ran into a BIG issue with a lot of the internal batteries swelling up through the touch-pad and they honored a replacement only until a certain date, if you in fact had a battery with the problem serial number(s) they provided. If your unit is out of warranty and you insist on getting a replacement battery through Dell, which many people in this scenario go the eBay and outside sources route, they can only supply you with a re-manufactured one, which they use under extended warranty repairs. Yes you and many others don't like this yet "It Is What It Is."

Chang_loo likes this.
  3. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-15-9560-battery-replacement-quirk.828403/
    My 9550 came with the 84Whr battery and I upgraded to a 97Whr around 12 months ago. I'm in Australia and I went through Dell Support. Dell required a Service Tag of the model of XPS battery I was wanting, as this is the only way they can obtain a part number on their ordering system (you cannot just give them a part number and ask them to order it for you). I gave them my friends 9560 Service Tag and they had no issues ordering me a 97Whr battery with a full 12 month Dell warranty.

Prior to this I ordered a "Genuine OEM" 97Whr battery on eBay and it was full of issues. After doing research I discovered that a very large majority, if not all "OEM" batteries sold on eBay/Amazon etc are in fact knockoffs, even though they look identical to genuine with the Dell logo and stickers. Saying this, the only way to get a genuine replacement battery that has passed QC is directly through Dell.

Read here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-15-9560-battery-replacement-quirk.828403/

4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Well that means they are expecting us to get a new computer every year or 2 years since a laptop battery doesn't last for more than 2 years at the absolute max?

Yes i know about that internal battery issue swelling. I did not have this issue with my 56wh battery. I called dell years ago about this when i needed a replacement battery because my battery worn out and wanted to buy one online and asked if i was eligible, gave them serial number and they said it wasn't eligible... i had no battery swelling at all though so called to see if i could get replacement for free. I asked them i wanted to buy a replacement battery, they told me either they didn't have any or it was refurbished... obviously im not getting a refurbished battery.

Well do many ppl here still use the 9550, 9560 and 9570 then? But more so the 9550 and 9560 since these are at least 2-3 years old now? So basically they keep buying replacement batteries every 1.5 to 2 years on ebay then if they want to continue using their 9550 or 9560? I do not want to get a new laptop as i like my xps 15 9550, but i would want to upgrade my battery from 56wh to 97wh and upgrade my 2.5 inch ssd to a bigger m.2 ssd and also the ram. So if you plan to use the 9550 or 9560 for many more years, getting the fake battery on ebay is pretty much the only way? The battery i got as replacement was bought through ebay and seller had good feedback, battery been working okay but as usual its wearing out a bit.

What do you plan to do once your 97wh battery wears out and you need to get a new one? You have to get one on ebay right since dell does not sell it anymore?

What kind of issues did the geniune oem 97whr battery on ebay had?

Well if can't get the real thing from dell, isn't the fake batteries on ebay the only option on ebay though?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2019
  5. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A few months ago, I bought a 97 w battery for my XPS 15 9560 from a 3rd party seller on Walmart.com

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Genu...510-11-4V-97Wh-Battery-GPM03-0GPM03/228395044

It was advertised as a genuine Dell battery, and the seller has excellent feedback. I believe that the battery is, in fact, a genuine Dell battery, but, if it isn't, the BIOS recognizes it as a genuine Dell battery, and there have been no issues whatever with it. It certainly wasn't cheap, but it was one of the few on-line sources for which I felt confident that I would be getting a battery that was actually a Dell battery.

6. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I will contact Dell Australia and see what they have to say about this

I'm sorry to say but that is a knockoff battery. They are either batteries that have failed QC or don't have original internal components. They usually have lower than designed capacities. For example, a 97Whr battery should show as 97,000mWh as a minimum. I've have a knockoff showing 80,000mWh; my genuine shows 97,003mWh. I've also had a knockoff show 98,000mWh but after a few weeks of usage the Full Charge Capacity dropped down to under 80,000mWh which is a wear level of nearly 20%. For reference, my genuine 97Whr has a Designed Capacity of 97,003mWh and after 12 months has a Full Charge Capacity of 92,545mWh which is a wear level of <5%.

Download and Install CPUID to view battery capacities and wear levels and report back :)

pressing likes this.
  7. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine is showing showing a wear level of 5% (after about 4 months of use).

I suppose I'm okay with that as long as I'm not getting error messages saying that it is not a genuine Dell battery or that the battery is not charging, but, if I really wanted a a true genuine Dell battery, are there any sources where they are available? NewEgg sells what they say are genuine Dell batteries, but their price for them is almost $200. Are those likely also not to really be genuine Dell batteries?

8. SDeP58

Reputations:
    For both you & Drew1,
    The following US eBay seller is basically swearing their batteries are 100% Genuine and they're giving the customer a full 1 year warranty to back it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-84Wh-1...nAAAOSwRJpdNmpn:sc:USPSFirstClass!32162!US!-1

9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. SDeP58

Reputations:
    eBay will stand behind such claims as the sellers listing & item Description specifically reads "Type: 100% product! NOT replacement ,not generic, not look-alike, not a cloning"
    Honestly with reviews, they can be generated by competitors or disgruntled customers that just never gives the sellers a fair chance to make it right and for whatever it's worth, if I was in the market for a genuine replacement battery for my 9550 I wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy one from this seller and their promised/documented 1 year warranty.
    Plus it's a USA Seller backing this battery so you wouldn't be mailing it to China for any warranty issue.
    Come On Now, here's a power seller with a 99% positive feedback do you honestly want better?
    IMHO - Anyone who truly needs one and doesn't give this seller a chance is just wasting their's & others time, picking at straws and probably will never buy one no matter who's selling it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019