Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. BoGet777

BoGet777 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the information!
    I remember about such problems and spoke earlier when the driver version is above 2.0.
    Most likely I will stay on the old verified version 2.0.

2. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have 2.3 driver and latest BIOS 1.51 and have no nvme problems on mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

3. Andre Mulder

Andre Mulder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone experiencing high memory use of the Dell SupportAssist Remediation? It's currently consuming 1.123MB, which is a bit high :) This is since 2 days. Resolving it now, but wondering if others find this as well.

Edit: can't uninstall, keeps running. Cancelled. Not uninstalled. Anyone know where this is part of? I couldn't run a repair action.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm having audio jack issues with my 9550, since I've read about it here before I assume that this is a known problem. Is there a revised daughterboard available or do I just have to order one and pray that it works fine? I'm getting kinda tired of messing with the audio jack until it decides to detect my headphones..

Besides this small issue it's been a wonderful and troublefree workhorse for me :)

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not revised afaik due to it being such few units with the problem.

Aeny and pressing like this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the 9550 audio jack is a bit quirky principally due to the audio drivers. There are a lot of posts here with efforts to resolve. I never really got the headphone out to work perfectly as I sometimes need to mess around with the sound panel to get sound. The good news is that the headphone out sound quality is quite good for a laptop. I use some Pro audio equipment so my situation is more complex.

Maybe using the latest drivers on the realtek site or MS drivers would work better for you. Of course the system always wants to roll back the audio drivers

Dell replaced my original daugherboard and speakers; same part numbers same performance.

If you need a gently used 9550 audio daughterboard, PM me. They work fine. But I think your issue is driver related.

Aeny likes this.
  7. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wont help you unfortunately but I'm hearing of many like Chang_loo who receive a card without question from Dell. Appears to be the norm not an exception, in case this helps anyone else

8. jordan2junior

jordan2junior Newbie

Reputations:

Sorry for crossposting. Anyone an idea what could cause this?
    Touching the XPS 9550 on a specific spot on the bottom causes the screen to glitch and system to freeze as a response.

9. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The audio driver works perfectly fine under Linux which I run full time on this machine. Issue is not driver related. I have to wiggle the 3.5 connector around in the socket to get it detected, slight movements can cause it to jump back to the speakers. Headphones work great on a myriad of other devices. Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Thank god it's not on the mainboard like the 9560, that'd be pricey to replace.

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the more detailed description.

Physical slopiness on the headphone jack is NOT a common issue on these forums.

I would guess either the audio board is not fully connected or broken or there is a short. Or the 3.5mm jack is a bit loose inside. A few things to try:

1. There are two cable connectors into the daughterboard. Disconnect the cables and reinsert carefully. Not sure if the corresponding ends can also be reseated.

2. You may have a short. I see the audio board has a plastic shield on top and the bottom is almost 100% covered with some type of black coating that may be to prevent shorts (you can see a bit of copper from factory design but make sure the protected areas are not damaged or bent).

3. Make sure the screws to the board are tight (not too tight)

4. If the 3mm jack is sloppy inside, I don't see an easy fix. Access inside might require unsoldiering the jack, disassembling it and returning to the board. But that might destroy the jack and is painful. Also the jack might have a failed soldier joint so you could touch them up.