Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know this is a little off subject here and I don't say the following to discourage anyone as well, yet this weekend I finally decided to install the Win 10 Pro full install upgrade, which I purchased off eBay awhile ago, as my unit came with Win 10 Home, and after just seeing the first benefit of being able to thankfully defer pushed updates, I truly didn't know what I was missing and I honestly don't know how anyone wouldn't want this great feature especially with the usual bugs & needed fixes and TERRIBLE timing delivering them.

I never used BitLocker before yet something just tells me that after I properly learn it I will be glad I now have this feature as well as whatever other tweaks and etc come with Win10 Pro.

2. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not yet. Still marking time just in case something else pops up and then I can further strengthen my case.

3. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Yeah I figured that you didn't send it in yet as otherwise you would've updated us.

Well Best of Luck and I hope you ultimately get everything rightfully sorted out.

4. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For me, that is the #1 advantage of Windows 10 Pro and the main reason why I won't buy a computer with just Windows 10 Home. I consider the ability to defer installation of updates or to skip them entirely to be a must feature. Further, being able to have access to the Group Policy Editor, which is not available in Windows 10 home, allows for a few other very nice customizations.

SDeP58 likes this.
  5. SDeP58

Reputations:
    I hear you LOUD & CLEAR now, as I unfortunately had no other option at the time of my thankful Resolution to swap my 9530 for a 9550 as it was a 9550 with Win 10 Home or Nothing and I think I wisely choose the prior. :)

My 9530 had Win 8.1 Pro so the free upgrade to Win 10 was of course to Pro yet to be totally honest with you, I Stupidly never knew that Pro had the update deferring feature and now after being able to use it I will never go back. When I got my replacement upgrade 9550 I bought a Win 10 Pro license yet I never installed it, as I hoping Dell's new refresh was going to offer a non-carbon fiber option, as I just don't like it and I know I'm definitely the very opposite of the majority. I was going to include the license & CD in my sale but now that the refresh is still unfortunately only carbon fiber i decided to just keep the 9550 and installed Win 10 Pro, which I'm real glad I did.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with group policy editor yet I will definitely read up on it and it's features and see if it's for me.

6. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone experienced a glitch with the screen not turning on when the lid is opened? I've got System Settings set to "Do Nothing" when lid is closed, but when I open the lid, the screen will stay black whilst the device is still powered. Sometimes I can get it working again by closing and re-opening the lid, but most times I need to hard restart the system...

sumsum likes this.
  7. johnpd

johnpd Newbie

Reputations:
    What BIOS, Intel graphics, and NVIDIA graphics versions do you have installed?

JohnD

8. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Set it to Sleep and then see if you have the same issue.

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Dell need to update the BIOS to let bitlocker and e-drive work together with the NVMe drives

10. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I flashed the BIOS from 1.5.1 to 1.7.0 and it seems to have fixed the black screen issue