Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. jeep364

jeep364 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is the evo 850 different in dimension than a pm950 or 950 pro? I am wondering whether the difference in cost is worth it to purchase a 950 pro

2. Gallagher1280

Gallagher1280 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys I got a dell outlet refurbished model and debating on whether to return it or not the problems I am having are bad viewing angles on the 4k igzo panel if I turn my head a little it starts going red, the fan is turning on constantly be whether I am charging or just light chrome use, and lastly whenever I close the lid the at like 70% battery the battery will drain to 0% by the morning its done this to me twice so far in the 5 days I`ve had the laptop. Are these issues normal or should I just get my money back?

Edit: Also whenever I restart the laptop it sometimes wont fully restart as when it completely shuts down and goes to restart it will sit with a powered off screen (black) the power button lit up and keyboard illuminated and just hang the and never complete the boot up

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. notebook303

notebook303 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They (Dell or somebody) need to make to make a 17 inch version of this machine. With a few additions one is HDMI 2.0 or that new display port 1.4 (I could be wrong on that not sure if its a port) just saw articles on Internet.

4. KarolG

KarolG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. So there is need to make 2 partition of using SSD drive (256GB SSD) for C and D? Or there is no need? Can somebody give tip and tell. BIG thanks in advance!

5. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is no need to create any other partitons unless you specifically want more drive letters.

If you are installing Windows it will create its own partitions and leave you with a single C drive and the other partition will be hidden for system files. You can either leave the C drive as it is or shrink it and create a D drive partiton on the empty space if you wanted to (but it is still only 1 physical drive) using Windows Disk Management. If you do shrink the C drive don't go too far as Windows will creep up in size with updates etc.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    KarolG likes this.
  6. Razor2

Razor2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have some further questions before I order the machine:

- How bad is the battery life for a UHD i7 with the 56Wh battery?
    - Do you need any additional parts if you swap the 32Gb drive for m.2 SSD, like a heatspreader?
    - Are the speakers ok? I suppose they will be not as good as my current ones in the L502x?
    - Is it possible to clone the HDD to a m.2 SSD with something like Samsung data migration?

Thanks a lot.

7. K.Dee

K.Dee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm willing to buy this laptop in few days because i found it the most appealing to me. I was about to wait for new mbp but i really need a new computer to finish my masters project as i am a graphic design student and no one really knows what to expect from apple and whether it will even be better than xps or not. So the question is do you recommend this laptop for someone like me ? I will mostly use it for photoshop, illustrator and after effects i hope it will last for 4 years of unstressful work. I'm getting i7 6700 with 16gb of ram. Please let me know before i make a decision is it worth to choose it over upcoming macbook as the price is quite attractive ?

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Battery will probably be 3-4 hours average use with the small battery.
    Only the full length m.2 drives have a thermal pad to let heat escape into the base so you would need a 2mm pad to stop it throttling under high load.
    Speakers are good compared to the last XPS15 9530
    You can clone with Macrium reflect free edition but a fresh installs the way to go (ISO's in my sig)

Kikuri and KarolG like this.
  9. Razor2

Razor2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any idea were to get such a thermal pad?

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Kikuri likes this.