Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    All it will be is slimmed down to cut the crapware and possibly drivers locked down so I doubt anything you can't do already with a bit of work.
    Power comes from hardware so I am already dubious.

2. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Understood.

3. DuffMcShank

DuffMcShank Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So if I wanted to use the WiGig dock with the XPS 9550, would that work if I changed to a different wifi card? If so, any recommendations for one?

4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Which WiGig dock?
    You could try Intel 18260. With the additional 60GHz antenna.
    Mind wired USB3.1 dock have faster connection, let alone TB3.

5. GoNz0

Reputations:
    I think someone tried one of those and it doesn't fit due to the width of the card.

***edit, looking for the Intel 18260 on ebay shows a slimmer card than intel's site.

6. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think tke previous gen was bigger, now they have an even smaller size. Must be 2230 size.
    One would also have to fit the antenna module somewhere.

7. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Antenna module, god knows where that could go... :(

8. boidsonly

boidsonly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. Tmof

Tmof Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just got my new Dell XPS 15 with UHD display in the mail today.
    When i got it setup next to my 27" 2560 x 1440 display, Now i see that i need a higher DPI screen than the one i got, To create a more seamless working environment with the Dell XPS 15.

I have been looking at the DELL 27" 5K Display unfortunately the Dell XPS 15 will not be able to run two 5K Displays.

I`m searching for two displays with the same glass front design as the Dell XPS 15, What does the forum recommend?

Kind regards.

Tony

10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys. My laptop is Dell xps 15 9550. I purchased it last year on ebay and its been pretty good. it was bought new but not sure if its refurbished or not as people told me a while back it probably is refurbished. Best laptop i ever used in terms of speed however.

It has

i5-6300 hq processor @ 2.30 ghz

8gb ram

250gb ssd

My computer is pretty fast but the one thing is i use a lot of chrome windows. When i use task manager, it shows my Ram usage to be at least 80%. As of now it showing im using 6.5/7.9gb so 82% ram. Many times i seen it go to 90% ram. This is due to having so many chrome windows open etc.

Would a ram upgrade be a pretty good idea? And if so, does anyone know how the 8gb is installed on this computer? Thus im assuming its 2 sticks of 4gb on this computer as oppose to 1 stick 8gb ram? So if i have 2 sticks of 4gb ram, then i should buy one 8gb ram right? Then i would install one 8gb ram and keep one of those 4gb ram so i have a total of 12gb ram? Or is there a way to have the max of 16gb ram? Im assuming only way to get 16gb ram would be i have to get two 8gb ram pieces right? However, would you say 12gb ram is more than enough? Its still a very fast computer. It only lags when i have lots of chrome windows. When i don't, there isn't really anything wrong with it etc. So how would i check how many pieces of ram i have on this laptop? Also is it pretty simple to open up this laptop, and install the new ram on it? Or is it a lot complicated etc?