Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also i have the 56whr battery. Last year when i bought a replacement battery, i bought the 84whr by accident since when i went to repair shop to have them replace it, they told me it was the wrong one. So i had to buy the 56whr one. So this battery is worst than the 84whr one? Well my laptop is only compatible with the 56whr one. But i read some ppl can use either? Is there a reason why? Is it because my computer came with a 32gb ssd or something like that as a second drive?

I want to be able to get as much battery as i can here. If i never updated bios, could they affect all of this? I never done anything with bios.

But im frustrated i have such poor battery life on this laptop. If i could get 3 hours on it... that would be more than good enough. I get 1.5 hours max and that seems to be with everything low for battery and 25 percent screen brightness...

2. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You need to find out your BIOS version and not the BIOS Mode what the system is running in e.g. UEFI, which is in fact right and what you want.

Right-click the Start button and then choose Run
    In the Run search box, enter msinfo32 and choose OK
    On the System information window under the columns Item and Value 1/2 way down look for Bios vers... the numbers that follow is what you want and want to know.

As far as your other post with the series of Battery questions, I really would like to help you with that as well yet unfortunately my 9550 is strictly a Desktop replacement and I Never use the Battery as it's always plugged in to the AC. You will definitely get much more accurate answers and suggestions from the gracious members who in fact do run their 9550 on Battery.

What I can only unfortunately suggest is, check the overall Health of the Battery in Windows or with 3rd party apps/software and make sure in the Taskbar after you left click the Battery icon that it shows Fully charged (100%) and Power saver is selected and Disable all type of Windows special effects, animations and unneeded etc. and turn off WiFi & Bluetooth if not needed when running on Battery.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  3. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've used laptops for over twenty five years and have never in that time had real world battery usage match what the manufacturer advertised. That is, using the machine the way I want with the screen brightness high enough to p;rovide the finest picture (many of my previous laptops didn't have very bright screens as in the old days that wasn't much of a priority) was always more important than battery life as we use our plugged in almost all the time.

That being said, our 9550's have VERY bright screens being rated at over 400 nits. I keep my screen at 75% brightness and that is more than enough. The rare times we use our machines on battery alone we typically got 2 to 3 hours which we have learned to live with to be able to enjoy the power of the machine.

Drew1, what you seem to be trying to to accomplish by lowering the screen brightness and throttling the cpu seems to me as sort of like buying a Ferrari and then not driving it to save on gas because it only gets five or six miles to the gallon.

Just saying.

4. jasell

jasell Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Have you turned off keyboard backlight? That and screen brightness are the biggest non-value adding consumers to me.

Also doing proper restart helps getting all driver in a correct state so that power saving mode is actually entered. Many times my screen run full brightness even though it is set
    to lowest possible, a restart fixes that.

I get from 3-6 hours from my 5510 with the large battery, I got 8 hours some time when the unit was new.

As you have two drives you consume slightly more power, and you have the smaller battery, so you are not setup for max battery operation.

Try find a power schema for max Battery operation or Silent mode (silent will avoid fans, and throttles rather than cools, which saves power).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried cramming 2 sodimms of 32gb in one of these? I'm due for a little ram upgrade.

-Aeny

pressing likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have 2 x16GB on 9550.

There were very few laptops of the era that permitted 64GB of RAM (I was looking to make a huge ramdisc at the time). The Eurocom (& derivatives) with desktop 6700K (and similar), Lenovo Xenons.

Unless 64GB RAM support is explicitly stated, I suspect that any laptop with 2 RAM slots might need BIOS work to accept 2x32GB sodimms. But maybe laptops with 4 RAM slots might accept 4x16GB sodimms. No idea if any of that would work.

I see Samsung 32GB sodimm at Newegg but these modules are certainly not widespread. I'm not sure they actually exist lol.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/meet-the-laptop-with-64gb-ram-5tb-ssd-and-6-usb-ports-798862
    https://www.theverge.com/2015/8/11/9129681/lenovo-skylake-xeon-notebooks-p50-p70

7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hi there.

Bios Version/Date Dell Inc. 01.00.07, 11/2/2015
    SMBIOS Version 2.8
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255

Thus i never touched my bios right? I got this laptop in late 2016. So could this be the reason my battery has always been bad?

When my laptop is fully charged, it does say fully charged 100% on it. You say you use it as a desktop replacement. By that you basically mean you have it plugged in always correct and rarely unplug the charger? I do the same thing. But just to confirm... someone else mentioned this. You always want to have it fully charged and rarely if ever on battery right? Thus if you do that, it hurts the battery? I always thought with laptop battery, when its fully charged, you suppose to unplug it and use it until it gets down to say 20 percent or so... then charge it again to 100% and repeat that process. Because i thought having it fully charged 100% while keep having it plugged it hurts the battery... so that is completely wrong? Thus if you do unplug it and plug it back when battery is low, this degrades your battery so to speak? But I do pretty much use when using it have it plugged in almost always. So that is correct thing to do?

Well i always use wifi on the computer. How do i turn of the windows special effects and animations? Again when i type in task manager, i have over 70 background processes. I have over 80 windows processes. Most of them say service host: ......But most doesn't seem to use much or any cpu or memory.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Which processor do you have? What battery do you have? I have the i5-6300hq and i read that this processor means worst battery than i7 processor... is that true or false? Also my battery is 56whr only. There is a 84whr battery i know but the issue is that is not compatible with my laptop. Last year i bought laptop battery replacement... got it.. then find out it was too long and not compatible with mine. But i read if you have that battery, it last longer right because of the higher whr? Im curious but do you guys who have the xps 15 9550... could you use either 56whr or 84whr battery? Because my laptop when opened... the guy who replaced my battery last year told me... the battery i bought was not compatible because it was too long. So i had to buy the 56whr one.

Also does ram affect battery life? I have 8gb of ram. I have ssd as well. The other thing is this. I use ton of chrome tabs and have them opened even when not using it. But when i closed all my chrome tabs and just used my laptop on battery, i had best battery mode thus lowest setting and screen at 25%, i got 1.5 hours mostly on battery before i needed to charge it. Don't you think that is way too low though? 1.5 hours? Now what you are doing something computer intensive? Dell advertises 4.5 hours. I don't even get half that amount. And remember... im doing this with lowest battery setting and 25% screen brightness...

But could it be because i never did anything with my bios. I posted my bios version. Thus i never updated or did anything with that ever... because well i didn't know or ever used bios.

9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

So you are saying turning keyboard backlight and screen brightness did not do much for you? Because i definitely feel like the screen brightness when i make it from 100 percent to 25% doesn't really do that much either. I mean it might be 15 minutes max maybe? I didn't test it fully but i recall when i left my computer unplugged and at 100 percent brightness and highest battery setting, it wears out pretty quickly when im out of the apartment for an hour and you need to recharge it pretty quick.

So i can't remove one of the drives right? Right now i have a samsung ssd that is 250gb... and i believe a 32gb mssd or something like that? I know that was already inside my laptop when i first got it. So that is causing my battery to be poor? I can't remove that right? Now my battery is the smaller one. So basically because i have that 2nd hard drive, i can only use the 56whr battery which screws me over a bit since i cannot use the 84whr one right? I previously bought a 84whr battery to replace it but then i found out when bringing it to a laptop repair shop for guy to replace, he said... this battery is not compatible...its too long. Thats when i figured out... they had two types of battery for it. I had to buy the 56whr one and had him put that in.

So do most ppl have the option to use either the 56 or 84 whr battery? What percentage of ppl here use the 84 vs the 56? How many ppl here use the 56? How many ppl only can use the 56whr because they have that 2nd hard drive? I assume most ppl who are happy with the xps 15 9550 have the 84whr battery right? So those of you with that battery, you only have one hard drive in your computer which is a ssd most likely? And you dont have that mini 32gb ssd drive that come along with it?

10. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell initially published that their new XPS 15 L502x had a max ram capacity of 8GB. However, folks soon found out that it would run 16GB just fine.

So, I guess it might be possible.