Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. codester

codester Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    FYI for others that may be taking their time to answer this...don’t bother, it’s been cross posted and answered in at least a few other forums, which is typical behavior for this user. (Thanks @SDeP58 for catching this earlier.)

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/monitor-recommendation-for-dual-monitor-with-displayport-hdmi-dvi.109262

https://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/416663-usb-c-displayport-cable-vs-hdmi-dvi-cable.html

https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-c...dation-dual-monitor-displayport-hdmi-dvi.html

SDeP58 likes this.
  2. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks but as PhilTheHill said, they are exactly the same and Dell really needs to Stop this ridiculous garbage.

I really hate to say this yet I truly believe you hit the proverbial nail right on the head when you classified this individual as a "user", as he/she refuses, for whatever reason, to rightfully share their found solution(s) & fixes so others can prosper as well.

I know that this is not mandatory yet in my BOOK, it's just plain outright selfish & wrong.

I just wanted to help out all you great members yet I had absolutely no idea that I was referring to an update that has been disgracefully out and being used since this past August and I just couldn't agree with you more.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2018 at 6:27 AM
  3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hi there. First off, that person posted their recommendation. But i didn't order that cable and will be ordering another cable. I have not received the cable yet. When it works, i will post that it works. What is the purpose of me saying okay this cable will work if i haven't tried it yet?

I also did not order the 2nd monitor yet as well. I wanted to see what others say before i buy it online. I have many times ordered something and then it didn't work and i had to either return it or couldn't return it anymore.

Okay this is frustrating. I was out and had shut down my computer before i left. I sometimes leave computer on sometimes don't. I came and noticed when i opened my laptop it was powered on which made no sense. I was close to 100 percent sure i shut it down because when i did, i made sure power was off before i closed the lid to my laptop.

I then used it for a bit and then decided to power off my laptop... it did... but then like 2-3 few seconds later it automatically powered back on itself. I had this happen once or twice months ago. However, i think when i click shut down... it actually restarted as oppose to shutdown. This time.. it shut down... then few seconds later powers back on. Has anyone had this happened? I googled this and saw a few people having this issue but when i clicked on those sites, others said they could not fix the issue. Last time i think i fixed this issue ... the one where i click shut down but it restart instead...someone told me to do some fast shutdown where doing it would immediately shut computer down when clicking shutdown. But the issue was if i do this, when i start up my laptop, it would not be as fast. Does anyone know what im talking about here? Someone on this thread mentioned this to me months ago. So i did this and my laptop had no issues turning off when i click shutdown.

So after it just powered back on, i decided to click on the windows defender security center and check for viruses. The first one i did was the basic one which was very quick. Then i did the full scan which took few hours. After each one, there were no threats, scans. However, say 15 minutes later or a bit longer, i get a notification windows defender has detected a threat. Many times my dell xps laptop would just have these notifications like windows defender scanned computer and found no threats randomly even though i never clicked on scan. Well this time, it said i had a threat and when i clicked on it, it was a trojan. The date showed today as well. Does that mean it came from today? Yes i do visit websites but not sure if that is the case. But i then removed the trojan/threat and it shows no issue there now. So when i remove it, then its fine and i don't have to worry about that anymore. So how do i fix this issue of the laptop turning off and restarting like 2-3 seconds later? When i click shutdown, thats what it does now. I know i could just hold power for a few seconds to turn it off but i know doing that is not good for laptop because that is improper shutdown.

Okay i think the trojan was something called bitrep but im not 100 percent sure. But if i removed it... is that good enough?

Could that have caused this? When i turned on my laptop earlier today, there was no issue at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    SDeP58 likes this.
  4. SDeP58

Reputations:
    That's all we are ALL saying just let us know how you made out with your posted questions & issues so others can hopefully prosper as well. ;)

custom90gt likes this.
  5. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    @Drew1, it may be time for a windows reinstall. Sometimes odd power issues like that are impossible to track down.

SDeP58 likes this.
  6. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Drew1, I just couldn't agree with custom90gt more, as I really think it's definitely now time with all of your ongoing issues to backup all your important data and do a complete fresh install of Windows 10. Now you're starting out fresh with a good restore point and you yourself will be able to determine what program(s) could be causing your issues as you one by one install them back.

I'm really very surprised that all that was found on your system is just a Trojan, especially with all the endless websites & tabs you open and personally I think you can definitely benefit with a good malware program as well. All your power and other system issues can easily be caused by malware, viruses and etc. and a clean install will eradicate it all and you now start FRESH! ;)

custom90gt likes this.
  7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Okay so after i posted that, now i don't have this issue. However, what i did was before i clicked shutdown... i unplugged my charger first. I read something about this when googling so i tried this and it worked. I will probably go back to just shutting it down as normal but if that is an issue, don't mind unplugging charger before shutdown. Has anyone heard of this?

I'm very hesitant on doing a windows reinstall. I have done this a few times with old laptops like windows 7. I never done it correctly as everytime i did it, say its a 500gb hard drive thats in it. Or a 250gb ssd etc. Everytime i did this, it would still show like i used up 50gb and old files were still found in it. Thus i done this many times with old windows 7 laptop and desktop and never got it right... remove everything fully.

I never done this with windows 10 and if i did this, i would be very hesistant. Im someone that gets very anxious when having to do things like this. Even when i get battery change or if i need ram change, i don't do it myself because i dont want to risk breaking something.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

If i back up everything, does this mean if i use another laptop or the same laptop, then i transfer everything back into it and everything would be the same? Thus the same logos on the desktop, all the files etc? If i do this, you recommend me to back everything to ... an external hard drive? I do have one that is like 1tb i believe.

i have 232gb in my ssd. It shows about 70gb free. So that should take how many hours to do it? So when i back up everything, don't touch the laptop and just let it do its your until done? Im guessing it would take say at least 6 hours minimum? What worries me is if something goes wrong in the backup etc. What do i do there? So people who do backups, thats in case something happens to their computer ... and they can take everything into a different computer? That computer has to be also windows 10 correct?

Do you have link on the direct steps to do this? Such as i would want exact detail steps because many times i do things and then it ask me do i want to do this or extract it to which disk...im not sure so i pick on recommended or whichever looks correct. This is probably why i never clean reinstall correct every won windows 7.

9. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Drew1,

I would never want nor expect someone to do anything that their just not comfortable doing and FYI you can in fact skip the fresh install and just use the recovery or system restore built into Windows yet in the end it's ultimately your call.

What I can answer for you is, No, when you do a complete fresh install of Windows you don't get the exact icons, wallpaper and etc. as you have now as you more than likely installed other added programs and etc. which were assigned icons & shortcuts for quick launch or whatever, yet if you so choose to go the Windows recovery route you get the option of keeping all your files or wiping it clean. I still very STRONGLY encourage you, if you choose that route, to still backup EVERYTHING that you need in case something does go wrong, as remember, man made the computer and not the other way around! ;)

Member GoNz0 once had in his signature (at the very bottom) a gracious Bloatware (Unneeded Garbage) free install of Windows 10 yet you have to check to see if he still does as I honestly don't know any longer.

Yes, whatever accessory you choose for your backup be it a flash drive, external hard drive or etc. you just need the necessary available space on it and don't think by any means it's overkill if you back your important stuff up on a couple of things as in my Book, you can never have too much backup on the things you really need.

If you do decide to do it what I suggest you do is, first thoroughly read the link I provided below until you greatly understand it and whatever you don't understand of course feel free to post in this great venue and forum as that's what it's all about here, you helping others & others hopefully helping you.

You just need to backup your needed files for your needed programs along with pictures, movies and whatever and not the entire program(s), as once you do the fresh install you have to reinstall all your needed programs and files back into Windows.

FYI, there are in fact great clone programs available such as Macrium that will enable you to do just that and clone your entire system onto another peripheral accessory yet just between you & I and especially with your understandable limited ability & fear, just stick to the aforementioned and provided link. ;)

Finally, make sure if you go the fresh install route that you make a copy of the network driver if you in fact have the default Broadcom DW1830 wireless card in your system, as for whatever crazy reason the fresh install media doesn't include it, and you need it to access the Internet once you're all done and up and running to get your needed updates, drivers and whatever.

Best of Luck,
    SDeP58

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

custom90gt and Drew1 like this.
  10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi there thanks for the response. I am definitely not comfortable doing a clean restall of this laptop even if i backed everything up correctly.

Well the thing is this. I did back up my important documents... example my documents/pictures and any important files already in a usb stick. I even saved them to a cloud service as well in case something goes wrong with my computer. Thus imagine i have say 100 documents to make it simple that are important to me.. those documents are already on my usb stick and cloud service.
    Obviously that isn't anywhere near the amount of gb that is used on my laptop. But when you say backup my computer, what programs exactly are backed up that are important for others? Example your documents and pictures you back them up... and assuming you use say axcrypt to encrypt it etc. Then say you use a password manager for example. You want a backup of that as well with all your passwords.

So if something goes wrong with my laptop and i have to do clean reinstall or get a new laptop, i transfer all the important files/documents from either my usb stick/external hard drive/cloud service back to my laptop. But if i backed up everything on my laptop to a hard drive, am i backing up all the programs like say itunes winamp etc? Because even though that is annoying i dont mind having to download say itunes, winamp, skype etc on my computer again. But when you say backup whole laptop, im backing up every program i ever downloaded on my computer right? Thus when i transfer everything from external hard drive to clean installed laptop or different laptop, those programs will be already there? Im curious what programs ppl have in their computer where it is very important that is NOT DOCUMENTS/FILES/PICTURES that they back up to say hard drive or cloud service. Because aren't those 3 things really the most important thing? The thing im thinking about are like say if someone uses photoshop or has a lot of games on their computer or something like that... then thats important? Like if they have to reinstall photoshop, well arent their photos already saved though? Also say you have lof of music on your computer. Well if you just transfer it to your external hard drive like drag that folder or songs to external hard drive, well you already did it right?