Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But it does not. The new TB driver did not help.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. j.murphy

j.murphy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's a real shame - I hope Dell are able to patch the driver/firmware to allow it to be supported in future although I cant say I hold high hopes they will. I wonder if the Apple adapter's bidirectional capability has something to do with it.

3. Fr.bogdan23

Fr.bogdan23 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys.... Im în really deep s**t... I just bought this Dell 9550 refurbished from America 3months ago... And today I just pressed f8 to enter to recovery and guess what... It's bricked... No display backlinght no nothing... Just keyboard backlinght and power button light /charging light.... Otherwise nothing is working.... I tried fn+power, nothing.... D+power working
    Tried to disconnect battery .. Nothing...
    The thing is that I can't use the warranty here and I initiated an ownership transfer but I'm afraid it will not work and I'm ****ed because I'm not linger in America it was just work and travel program :(((some ideas would be welcomed

pressing likes this.
  4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    F8 has a habit of bricking these i'm afraid, try Dell, the transfer is under way they should sort you out.

You could try taking the battery and BIOS battery if you're happy taking it apart.

5. Fr.bogdan23

Fr.bogdan23 Newbie

Reputations:
    I still can't understand how is this possible.... 1)No one is warning you... 2)Why is not Dell fixing this... 3)how the **** is possible a pc to be killed by a keyboard key.... This is purposely I bet Dell did this because otherwise I can't find any explanation... 2000$ laptop killed by f8... Damn... Note 7 story is baby compared to this

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fr. Bogdan23 -

That looks like a problem I had after opening up the laptop. You can see my experience here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-lounge.783377/page-248#post-10276124

You might connect an HDMI cable to an external monitor to see if that works. It might require that you select the proper screen on your keyboard. That worked for me and I figured that the LCD cable worked itself loose under the connector near the battery. Use the proper screwdriver as that is a JIS and a normal screwdriver will strip the scewhead.

7. KarolG

KarolG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Guys! Seems long time not be here. So i.ve updated all bios / upgrade to 16gb hyperX and its working like a charm for me. But.

Can somebody make video or instruction or tip on changing termal paste on this machine? I've installed a long time ago GTA V on this machine - and played it a while and after maybe 5 min of playing - cooler start work maximum and air is very hot from outtake - so i tried several times - i buy coolmaster pad for more cold air intake - i changed termal paste and clean pc - but its the same. So im thinking maybe i have done wrong termal paste change procedure. So i will be very happy if somebody who more understand pc "underhood" havee changed termal paste and maybe there is some tip?

All Bios and other drivers are the latest. Windows is fully optimized and last updates. Using this machine for music/video editing and office work - but not played any game in 5 years - and i buy gta 5 and can't play :D
    XPS 9550/16gb ram/256 SSD/FHD/i7 6700

Thanks in advance!

8. goodwin_c

goodwin_c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can confirm that swapping the wifi card with the Intel 8260 fixed my TB15 problems. Decided to risk it and bought a TB15 on eBay for $109 brand new. Has been working perfectly for a week now. I also am not getting the little random crashes and freezes. Something tells me that wifi card was leaking RF all over the mobo and causing a host of other problems as well. Shame on Dell for not just coming out and admitting the issue / issuing a FRU fix.

Kikuri likes this.
  10. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So not sure if this is a known fact but I have a Kensington SD4600P USB-C dock sitting on my desk and it charges my XPS 9550 just fine. I can't test any of the other functionality since I'm running Linux. Sound, USB and HDMI doesn't seem to work under Linux for example.

EDIT: Actually sound and USB work if it's plugged in before boot. HDMI works 20% of the time and makes the screen flicker, ethernet is no dice. This dock can only send 60W of power which is not enough for the XPS15 but it seems to keep the battery topped just fine if I don't use the dgpu.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016