Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. bildo

bildo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, pretty desperately after some help here.

I have a rather severe issue with black colours looking very 'damaged' on my screen, if it's entirely black it's fine, but when some detail comes in, it looks an absolute mess. I have seen it mentioned here before and I've spent about 20 minutes trawling the thread and I didn't see any certain answers on how to fix it.

If I uninstall Dell's 'Premier Color' software, then it fixes the blacks problem, however the downside is that the screen becomes horrifically over-saturated, particularly in reds and oranges.

I have been in touch with Dell support, and they are trying to send a technican out to replace the screen, however it feels massively overkill for something that is currently being partly-resolved by uninstalling software.

Any help is HUGELY appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    calibrate the monitor with a hardware tool, a screen swap will do nothing as the blacks are crushed on this panel.

3. salada2k

salada2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone got any updated info on when we can receive this updated BIOS? I heard the fix for the flickering was going to drop mid-July... Which of course it didnt. There are some updated Thunderbolt 3 drivers I'm desperate to try for my TB15 dock, but they wont install without the latest (screen flickering) BIOS update..... Argh!

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    you can install the bios, update the TB3, then downgrade.

Kikuri likes this.
  5. salada2k

Reputations:
    Yeah, I did that with the last 'urgent' TB3 fixes. I still have problems though. I figured that it they put that requirement in there, there must have been a good reason for it. I'm just guessing though. Do you run a TB15? Does yours work? I can get external video, and battery charge. The network adapter and the USB ports don't work (most times, sometimes after a full shutdown I get lucky for a little while then they stop working again). Shame. Cool dock if it was reliable.

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It worked with my razer core, but I didn't have a TB15

7. salada2k

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'll give it a try. It's occurred to me I don't have much to lose in terms of functionality ;)

Eason likes this.
  8. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks GoNz. Must be some software I installed that Microsoft couldn't account for. Oh, well...

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does the event viewer throw anything up?
    I know some AV products weren't updated in time and caused problems.

10. dblkk

dblkk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, been horribly interested in an xps since it came out. Due to some expected slowness at work, I am no longer employed there and had to turn in my precision 7710. Just got a new job quickly and picked up my xps 15. I'll use it for work but I'm also a photo and video editor. I got the i7 16gb 1tb 4k BB version. So far setup went well and quick, no defects that I can see. I've been following this thread pretty religiously since the start and am very knowledgeable in tech.

Questions though, USB c charging. It was mentioned a while back, about 100 pages back. And dock wise it won't charge, but some say battery doesn't loose power (unless running laptop all out). And dell offers companion which is essentially a battery pack.
    So my question, I'm getting a battery delivered today with USB c, and picked up an apple USB c cable lastnight when I picked up the laptop.

Does anyone know if this will work? It's the Anker 23000 battery if that helps.

I have a wedding out of state this weekend I'm working video for so I won't be able to test this out until monday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk