Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. cdodge03

cdodge03 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I think I get the space bar issues. (uuggg just had the video driver crash) the bottom corners don't register and sometime it is hard to tell if its registering. it feels likes it kind of pushed in already. there really isn't much feedback from the key.

2. threeply

threeply Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Which chipset does the unit use?

Is it the HM170 or the CM236?

The reference guide from Dell mentions both types.

The Precision 5510, sister unit supposedly uses the CM236 which supports the Xeon.

My 2 cents

3. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd like to image my drive using acronis but haven't figured a way yet. I have an external SSD sata connect via USB. I've tried to back it up but on the acronis reboot it says it can't find one of the drives - not sure which it can't find but it is my guess it is the M2 since I've backed up to SSD via usb in the past unless I need to modify the bios.

4. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Chipset think is HM170, although will need to double check later.

Acronis need a NVMe driver added to see the PCIe drives which are NVMe. Either mod the bootable media ans insert driver (not sure how) or wait till Acronis to add that function support officially.

My Intel display driver crashes like crazy, which is a pain. I think was doing this before any Windows 10 update hit the machine, pretty sure Windows 10 has pulled down some Intel display drivers anyway to make matter the same is not worse. In any case the Intel display driver crashing often,

boe likes this.
  5. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. If anyone gets the acronis thing figured out - PLEASE post here.

6. prushing

prushing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No one is going to figure it out, Acronis does not work and nothing you try will work. The only way it will work is with winPE recovery so you can load the windows drivers, even Acronis says this.

7. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! I am unfamiliar with WinPE. If you have a link to the process acronis mentions using WinPE I would greatly appreciate it.

8. dimsdale

dimsdale Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Lots of people posting about video crashes and screen flickering. I've had zero flashing/crashes (for real) on my 9550 i7/16GB/1TB/960M/4k. Here's what I did.
    Purchased from Best Buy. Packaging indicated machine shipped to BB on Nov. 2, IIRC. Unboxed, confirmed working.
    Downloaded Win 10 Pro x64 using the Windows Media Creation tool. Presumably, this would work as well for Win 10 Home.
    Either get the f6 RAID drivers from Dell and put that on the USB (after or switch to ACHI in the bios and don't bother with the drivers. (this shouldn't make a difference for the video anyway). If you don't install the f6 drivers ("Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver" from Dell's download page) or switch to ACHI in bios, you won't see any drives when you boot to the USB to install windows.
    In the windows installer, delete every partition and install into a new blank partition. Once windows is up, install all of the windows updates. Updating will force a reboot. Once rebooted, check for updates again. Keep rebooting as required then checking for updates until there are none.
    I did NOT install ANY of the 4 dell "Applications". No Dell Digital Delivery Application, no Dell Foundation Services, no Dell Help & Support Application, no Dell Update Application.
    I did install the Dell iGPU driver "Intel HD Graphics 530/P530 Driver" called "Video_Driver_C2Y38_WN32_20.19.15.4300_A02.EXE".
    I did install the nVidia driver FROM NVIDIA directly. Did not use the Dell driver. That leaves me running nVidia driver 358.91. Dell can't possibly keep up with the pace of nVidia updating the drivers.
    After that, I installed all of the other Dell drivers, etc (except for those four). Did not downgrade the bios. (This machine shipped with 1.00.05, and the Dell site is offering only 1.00.03.)
    Running the default BIOS settings, no registry edits, no special setting anywhere.
    I didn't run the out-of-the-box factory OS install for more than an hour and didn't notice any flickering or driver crashes in that time. Because of that, I can't say that my approach actually fixed any existing flickering, just that there is no flickering.
    Hope this helps someone.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  9. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are close to doing what I did. You will get flickering if you install Win HyperV - this is an established issue with the skylake video and Hyper-V currently.

10. dimsdale

dimsdale Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You all need to be aware of this CPU clock speed problem in the 9550. Personally confirmed the problem.

XPS 15 9550, CPU Speed capped after switching from battery to AC power

See http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19660225

"I have a brand new XPS 15 9550 and I noticed that when you connect AC power after being on battery power, the CPU frequency gets capped at 1.69 GHz as opposed to the usual 3.5 GHz. The only way to fix this is to then reboot or sleep/resume the system. What is the best way to report this BIOS bug to Dell? There has to be some way to get Dell to fix the issue in a BIOS update.

I have found several other users also complaining of this same issue:

forum.notebookreview.com/.../help-needed-from-new-xps-owners-report-serious-bios-bug-to-dell.783715

I really hope Dell fixes this issue since it is unacceptable for Dell to sell such an expensive and premium machine with a glaring firmware bug that turns your i7 performance into a Pentium level of performance."