Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Chrome lags with 32GB of ram, chromes buggy

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. Fant

Fant Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also windows caches if you have extra memory so that it takes advantage of it ... so it may just look like you are using more memory but you don't need it. With that said it's pretty easy to open this laptop. Bios should tell you whether you have one stick or two.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I meant to say it is 2 sticks but as Fant said, look in the BIOS it will tell you there.

4. bokehmon22

bokehmon22 Newbie

Reputations:
    Is Dell replacing 9550 machine with 9560? I saw one user on reddit got a replacement with 9560 I'm not sure if it's a fluke.

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I got one as well, if you fall into the replacement category (3 failed repairs) you can demand a new one.

6. bokehmon22

bokehmon22 Newbie

Reputations:
    I already have 2 repairs with the keyboards spacebar issue. Is it 3 of the same issue or different issue? How did you bring it up?

I also upgrade the ram to 32 GB. Is the 9560 and 9550 use the same ram?

Thanks

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have tried and the 2133mhx ram works fine in the 9560.
    I didn't bring it up, I moaned I was due for a 3rd visit in that year to replace a faulty fan and they started saying they had to change the mainboard, I complained the stock they send out is dodgy and I could end up with coil whine again and just to send out the fan. They offered to replace the laptop and as the 9550 was out of production I was specced up for the 9560.
    Obviously you do not get any more warranty than you already have.

8. bokehmon22

bokehmon22 Newbie

Reputations:

I didn't know the 9550 is out of production. Thank you for the info. My screen flickering is still problematic. I might request 9560 and swap my 32GB ram.

9. bokehmon22

bokehmon22 Newbie

Reputations:
    WoW Dell refused to replace it saying my system is over a year old even though I have premium support and onsite warranty for 3 years. They replaced my motherboard, now it's going to be my screen. Sigh

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Phone back, try and remain calm and tell them you have sought legal advice due to taking time off work to be in for the repair as you have zero confidence in the techs and even less in the quality of the "refurbished" parts to risk leaving the laptop with anyone else, you can throw into the mix you work on the road so this is a huge inconvenience to you. (say open quote/close quote before and after refurbished to get the point across)

State you will be starting a chargeback against Dell for the full amount and can you have a returns address as you are required to return the laptop and have proof of delivery for the card company to start a chargeback.

You can then start going on about replacing the screens not going to fix the problem as they are PWM below 25 (ish)% brightness as you have done your homework on this and that is the root cause of the issue.

yada yada yada you have have an opportunity to fix this and have not so you are left with no choice other than a replacement or refund and you don't mind going down the chargeback route as it will be faster than waiting for a refund from Dell.

And no tech support can find out how you paid, this is handled by a different department all together and it would seem neither communicate with each other :D

Good luck!

bokehmon22 likes this.