Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. ahil4o

ahil4o Newbie

Reputations:
    Tried the suggestion, updated drivers, behaviour is the same.

Strangely enough I can get C8 package state on AC, but only after resume from suspend.

A clean boot on AC results in package being stuck in C3.

Windows/Linux make no difference to this.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. goodwin_c

goodwin_c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there somebody who has full SPI dump from 9550, made with hardware programmer? I have my Intel ME corrupted, and need another dump from some working machine.
    If somebody can - send me to good.win.alexs at gmail

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Has it not crossed your mind after the screen fubar to take a backup before you flash things? :)

Chang_loo and custom90gt like this.
  4. goodwin_c

goodwin_c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Problem with ME happened much before. I just get a time to check the cause of all weird issues with laptop - and found that after 1.6.1 update my ME stuck in unconditional state - it is permanently in 'initializing" state, ant this causes issues like when laptop is powering on much longer/not powering off fully/sleep mode is not working properly
    But i did find dump from 9550's SPI chip with A00 BIOS :-D WIll try to recover my Intel ME using that dump

GoNz0 likes this.
  5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't been messing with my 9550 much lately, then the Creators Fall update caught me and I've gone checking if all is fine. Unfortunately, I see some flags set in HWinfo64 when roughly idling with the CPU at 40 degC
    GT: Fuses limit
    RING: Max VR Voltage, ICCmax, PL4
    IA: Max Turbo limit
    Turbo Attenuation (MCT)
    (the latter two going on/off)
    Running prime95 looks okay, the CPU goes to 3.1GHz (8 threads) around 85 degC
    Any idea what's going on?

6. vladmoney

vladmoney Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was wondering if someone can please help me with frequent BSOD I've been getting. BSOD is usually preceded by slowing down/freezing of the computer for 10-15 seconds. I don't have to be doing anything in particular for it for the BSOD occur (watching videos to just idling). Looking at the reliability monitor it seems to be a result of IAStorDataSvc stopped working (followed by Windows was not shut down properly obviously).

When I check my toolbar icons I do notice that Intel RST service is not running. And I can't open the application either. I get a nice error when I try to open it: 0xA0000001: 0: Could Not Open ISI Session.

I check to see if I need to update any drivers, but it seems like it is up to date. For whatever reason, there isn't any great solutions online (although a few forum posts about it do seem to exist).

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    uninstall intel RST, reboot. If you have any devices without drivers in the device manager after then manually install the IASTOR drivers from here https://mega.nz/#!NBNywILS!QmXru22sbhmCpF-n2KNisvZHUN_TM4AZdC6MIh9x3yo Any of the listed drivers starting IaStor will work.
    If that fails you can try setting the laptop to AHCI mode via the BIOS but you will have to do this keeping the laptop in safe mode or it will BSOD when you restart.

vladmoney likes this.
  8. vladmoney

vladmoney Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No crashes since I uninstalled and installed the Intel RST. I have a green check mark next to the RST and can actually open the application. I will hopefully remember to update the status so people in the future may know the solution, but if I don't, assume that the solution worked. Thanks for the help again.

9. dimsdale

dimsdale Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone notice that the BIOS has been rolled back to 1.5.1? They took 1.6.1 down from the site about two weeks ago. Must've been some new bug in the 1.6.1, either that or it was taken down by mistake. Was waiting for it to be re-released as 1.6.2 or something, but not yet.

10. sumsum

sumsum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I assume it is because of the buggy Intel micro code, which should fix the meltdown and spectre issues. Even Intel pulled their micro Codes from january 8th. Dell may wait until Intel releases a fixed version, before they Release 1.6.2