Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I guess I am at a loss then. It would have to be putting stuff into power save mode or something like that. If you listen to music or use any usb devices after putting it to sleep, does it get hotter than 41? Perhaps you can benchmark your drive before putting it to sleep and then after? Maybe it is running at a lower power state or something.

2. adobepro

adobepro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Custom, I'm work at the moment, but I'll test that tonight, I haven't played any music yet, just a couple of youtube videos from Gamers Nexus, but didn't check the chipset temp during that. I'll also try copying files off my usb stick tonight too, before and after.

3. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I originally got me two 9550's with just a 256 GB NVME and then went through hell getting the parts to hook them up. What I found out was that besides the SATA connector, Dell uses two plastic sleeves for either side of the HDD to keep from banging around. Also, while a 2.5" SSD fits nicely, a standard 2.5" HDD is just a bit too tall and fits too snugly.

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The drive regardless of type has to be 7mm thick. Many 2.5" HDDs are 9mm thick I believe.

pressing likes this.
  5. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thinking about it, the HDD is one of those combo SSHD so is probably 9mm like you pointed out. I was worried that the case wouldn't close up properly to let that damn thermal pad on the NVME rest flush against the underside of the bottom panel but so far so good as my temps even under load usually don't go higher than 50-60 C.

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey all. So recently i got this message on my dell computer. It basically is like a small blue screen that has this message and ask if you want to do it now, remind me later, or pick a certain time etc. Everytime i had this, i just clicked on remind me later. Issue would be everyday i have this message show up.

First off, i need to do this update right no matter what?

Has there been any issues with updating and then computer having issues etc?

7. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A message about what, what is it for?
    What's the exact message?
    Do you have the Dell Update utility installed on your computer?

8. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's probably a Windows "feature" update. Check windows installed update history.
    Here and there folks have driver issues when updating so I don't think one should rush.

I've had the 1803 nagging for a while and once accidentally clicked to install (which the nagging is probably intended for). It sort-of installed but got stuck at "Requires a restart to finish installing".

9. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Member: Drew1 does this ALL THE STINKING TIME he asks his question(s) in numerous forums and when he gets his answer(s) he doesn't even have the common decency to thank or let someone know and this will be the very LAST time I answer his posts.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  10. SDeP58

Reputations:
    There are 3 new updates for Today @ Dell's site in case anyone is interested or has the need. (See attached below)

Edit: *FORGET IT as they are OLD UPDATES pointed out to me by member: GoNz0

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018