Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    F12 works for me?

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Are you hitting the respective key in time? F2 and F12 should both work. Turn it on and hit that key a few times...

3. boidsonly

boidsonly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Kikuri and pressing like this.
  4. JaviBur

JaviBur Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Do you guys know if the XPS 15 has any security slot to use a Laptop Lock? If so, which type is it, or what kind of locks would I be able to use?
    Thanks!

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Kensington

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  6. jhl1989

jhl1989 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Eason!
    I overclocked my laptop using your guide and it works great!
    I'm getting around 74 degrees on my GPUwhen I stress test it with Unigine Valley on ultra settings. The cool thing is that once the fans start kicking in it drops to around 71 degrees.
    The only thing that I don't understand is that I'm getting 40 FPS on Valley on High 1920 Res with AA off. Is this an ok result even with overclocking?
    Also will overclocking my CPU help with my fps? and should I overclock my CPU?

[​IMG][/url][/IMG] Untitled.png

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have no idea about Uniengine. I am familiar with firestrike- and a good firestrike score would be 4200-4400 with an overclock. Without, you should hit 3900 or so.

You can't overclock the i7-6700HQ AFIK. You can just ensure good thermals so it runs at x31 on all 4 cores. Higher clockspeed helps on some games that are heavy on computations, like city simulations and strategy games.

Kikuri and jhl1989 like this.
  8. Smoath

Smoath Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, have some quick questions, I just got my XPS 15 - 256gb ; FHD - and I wanted to update the BIOS, but since there has been so many complaints about the last BIOS version I wanted to know which BIOS is the most stable ? ( I think I saw 1.19.00 somewhere but I am not sure at all.)
    Second question, I don't have a USB key/drive atm, so I won't be able to clean install W10 yet, if I update the BIOS now, will it stay updated if I clean install W10 later ?
    Lastly, is there any advice that I may have missed about the XPS 15 ? ( Clean install, update BIOS, update drivers,that's it basically ?)

9. trofi

trofi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a weird problem with my Audio.

For some time now at certain appplictions. e.g Videos on youtube or BS player and VLC player or a video game that I have all have too low volume. Especially if turn off the enchancments the audio is way too low.

This is visible with he volume mixer turned on too. The bar for things playing from flash player is always higher than other programs wihtout me having changed anything.

I would prefer to be able to deactivate the echancements especially when connecting my laptop to speakers, but everything is too damn low now.

I tried installing the newst drivers from Dell, but it didnt help

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Similar to my FHD setup. I run 1.2 BIOS with no issues. Earlier BIOS seem to be quite buggy but 1.2 is stable and quite refined for me.

Some people with 4k screens are reporting problems with the latest BIOS so I have not changed to that. I think the BIOS should stick regardless of clean install. . .but I think there have been a few cases where it did not stick. My USB stick has a new install ISO, drivers, and BIOS on it for convenience.

NBR is a staggering resource for the 9550 and anything not answered in the posts people can help with. Just due your homework.

To start, you might study the following threads to make your own preliminary conclusions (note most of the bugs have been worked out at this point):

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ean-install-guide-custom-iso-download.789769/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...rature-observations-undervolt-repaste.785963/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-15-9550-power-limit-throttling.793136/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ist-of-hardware-and-software-problems.784691/

Smoath likes this.