Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The USB audio driver is indeed only intended for those that use a TB16 or WD15.

2. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok-----but I still like the conspiracy thing----its so very DELL!

3. samastrike

samastrike Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. You may remember some months ago I was having issues where my laptop would lose power anytime it was on battery power while asleep, and reflashing the BIOS fixed it.

Well I noticed today that this issue randomly started occurring again, no firmware updates or anything to prompt it. Reflashed the BIOS again and it solved it again immediately. Looks like this issue can creep up unexpectedly without changing anything.

4. johnpd

johnpd Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any idea why there are so many people ending up with a bricked PC after applying a BIOS update? There are several posts a month in the regular Dell Support Forum of this happening.

JohnD

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Always a risk flashing BIOS so I rarely do it.

Some say it is more risky to do that from Windows vs. doing it from the BIOS interface. You would have to research that on your own.

That said, there are thousands of posts here and bricking from BIOS update is not a popular problem for the 9550.

SDeP58 likes this.
  6. johnpd

johnpd Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply. I have done it several times on my XPS 9550 as there were a lot of problems with the 9550 within the first year it came out. But it seems like in the past year these BIOS flashing issues have been escalating. I would like to bring it up to date. I am on 1.2.21 which is very old. I have always done it from within Windows. I will check out doing it from within the BIOS.

JohnD

7. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. samastrike

Reputations:
    Weird question but is anyone else with a Samsung PM951 able to read SMART data for their drive?

Asking because I've been running GSmartControl on a few laptops in my house just to check drive health and it runs fine on all of them, but on my own laptop it says unable to read SMART data. It does this with SMART reporting enabled in BIOS, and drive mode set to both RAID and AHCI.

Just wondered if anyone else's PM951 has the same issue. Thanks!

9. PhilTheHill

PhilTheHill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use CrystalDiskInfo to monitor SMART status on my 9550 with a PM951 and everthing works very well.

I did have problems early on as the 9550 came configured with RAID (rather than AHCI) disk mode and CrystalDiskInfo at that time couldn't access the SMART data. I believe the current version of CrstalDiskInfo now 'plays nicely' with the Intel RAID driver but I've not tested it myself.

I'm not familiar with GSmartControl but if it doesn't work, I'd suggest checking you're using AHCI or try using CrystalDiskInfo.

Good luck.

10. samastrike

Reputations:
    I tried using CrystalDiskInfo along with a few other SMART data reading programs and none of them can read it... These were all tested within Windows in RAID mode. I also made a bootable USB drive with GParted on, and booted from that with drive mode set to both RAID and AHCI and it can't read SMART data in either mode.

I'm not too worried as I keep regular backups and would expect an SSD to easily outlast my use of the laptop given how little I write to it.