Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hear you and even Dell's USB Restore flash drive and Windows ISO unbelievably doesn't have the needed Broadcom Network driver on it so you still have to have it after you complete the Windows installation.
    I made my own USB Restore flash drive and the needed drivers are on it as well.

As far as Dell's SURPRISE Warranties go, I think their so-called Premium Support, in regards to their so-called dispatched techs, only cover hardware issues and the software is covered by their online phone techs you know "After remote diagnosis". Premium for the customer in regards to hardware issues just means where & when a customer gets serviced yet I would just check under your Warranty coverage to be sure what you have.

2. adobepro

adobepro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you can get a smaller battery and use the left side area where I think there should be room for a 2.5 drive like the Precision 5510? I just bought the XPS 9550 as a CR and the 512GB is quickly being consumed by my VM's. I didn't want the Precision 5510 since I couldn't find any with the smaller battery within my budget (they had higher specs minus the battery size and a higher price to match) I don't want to replace the 512GB with a 1TB due to price and waste of a drive, I'd rather get a smaller battery and recycle a 850 EVO that I don't use in my desktop anymore into the 9550.

Thanks!

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a 9550 with the small battery, HDD cradle & wiring harness.

If you can convince Dell to sell you the parts, that is the best route; part numbers are in the forums so you can search the forums here m8 for more details.

The cradle might be difficult to source so you could DIY some shock absorbing cradle or double sided tape I suppose.

Also, the 9550 and 9560 batteries are not 100% swapable (can't recall which way but it is documented here so make sure you don't end up with a non-functioning battery).

4. SDeP58

Reputations:
    See if you can possibly get your answers and what to do from the links below.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-15-skylake-9550-owners-lounge.783377/page-368

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-lounge.783377/page-113#post-10197849

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...50-owners-lounge.783377/page-73#post-10178030

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. adobepro

Reputations:
    Thanks Pressing! I checked out parts people and can get the cage/interposer but you're right, the 56wh battery is impossible to get as an OEM battery from Dell...but lets say I could, the in stock price is ~$100 w/shipping, plus another $50 for the cable/cage with tax/shipping...so it's approx $150, with that said...

Just three last questions....
    1. On the NVMe drive that comes with the 9550, could I use a sata m2 drive instead in that slot? I can recycle the NVMe on my X99 board, so it wont go to waste, as the NVMe goes for ~490 vs $250 for the sata version. I don't mind that considering I will have to wait to get a battery and can still find a use for the SK Hynix I got in the 9550 machine now.

2. I noticed something I can't explain. When I start the machine from a cold boot, the PCH temp reaches ~63C and hovers around ~58. But, when the machine sleeps and wakes again, it hovers around ~41C -- any ideas? (Pic attached)

3. Will the 9550 will still work without a battery? I know my other laptops do, but I hope this one does, because my Dell Venue 11 tablets do not work without a battery. I ask because if this battery goes in the future, I still want to use it connected via AC adapter.

Thanks SP, but I found the exact parts here: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/XPS-15-9550-hard-drive-interposer/td-p/4676897

1. The Isolator (ribbon cable) P\N #XDYGX

2. The Interposer (data connector P/N #3XYT5

1A/2A: Set of above 3FDY3

3. Dell 56wh battery RRCGW/M7R96

Attached Files:

6. SDeP58

Reputations:
    You will need member pressing or another computer Guru for the answers to question 1 & 2 as they are unfortunately out of my league yet the answer to question 3 is, Yes, you can run the laptop on the AC without the battery.

adobepro and pressing like this.
  7. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Lots of questions here.

You can use a 9560 battery in a 9550 but you CANNOT use a 9550 battery in a 9560.

You can use a sata m.2 drive in the 9550. If it were me, I'd just get a big sata m.2 drive and keep the big battery.

I am not entirely sure what you are talking about with the PCH temps. Are you saying that on a fresh restart and using the laptop the temps get hotter than if you put the computer to sleep then wake it up and use it for a while? What are your CPU clocks like when waking it up?

SDeP58, adobepro and pressing like this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do that. I have a Samsung 850EVO m.2 SATA SSD. On my 40GB, ultra-low latency Virtual Piano; it performs the same as the PM961 nvme. I tested several variations of that on the 9550 & 9560. Daily use felt identical also, including startup. Benchmarks of course are different but I noticed zero difference.

Once again, the cage is not necessary for the 2.5" drive. If you are going to use a HDD it is not a bad idea as it seems to be engineered for some shock and vibration mitigation.

Not sure if it will run without a battery installed. Some of my other laptops run without a battery but the CPU speeds are limited as the battery is used for extra power.

SDeP58, adobepro and custom90gt like this.
  9. adobepro

Reputations:
    Thanks SP on that, good to know as I plan to keep this for 4 years and then tentatively pickup a XPS 9580 as a CR (only if they still use glossy panels.) I love my still working M4400 (which has the perfect lightest AG coating I've ever seen with my favorite resolution of 1440x900) I got as a CR back in 2009 for around $900 (upgraded RAM and HDD to SSD afterwards), still works perfectly, just need to replace the fan as that finally went after almost 9 years last week. I also didn't know until recently that it's not a BGA, so I could swap the CPU for a Q9100, but at this point, it's a file server so it's not worth it.

SDeP58 likes this.
  10. adobepro

Reputations:
    Thanks Pressing and Custom, good to know that on the battery, have to check if they have a 56wh battery for the 9560 for sale -- but I think you're both right, keep the large battery I have now (since it will be wasted by not being used compared to the NVMe drive being put to use in the X99 board and replacing it with a m2.sata version. I think the EVO's go for around $250, I'll probably get it from NE to save on tax.

And specifically for Custom
    "I am not entirely sure what you are talking about with the PCH temps. Are you saying that on a fresh restart and using the laptop the temps get hotter than if you put the computer to sleep then wake it up and use it for a while? What are your CPU clocks like when waking it up?"

That is correct, same thing happened on my previous XPS 9550 Scratch/Dent I order and returned, but that one got into the 70's -- oddly enough, it would drop to ~37C when unplugged, but plugged in, it would skyrocket that high and if I remember correctly, hover in the 60's. Now, on the current XPS I got, I haven't unplugged it for use yet, but I will tonight to test the temps plugged in/unplugged, but just the act of putting the machine to sleep and waking it up reduces the chipset temp by ~20C

I set the max clock in the balanced profile to 60% min / 99% max and use XTU to set the voltage -120mv so the clocks are ~1GHz - 2.58GHz; the PCH goes up slightly after sleep when pushing my vm hard with postgres queries, but not past ~41-42C, but on a cold boot and doing the same thing, I can hit the 60's.