Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Did you follow the information in the last post?

"Download the desired bios update executable from dell. should be XPS9***.exe or something.

Rename it BIOS_IMG.rcv

format a usb drive as FAT (not fat32 though that may work)

place the .rcv file in the drive, plug the drive into the left port of the laptop."

And then attempt to recover the bios?

Chang_loo and pressing like this.
  2. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What is your units configuration as I have seen motherboards on eBay at all different prices depending on the configuration?

Did you do a BIOS update recently as the newest version released has given some owners either a bricked machine or problems?

Shooting Darts here:
    Have you tried removing both batteries (CMOS & internal) and reinstalling them?
    Try removing the memory modules and then try booting up and see if the motherboard throws an error message back of no found memory.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Chang_loo and pressing like this.
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone here bought a dell xps 15 9550 replacement battery within say the last 2 years? I bought one about 1.5 years ago on ebay from a reputable seller and i have been using it for 1.5 years but battery seems to wear a bit. This was the 56wh battery though. I want to get the 84wh or 97wh. Can others confirm here both of these batteries work or its only the 84wh?

When i turn on my laptop, it seems its only 90% charged even though my laptop is plugged in 100% almost always. So right now it shows 100% charged. But say i turn off laptop. Then later next day turn it on, it would show like 90% charging regardless if i have it plugged in before i turn my laptop on or just it on while not plugged in then wait few minutes before plugging it in.

I went to the dell forum site and lot of ppl seem to mention dell does not sell replacement batteries for the xps series? So that means they don't sell replacement batteries for the 9550, 9560? Even the 9570? If so, that makes zero sense because a laptop battery last usually between 1 to 2 years right? So dell expects that once the battery is no good say you get only 10 minute battery, you get a new dell computer or something? If so that is ridiculous. My xps 15 9550 is fine except i want to get a bigger battery and also need to get a big m.2 ssd now in place of the 2.5 inch samsung ssd i have.

Can someone post link of sellers of the xps 15 9550 battery for 84wh or 97wh that are legit as in good batteries? I checked amazon and some have good reviews but many reviews were batteries does not work or only short time before it doesn't work. So none of these replacement batteries for the xps 15 9550 are genuine? I read on dell forum someone said no replacement batteries for xps are genuine unless bought directly from dell. Is that true or false? The one i got a while back the 56wh one seemed pretty legit to me.

I seen lot of these batteries on ebay as well and the ppl that sell it at higher price like 100 dollars or more... those are probably legit if they have great to perfect feedback? I saw some sellers that sell the xps 15 9550 84wh battery for like 70 dollars... so that you should stay away?

The other thing is lot of sellers on ebay or amazon seem to be from China. Well they seem to be registered in China but their location is in California or New York. So those come from China then right? But has anyone bought a battery from a seller from China and it works fine? A concern of mine would be that battery could potentially damage the laptop? Is there much risk for that?

Of course i rather buy the legit official battery replacement but dells does not seem to sell it?

4. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I tried this without sucess.

It is a 9550 core i7 processor.

Yes, I have updated to BIOS version 1.11.2 about 10 days ago because I had the issue with the disappearing TPM module in the BIOS (I claimed this problem a year ago and Dell Germany did not know anything regarding this problem)

Since I do not have the necessary tools at the moment to remove the mainboard, I could not disconnect the cmos battery.

As far as I have researched the internet, the BIOS chip (UT 2) and the Intel management chip (UH 8) might be defect and need to be replaced.

Currently I am enjoying a holiday on Bali and return to Thailand end of September. I contacted a repair center in Bangkok and hope that they are able to help me. If not, I would buy the new acer swift 5, so I could use my SSD drive from the Dell XPS.

Thanks for your kind help folks!

SDeP58 likes this.
  5. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Anytime.
    Below is the Best price I found on a used motherboard with the i7 configuration on ebay, yet I would definitely before you do ANYTHING get your hands on a T5 Torx and Philips screwdrivers and remove the Ram and see if you get an error message in regards to such, as this will definitely give you a great indication if the motherboard is recognizing anything.
    All the Best.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-DELL-X...OQAAOSwZbRdVEe6:sc:USPSFirstClass!32162!US!-1

Chang_loo likes this.
  6. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you SDeP58,

I will follow your recommendation and check my mainboard without RAM modules before I buy a used mainboard for > $ 400,--. This can properly be done when I am back homw.

SDeP58 likes this.
  7. SDeP58

Reputations:
    I recently contacted Dell to ask them what the HAY are they doing sending the 9550 owners an Urgent Driver update email containing the earlier BIOS version 1.9.0 with an in fact current release date and I was told after a so-called hold & investigation that it was definitely a mistake, they will fix the error ASAP and they thanked me for alerting them of such.

Well, even though we all make Misteaks...I mean Mistakes I still told them that they well know that randomly flashing the BIOS definitely comes with some risks and that they should now do the right thing and make good of all the 9550 owners that Heeded to their "Urgent Driver update" email and re-flashed their BIOS back from the current 1.11.2 and now have encountered unit failures and other issues and my expected response was, Complete Silence.

At any rate, I don't feel anyone that unfortunately encountered an issue with this new released 1.11.2 BIOS update, who is out of the service period with no extended warranty, has anything to lose by contacting them and referencing the aforementioned as this is something that they are now definitely aware of and hopefully they will do the right thing and honor a rightful repair.

Best of Luck,

lesz, Chang_loo, _sem_ and 2 others like this.
  8. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Frankly speaking, my XPS 15 was running well for a few days after the update to BIOS version 1.11.2. I do not have any hints that flashing this BIOS version bricked my device.

SDeP58 likes this.
  9. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, it has been Dell's practice to do the same thing, not only with the BIOS, but also with other drivers.

When I see a supposedly new driver on Dell's site, I've gotten into the habit of checking the file in which I keep all driver downloads to see if, regardless of a new date, it is a driver that I've already installed.

SDeP58 likes this.
  10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Can anyone answer this? I read in dell forums that people talk about replacement batteries for the 9550 and it seem dell does not sell them anymore? The same with the 9560 and 9570?

How is that even possible then? Thats like imagine you bought an iphone 7 and when the 8 comes out etc, you need replacement battery for your iphone and they say we don't make iphone batteries anymore for iphone 7.