]]>

Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope, it doesn't make any sense. Since I went back to 1.51 two weeks ago the problems that I described in a different thread did not re-appear:
    ------------------
    In the last days I had two incidents of crash on my 9550. One after going to standby, one after wakeup from standby. This system ran totally stable and problem-free before, and the incidents really made me wonder. I now downgraded to 1.51, and am 100% sure the issues will not show up again
    ------------------

2. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not before, but now. The solutions found online are mostly crap, IMHO. This one was the only one I tried and it worked immediately:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...w/c47b5fca-cc6d-405e-b563-5ba0a4c82892?auth=1

3. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

I was debating on whether to sell my XPS 15 (9550) and get the refresh 9560 yet after reading yes 375 pages of the 9560 owners forum I think I'll keep it for awhile now, as the 9550 just unbelievably seems like the one to have.

I don't game nor do any extensive picture or video editing so it looks to me, that unless you do, the 9550 is it, especially if you have one with a great panel, solid construction and problem free and getting a good 9560 seems now to unbelievably be like a crap-shoot.

I myself have the i7 6700HQ 4K 16GB 512 with the Toshiba X3 SSD, which it was just luck getting, and all in all I'm very happy with and if yes it wasn't for the carbon fiber palm-rest, which I just unfortunately do not care for, I would be ecstatic. I did modify it so I can now easily clean it and use it like I want.

I have now been trying to extend the warranty on my unit, as it expires this August, yet Dell has changed the once easy format on doing it online and now you must do it over the phone and it's like bargaining for a computer as well.

At any rate see below for the current deals I was quoted and mind you, I am in the US.

Stay Healthy & Happy,
    SDeP58 Capture - Dell Extended Warranty.JPG Capture - Dell Warranty 2.JPG

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018 at 11:09 AM
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 3 year extension is more than the laptop is worth!

I purchased a 9560 but returned it as performance was similar to that of my 9550, for my uses. The 9560 does have a better GPU but needs more work to get thermals sorted. . .

SDeP58 likes this.
  5. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch. Yeah I thought the exact same thing and I was actually thinking on getting the premium support basic for 2 years @ $287.30 with the 15% discount so this way if I do decide to sell it in a year or so I can give the buyer a warranty with it as well, which I always like to do, and I believe it will also increase it's resale value as well.

Yeah I read your posts in 9560 forum, which you certainly & graciously helped out a lot of needed members both new and long-term yet I was unaware that you ultimately ended up returning yours.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018 at 3:11 PM
  6. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm getting $150 one year, $200 two years, $300 three years for basic support (no software support but still NBD support) + accidental damage for my 9560. You should definitely haggle.

SDeP58 likes this.
  7. SDeP58

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch for graciously letting know this because now I most definitely will.