Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With the system restore point, i have done that back in windows 7. I think i also did this with windows 10 as well. But this would probably be the best option for me right? Last time when i had an issue, i recalled i just clicked on system restore and it went back to certain time and then computer was fine and i still had programs that i did not delete. But do i have to create a system restore point? Or does it automatically does it for me? Example say later on i want to system restore, how far/early can i go? I believe windows 7 gave me lot of choices as how far back i want to do it.

2. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are very welcome and like I said, that's quite alright if you don't feel comfortable doing something as believe me, EVERYONE does at one point in their lives as well.

A BIG KUDO's to you for already backing up EVERYTHING you need as that is the smartest thing we all can & should do.

I cannot really tell you what is important to others yet what I meant is, you don't have to back up the entire program(s) you installed on your computer such as, MS Word, Excel, Outlook and etc. you only need to backup the FILES (Documents) you generated with them. Yes definitely make a backup of your important & needed passwords and even go one BIG step further and go the Old-fashioned way and WRITE them down on a pad or sheet of paper as well.;)

The programs wil not be there if you didn't CLONE your system (Making an EXACT Duplicate of it) with programs such as Macrium.
    You only back up the FILES that are used by "itunes, winamp, etc." Not the actual program & apps. FYI - itunes, cloud, skype and etc. are apps that are automatically installed on the computer attached to the Windows installation. I'm referring to added programs that YOU install from a setup file that YOU purchased either on CD/DVD or USB or directly Online such as, MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop, Quickens and etc.

Like I already said, I cannot tell you what's important to others and what's important to you may not be important to them and Vice versa!;)
    They backup their needed things to whatever they have or choose so in the event of a BRICK or complete failure they have EVERYTHING
    they need to move on, Documents, Files, Photo's and etc.........

"Also say you have lof of music on your computer. Well if you just transfer it to your external hard drive like drag that folder or songs to external hard drive, well you already did it right?"
    That's A VERY BIG RIGHT. ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I been using computers for a while already. But doing reinstalling etc is not my thing. Any type of installation where it requires more than novice would be something i dont want to do.

Well when people say back up your important files and documents, so there isn't a button out there like when you go to start and then click on this and that, that it backs up your entire computer? Because THAT is what i always thought people meant by backing up any important documents. For me, i basically just either drag files that are important to the usb stick or external hard drive. Like say i have 30 documents on my documents i want to backup to a usb or external hard drive. I would just select all those... then copy into the usb or external hard drive. Thus im like MANUALLY backing up my important documents to another hard drive. So does that count as backing up or not really? As for having a backup of my important documents online, i would do similar except when i go on cloud service, i would click on select file or files or folder and then choose all the files i want to be stored in my cloud account. That is what is meant by backing it up documents to a a cloud site correct?

Well that is what i mean... like those programs like ms word, excel etc. The thing is on my computer, i do have a copy of microsoft office i believe where a few years ago, i brought laptop there to have an old hard drive taken out and a ssd put in. I bought this laptop on ebay few years ago that is new... but im not sure if was or not but it was pretty much spotless condition. And i had old ssd so a repair shop i go to took out the hard drive it came with it and put in this one. Then i believe he installed windows 10 pro for me free and gave me microsoft office with it? Im pretty sure he helped me upgrade it to windows 10 pro. And he installed a copy of microsoft office as well. So if i dont backup microsoft office, then i wont have it if i do a clean reinstall in future? But what about windows 10 pro? Because i believe my laptop is windows 10 home but he upgraded it for me there. Again this was 2 years ago so i dont remember details exactly but im positive he upgraded me to windows 10 pro and installed microsoft office for me.

I never installed any program from a cd etc.

So based on all this i mentioned, does that mean i basically did enough as for backing up my important files? My important files are basically documents that are important and also pictures/music but of course that isn't that big of a deal but i did back that up as well.

When people backup their computer, do most make clones or not? That is much more complicated and longer right? Thus for most ppl, they dont bother with this?

I just clicked on start and typed in excel and word and i do have excel and word 2016. But im pretty certain that guy at repair shop installed that for me... most likely with a cd? So if i do clean reinstall in future, im guessing i lose the windows 10 pro and the microsoft office 2016?

4. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    System restore will automatically periodically create a new restore point when you do things like install or uninstall software, do Windows updates, etc. Also, you can manually create a restore point at any time you choose to do so.

How many restore points are available and how far back you go depends on how much space you have allotted for restore points. The more space you have allotted for restore points, the more restore points you will have available. When the space you have allotted is used up, the oldest restore points will automatically be deleted. You can check how much space you have allotted by typing "create restore point" in the Windows search box at the bottom left side of the screen. Then, in the "Protection Settings" box, highlight OS (C) (System). Then, click on "Configure Settings". There, you can adjust the slider to increase or decrease the amount of space allotted for restore points.

In the past, I've found System Restore to be hit and miss with regard to solving problems. Instead of relying on System Restore, I prefer to have a System Image of my entire C drive to use if I need to fix a problem. You can create a System Image either with Windows Back Up and Restore or with 3rd party software. The System Image will be an exact copy of your C drive, including all programs, files, and settings that were in place at the time when the System Image was created.

It is important to note, though, that, if you want to be able to use a System Image to fix a problem, the System Image needs to have been created at a time when everything was working properly on your computer. Since restoring your computer with a System Image will restore all of your programs, settings, files, etc. to the ones that were there when the System Image was created, if you created the System Image at a time when you had a virus, driver issue, or other problem, using that System image will just put whatever caused the problem back on your C drive.

For me, after I make any changes in the computer and have made sure that everything is working properly, that is when I'll make a new System Image that I can use if a problem develops in the future. In between the times when I make new System Images, I will also regularly back up my documents, pictures, and other files.

custom90gt and SDeP58 like this.
  5. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Drew1, member lesz couldn't of graciously said it any better or detailed it any greater.

Yes you definitely did backup all your needed files and Yes it definitely does count as backing up as well. There are different ways to backup your needed data & files, as member lesz has graciously outlined, yet in the end as long as you have what you need then you are backed up.
    Try the free version of Macrium and just play with it, with unneeded files of course, as in my Book, the way to learn ANYTHING is with OJT (On Job Training);)

Like I said, if I were you I would go First the System Restore route and check things out for awhile or use the Recovery option in settings. This will keep your presently installed OS and most programs and be the EASIEST way for you.
    If you did a FRESH install and not a Windows Recovery option or complete system backup then Yes you would lose anything that your tech installed on your system for you such as Microsoft Office and anything else. I don't think you would lose Windows 10 Pro because I believe once it's installed it now becomes your default OS.

Best of Luck!!!

Drew1 likes this.
  6. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Nothing personal but I didn't read all of the last 3 posts after starting the 3rd up, just to chip in I use Macrium reflect home edition (paid version) to backup over the network. I create a master image soon after installing windows (I reinstall every 6 months once the latest large update or RS release comes out) and then do a daily incremental saving the last 30 save points before the master copy is merged with the next in line (synthetic full backup)

This means that a balls up or problem that isn't worth spending more than 10 minutes on is fixed via a USB network dongle and running the restore to the previous day (or earlier if needed) as it only takes minutes to restore due to Macrium using the changed block tracker and only replacing changed parts of the drive unlike other solutions that restore the entire drive taking hours. This is why I say a problem that takes longer than 10 minutes isn't worth troubleshooting as a day rolld back is quicker!

On top of this important stuff (especially priceless family pictures) is also backed up online and old images stored on my network drives.

You can never have enough backups and a backup is only a backup when you have a backup of that backup.

Some of the features I use are only in the paid version but the free will allow Grandfather, Father and son backups (master, weekly and daily backups)

If you want a proper backup solution give Macrium a go as you get a free trial https://www.macrium.com/products/home

Also office 365 is a no brainer as you get 1tb of space per account so a home version has 5 1tb accounts to make use of.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    JaTXaR, custom90gt and pressing like this.
  7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all.

1. Is there a reason why f5 doesn't work to refresh the page? I rarely use the keyboard on the laptop as i connect it to external monitor and use a wired keyboard

2. I never done this before on the dell xps but you could actually make screen brighter or not brighter and/or increase the volume and vice versa with the function buttons? I never tried to click any of the function buttons because i dont want to mess anything up. But if i do this, i could just press the button as is or i need to hold shift? Can someone tell me what function button is for increase/decrease brightness and volume?

3. Is there a way to get better battery and what tips what you suggest? I get about 2 to 2.5 hours battery max usually as i am doing something where it uses decent amount of ram etc. And of course i have lot of chrome tabs. I checked youtube and some things they mentioned that could make your battery last longer on laptop include

1. Turn off the backlight on the keyboard- I noticed there is a backlight on this keyboard a while back. I always thought hey thats kind of nice but it serves me no purpose. Can you turn it off and if so, does it preserve battery? The youtube video i saw says it saves like 15% battery.

2. Power saver mode- I'm bit confused on this. When i click on battery i have option to make brightness 0, 25, 50, 75 or 100 percent. So you can't make it say 35 percent or any other number correct? So here, i guess make it 50 percent if want more battery? There is also option, battery saver mode, better battery, better performance and best performance. I almost always have laptop connected to outlet even when battery is 100%. That is fine right? Or its best to unplug it every 2 hours and when it drops to say 20% battery, then plug it back again? That to me is a bit annoying. But when i unplug battery, i only unplug it from the battery port on my laptop, im obviously not unplugging the whole thing from outlet. But do most of you just leave it plugged in? And for the battery options, do most of you just make brightness 100% and best performance while plugged? But if its not plugged, make it 50% brightness and better battery? What confuses me is in the video, it shows how you could pick your battery plan as it showed that laptop battery as Balance. But how do i know if im on balance nor or not? Because if you click on battery icon on the right, if you change it to battery saver, well could you still be on balanced?

Related to this, if you are doing something where it uses decent amount of memory, just keep it better performance or best performance right? Otherwise it would lag quite a bit? I recalled i made it power mode on battery and made it battery savery or better battery but it lagged a little. But when i made it best performance it was lot better.

3. What about all the things in the background? Example when laptop starts up, i know there are lot of programs that start up as well. But how do i know which one i don't need etc. Thus, do all those programs make battery worst?

How many hours do you all get on your dell xps 15 9550? When i got it new, i say it would get close to 3 hours. But after a while it was much less. I even got a new battery. But i say if im using it at say full brightness and max performance which i almost always do... let say i dont have it connected to outlet, i say 2 hours is how much it typically gets. That is around right? I have had quite a few laptops. Even have a chromebook. And whenever they advertise okay this dell xps gets 7 hours or battery... and the chromebook gets 10 hours of battery... i dont know where they get these numbers from. Do they assume you are not using the computer every minute or something? Because xps gets max 2.5 hours. I mean i could possibly be 3 if you are say not watching video or anything intensive. Even when browsing, i dont get 3 hours. On chromebook, if you watch youtube or something, you get probably 3.5 hours max. Even if i web browse, i never get that much hours. I mean are all these advertising fake? If you are an intensive user like open like of chrome tabs and watch video all the time, i guess that don't apply to you? Still, i dont know how anyone get 10 hours of battery unless they have everything brightness low and they are typing something on word or excel etc...

SDeP58 and pressing like this.
  8. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Yes it's the Fn (Function Key) and F5 pushed together.

F11 & F12 without the Function Key.

Great using the Internet search is what you want to do FIRST.

Yes push the F10 key without the Function key until it cycles through to OFF.

Here's another series of questions that is individualized to the certain individuals need. Users choose their power scheme and etc. based on what their doing and what they do & don't need and this is something that you have to find out for yourself on what options yields you the best life & performance for your needs.

Do an Internet search for this question as there are ENDLESS sites that tell you what you can do for best performance such as turn off all the default Bell's, Button's & Pretty Whistles and etc. If I get some free time today I will gratefully post some links for you to look over.

Unfortunately my unit is Strictly a Desk Top Replacement so I cannot help you here as I don't use the battery at all yet I'm sure some of the GREAT members will chime in and graciously answer this question for you correctly.

Finally, I cannot begin to tell you how much not only I yet I'm pretty sure others GREATLY APPRECIATE you numbering your questions instead of putting them in and endless long post , as it's just SO MUCH EASIER to address them individually, so A BIG KUDO's to you!!!:vbthumbsup:

Best Regards,
    SDeP58

PS - Remember: No one is born knowing EVERYTHING and case-in-point, I read and read and tried and tried the gracious provided instructions until I could understand and get the multiple quotes within one post working, which you can see I was obviously successful doing with the reply to your post. ;)

Now trying to learn how to Multiple quotes in Multiple posts well that's probably going to be another BIG lesson for me, especially with my very limited abilities.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    custom90gt likes this.
  9. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Drew1,

As promised, Below are some links chock-full of Windows 10 Tips & Tricks. Some might be redundant yet you definitely get enough information to Tweak your system to your liking & needs.

I don't know if it's included in any of the links or not yet I personally like the Quick Launch on the taskbar Tweak, as it doesn't speed up the physical system per say, yet it definitely speeds up ones production working with and needing multiple applications.

Hope they help & All the Best,
    SDeP58

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/easy-ways-to-speed-up-windows-10/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/speed-windows-10-boot-shut/

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/26138/how-to-speed-up-windows-10

https://fossbytes.com/speed-up-windows-performance-tips/

https://www.techzac.com/increase-internet-speed-in-windows-10/

10. Garcia98

Garcia98 Newbie

Reputations:
    By default Fn keys are locked to their secondary function, you can change this behaviour pressing Fn + Esc then you will be able to use F5 to refresh a page (but you have to press Fn + F1,F2... to use their secondary functions that are labeled on the keycap).

SDeP58 likes this.