Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-dedicated-and-integrated-graphics-card

2. SDeP58

Reputations:
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/should-you-defrag-an-ssd/

3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay looked through those articles. So i wont defrag it thanks.

Okay so what about those programs i have running and in background use? How do i not use any of them? There is no option to press for this... such as smart defrag and cortana which i never use.

4. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Open up Task Manager, go to the Startup tab and then Disable the applications you don't use. As far as smart defrag, I truthfully never heard of it yet if it's a 3rd party program installed on your computer, which you don't use or want, go into the Control Panel and under Programs & Features uninstall it and any other 3rd party programs you don't use as well.

Be very Careful not to uninstall anything that's needed by Windows.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, you can use free space consolidation for SSD,USB drives and HDDs w/o any issue.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-powerdefrag-free-space-consolidation.827436/

SDeP58 likes this.
  6. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why do you suggest to never update BIOS from Dell - over the years I have always kept my Dells on the latest BIOS versions and I am hard pressed to think of any negatives (but a lot of positives)?

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Specifically this Dell model and some older were screwed by Dell BIOS updates and needed mobo replacements.
    Drew 1 wasn't intending to do a BIOS update so I re-assured no need to do BIOS if system is working fine.

SDeP58 and pressing like this.
  8. SDeP58

Reputations:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX and Quadro Graphic Driver

This package contains nVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, GeForce GTX 1050, Quadro M1000M, Quadro M1200, and Quadro K1100M driver. It is supported on Dell XPS and Precision systems that run Windows 10 (64-bit) operating system. Graphics drivers or video drivers control the flow of data between the operating system and the display. Some video drivers allow you to adjust the display properties.
    Fixes & Enhancements
    Fixes:
    - Driver update to address nVIDIA Security Bulletin (CVE 2019 5665, CVE 2019 5671 and CVE 2018 6260).

Enhancements:
    - Not Applicable.
    Version
    Version 25.21.14.1972, A16
    Category
    Video
    Release date
    17 May 2019
    Last Updated
    17 May 2019
    Importance
    Urgent

Compatible Systems:
    XPS 15 9550
    XPS 15 9560

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...3&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9550-laptop

MikeBravo likes this.
  9. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Heard about this. No problems with the update on either machine.

Thanks.

Vasudev and SDeP58 like this.
  10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all. I use bitlocker to encrypt my laptop as i have to enter a pin to get in my laptop. Also i have a windows 10 password as well.

Sometimes, im not in my apartment and do leave the computer on... but i make it in the windows 10 password screen etc. Of course turning it off is the best thing to do.

I have to download some files that will take a very long time... thus imagine over a source of a few days at least if i only download it while my computer is on. So i want to have it downloading when im in bed as well so make the process faster. I noticed that whenever im outside my apartment for a while... say a bit more than an hour or a little bit more than that.. im not sure it might 2 hours... but sometimes when i come back... my laptop is powered off. I would leave my screen either back then with no windows 10 password... or now... its on the win10 password screen. My laptop is plugged in always. Can someone tell me why my laptop powers off after say 1.5 hour or maybe 2 hours? I don't know the exact time but i have had a few times when i come back... my laptop is powered off and i need to power it back on. Im pretty certain i made my computer not sleep or hibernate or anything like that a while back. Thus it does not do this even if i don't touch my mouse for a while. However, it seems like if im away for 1.5 hours or more... i dont know exact time... then this sometimes happens.

Can someone tell me what setting i have to check to see why it does this?

Also if im downloading some files in the meantime while im in bed... is it safer to lock my computer? Thus earlier when i was away, i made sure i lock my computer with the win10 screen... i was downloading a certain file. So when im in bed, doing this is best right? I know that when you lock your computer, well any download you currently have continues downloading right?