Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had some BSOD as well giving most of the time a "critical_process_died" and sometimes (rare) an "unexpected_store_exeption.

In my case, no minidump was created, so i could not check with bluescreenview or whocrashed. I looked in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive. There you find files called report.wer which you can open with notepad.

In my case the critical_process was the intel grafic driver. I manualy updated (*.inf) with the last beta driver and it seems to run much smoother now.

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Rajveer & Pascaladjaero,

Sorry to sound trivial but I use my 9550 principally for audio so have been trying to get all audio aspects to work. Still not perfect but these steps worked best for me and the audio does not crash and actually sounds fine (especially consider tiny down firing speakers).

That is not the latest Realtek driver. I had a lot of problems with older drivers both from the realtek site and from the dell site.

The configuration that works for me on FHD system:

0. W10 Pro 10586.545
    1. BIOS 1.2.10
    2. Removed maxx waves audio garbage
    3. Updated to Realtek driver 6.0.1.7898 dated 2 aug 2016.
    --Got driver directly from Realtek's website (NOT Dell's old drivers. This site gives you some tips as to latest drivers and sources):

-- http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/24364-latest-realtek-audio-codecs/?page=9

--device manager>sound, video and game controllers>Realtek High Definition Audio>RIGHT CLICK properties>driver>update driver>browse my computer for driver software>let me pick from a list of device drivers from my computer>FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS

Kikuri likes this.
  3. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seems like this new BIOS has given my PM951 performance a little bump up on both my machines.

4. Rajveer

Rajveer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for trying to help however the 7910 drivers are newer than the 7898 drivers you linked to (look at the end of the laptopvideo2go post, it links to ftp://ftp3.realtek.com.tw/Realtek/GeneralRelease/7910_PG447_Win10_TH_RS_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_WHQL.zip). At first I installed using setup.exe but that installed Maxx audio stuff (it looks like the zip is full of all OEM stuff for all manufacturers) so I completely uninstalled the software and then installed the way you mentioned above (through device manager). This way it installed only the drivers and not the extra crap, but I still have the same problem.

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What a pain!

You might try the exact driver that works for me although these drivers are so close to each other I would not expect something sorted to go wonky just a few revisions forward. But who knows as a ton of wonky drivers were released for the 9550 based on all the posts littering the internet.

Good luck.

6. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did not remove the Dell Audio (MAXX) crap as it seems one loses the automatic phones detection without it. Can someone confirm this?

That said (this time) I am astonished about the many audio problems mentioned here. For me audio now runs very stable and reliable. I reported a problem that when you add an external audio interface one of the Realtek background processes (at least 4 are usually running simultaneously - what a nonsense) hangs with 25 % CPU load. I haven't seen this effect anymore since AU. Quite astonishing.

pressing likes this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just tested. On my laptop (without Dell Audio Maxx) the internal speakers switch to and from headphones as expected (just plugging and unplugging the headphones from the 3.5mm jack).

In the past I don't remember if that was the case months back. I am a bit foggy about historic behavior as I frequently use a USB DAC which does not automatically swap (but I think it should). That is neither here nor there...

Kikuri and Techland like this.
  8. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is good news! Thanks, I will remove the Dell Audio stuff then.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  9. TechBook01

TechBook01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Screen flickering / black screen got really bad recently. On bios. 1.2.0. Updated all video card drivers. I have to run a programme in 1080p for it to work, native res is 4K, do you think the non-native resolution makes it worse in regards to flickering / black screens?

Also, at the windows log-in screen, sometimes only the top left quarter of the screen is shown- rest is black with cursor visible. Possible hardware fault? This only happened after updating to Win 10 Anniversary Ed. Thoughts?

It is being used for work every day but battery wear is already quite bad, from last Fall until now. According to HWMonitor:

Designed Capacity: 83995 mWh
    Full Charge Capacity: 600078 mWh

Wear Level: 29%

[​IMG]

Switch to 4K, it's alright.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  10. Aloha.papa

Aloha.papa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! I am or was interested in Dell 9550 or 9350 but the flickering screen and other problems makes me wonder if I should choose a HP Spectre 360. I tried to read most of the reviews and complaints but I didn't found if the problems with flickering has been resolved for matte screen and 4K screen.

Thank you very much.