Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ask if old Mike's available to come with and see up close what you've been dealing with.

2. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I spoke with Dell they are sending out a technician with a mainboard so we will see if this fixes the problem, if I have any other issues with this notebook they are going to have to replace it as it's getting to a point of being ridiculous.

3. mhtritter

mhtritter Newbie

Reputations:
    My 9550 with i7-6700HQ and GTX960M had run perfectly for years, then did a clean install of 1803 and now throttles so badly I cannot play games. A $2700 laptop [$2400US, and then updated the RAM to 32GB DDR4-2666 for $300] and now I cannot even play Asphalt 8 at the Medium graphics setting. My $450 Toshiba Satellite from 4 years ago plays better.

Worse, I did a clean install of 1803, so I cannot roll back and I cannot get the boot to install 1709.

I've done everything possible solution I've found on the web; new paste job, underclocking, ThrottleStop, trying to remove Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (reinstalled no matter what), disabling Turbo ... nothing has worked. It isn't the hardware, it is 1803, because I never had this problem before.

If anyone, ever comes up with a solution, please, Please, PLEASE post! I'm not the only one:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8llqrl/update_1803_causes_constant_thermal_throttling/

4. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well got the mainboard replaced but it wouldn't boot into windows so I had to download windows 10 install that, install all the drivers now the wireless isn't working. I reinstalled all the drivers, checked the connections, rebooted the router (although I have 2 other laptops and a phone and they work on the wireless) trying to get ahold of Dell tech support again still waiting for them to call me back.

The wireless card worked before the mainboard was replaced, I also ran the Dell diagnostics everything passed, checked in the BIOS everything looks good in there and followed all of Dell's instructions regarding the drivers to load.

5. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you look in Device Manager under Network Adapter and made sure the wireless card shows and is working properly?

What wireless card was in the first mob and is the same one showing in the replacement?

6. SDeP58

Reputations:
    I wish I could help you but unfortunately I don't play any games on my computer so I cannot check your issue or compare it.

FYI - version 1803 for what I do has been working flawlessly for me, yet I'm sure one of the gracious gamers in this thread will eventually chime in and hopefully be able to help you.

As far as being able to reinstall an earlier version of Windows, if you don't have the Pro version it's a mute point because eventually like it or not Windows will automatically get updated, which I'm sure you know. If you do have Windows Pro then once again, I'm sure one of the gracious members will eventually chime in and hopefully be able to help you.

For me, every time I had to revert back to an earlier version of Windows I had absolutely no problem doing so. I just deleted ALL the partitions on the install off the USB flash drive and installed the version on it.

Best of Luck!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  7. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's the same wireless card that was on the old motherboard, I checked device manager it says Dell Wireless 1830 802.11ac , also checked in the BIOS it shows up there too.

8. SDeP58

Reputations:
    OK. The reason I asked is because when I reinstalled my original DW1830 apparently it didn't make a good enough connection and Device manager showed an issue, which I corrected by re-seating the card, yet that's definitely not your issue.

Try uninstalling the card through the device manager even the driver and reboot the computer and see if Windows recognizes the card with it's own driver.

9. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't disregard the possibility that the guy who put the board in didn't do it properly. When I had home service on my old L502x, the guy that came to fix the freezing and BSOD issues replaced the MB and then promptly forgot to reconnect the speakers.

BTW, did the tech leave before your machine even booted?

10. SDeP58

Reputations:
    I think his issue is software related because if the wireless card wasn't installed properly Windows wouldn't recognize it as he says it does.

I would uninstall it and the driver in Device Manager and then reboot the computer and see if Windows recognizes it and installs it's own driver for it.