Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I uninstalled the driver in device manager rebooted it came up with the exclamation mark on so I downloaded the driver again from the dell website installed it but still comes up "with no Wi-Fi networks found".

2. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Dell tech ran diagnostics it passed but the computer wouldn't boot into windows so I had to download a copy to an USB drive and install windows from there so no he didn't stick around for any of that as he said as long as the diagnostics passed he had to go.

3. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OK. So I had some free time so I uninstalled my DW1830 wireless card in Device Manager along with the driver. I then rebooted the computer and Windows found the Network adapter without me even going to check in Device Manager and that's how it should be for you as well so don't rack your brains with Dell's driver.

Did you also check the box - Delete the driver software for this device?

Under System information what version & build of Windows 10 shows? e.g., Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Your last resort would be to open up the computer and make sure the wireless card is seated good and the 3 antenna leads are in the RIGHT places and secured as well.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  4. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did check the box to delete the software, uninstalled the wireless card rebooted no change.

I did open up the computer reseated the card and checked the cables all are good.

Windows version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

I am not sure where to go from here other than calling Dell support again.

Thanks for all the help.

5. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Well then I would definitely agree with you and get Dell support back on the line as something just doesn't add up.

Too bad you didn't have another wireless card to swap it out and see yet from my experience, if the wireless card was in fact bad I don't believe it would get recognized at all yet I'm sure stranger things have happened to others.

Like I said, if you uninstalled the wireless card and driver in Device Manager and rebooted and Windows didn't find it like it did for me something is definitely wrong and it could just be a defective wireless card at that.

Did you try running a Custom Component Test for the Network card @ dell.com/support?
    On second thought forget that suggestion as I believe you need a network connection on the computer to test it.

Just get Dell support on the phone and ask them to overnight you another DW1830, which you can swap out yourself very easily as you don't need a service tech to do such.

6. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, I send my machine to Dell Hell in Houston and they replace the MB and send the machine back capable of booting back up into Windows and you pay for premium service and the machine won't boot and the tech tells you to take a hike!!!!

I think you have to get back in Dell's face with the whole issue including the WiFi. Tell them you suspect they did something wrong and to send another guy back.

7. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay I finally got it working I downloaded this:

Dell Wireless 1830 WiFi Driver Download
    File Name: 9550_Network_Driver_8Y3XG_WN32_1.566.0.0_A05.EXE
    Size: 30.35 MB
    Version: 1.566.0.0 ,A05

From here

https://delldrivers.net/dell-xps-15-9550-drivers-windows-10-64-bit/

So the driver I was using from the Dell tech support website wouldn't work but this one did.

Now I have to do all the updates and then test the crap out of it to make sure the board they put into it is working properly.

Yes I'm disappointed that the Dell tech couldn't stick around to make sure everything was working correctly but he said as long as the computer passes diagnostics then I was responsible to install windows myself.

I think they should be giving the dell techs an installation USB key so if there are issues like this at least I would be able to install windows, computer won't work if I can't get into windows so where would that leave the regular person who knows nothing about computers.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and suggestions.

8. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Yeah...but I only give jabbok my suggestions as I will do ANYTHING I can in order to keep from having an All-Thumbs-Learn-As-You-Go so-called technician taking apart my computer and damaging or breaking something else through the process.

9. SDeP58

Reputations:
    That's GREAT yet what still troubles me is, I just knew it was software and not hardware related yet the truth is, you grab at straws when something doesn't work as it should, yet why didn't Windows assign the correct driver to the adapter as it did for me, as we're both running the same Version & Build? :-/
    I didn't need any Dell driver to be up and running yet I'm glad your issue is all behind you now.

As far as Dell saying goodbye once they test and verify a replacement part is working fine is, they more then likely want their technicians only touching what they're being paid to do an not a thing more. In defense for them, they don't want to be involved on the Windows OS end unless they absolutely have to or if the customer paid for $oftware $upport as well, which they offer the option for...Cha-Ching, Cha-Ching, Cha-Ching$$$

10. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That was my concern too that windows didn't assign the correct driver to it and in all honesty Dell should have the right drivers on their site so I don't have to go looking all over the internet to find one that works.

I have premium support so I am pretty sure that covers software as well, I was told to respond to the email that support gave to me when I called about service to begin with but that didn't work too well either as they wanted an 1 hour window in which to call me to sort this out but they still didn't call within the window I gave them just sent another email telling me the window had expired and could I provide another one.

Again I really appreciate all the help here.