Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. planetweckesser

planetweckesser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    BOS up to date? .19 ?
    Try uninstalling all drivers for the dock rebooing in between each one and then reinstall with reboots between each installation. That did it for me. I have the second batch T15 released about a week ago and working perfectly so far.Using Ethernet, USB 3.0, USB 3.1 (USB-C), displayport.

2. Cubed

Cubed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd like to go for the XPS 15 4K model but I am worried about its weight.

At the moment I have the XPS 13 QHD Skylake model which is very light and nice at around 1.4kg. I can hold it with one hand and move it around easily. It also doesn't feel heavy in the bag either

What is the XPS 15 4K like for weight? I know its about 2kg, but its spread over a larger surface. What is it like to carry around for a few hours and how does it feel on the lap? Can you feel its weight on the lap and get tired or is it about the same as an XPS 13?

3. Laki021

Laki021 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well it is not heavy on the lap, but in general it is considerably bigger and heavier. I had to take 15 because of the work I needed 4 core processor (to impress customers with software performance...), but otherwise I would always go for 13... (I have XPS 12 as my private laptop).

For 13 you dont even need a bag, just get a fancy leather case.

4. SonyHome

SonyHome Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you update ASMedia USB 3.0 driver? You need to update that.

TB15 is working fine for my use case and I have external monitor, external HD, ethernet, wireless keyboard & mouse and speaker/subwoofer hooked up and working without issues.

5. Cubed

Cubed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm finding the XPS 13 screen too small to do video editing and web design work on. 80% of the time I use it with a monitor but 20% (say 2 hours per day) I use it on my lap which is where I feel like having more room on screen and on the physical keyboard.

Is the XPS 15 that much bigger and heavier that I would start to loathe using it for 2 hours on my lap? I used to have a 17.3" Samsung Chronos 7 which weighed 2.7kg and that was way way too heavy for me.

6. boidsonly

boidsonly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @SonyHome re: Did you update ASMedia USB 3.0 driver? You need to update that.

Where did you find the latest driver/version # ?
    Thanks.

7. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    To me, the XPS 15 weight on my lap hasn't been an issue at all. It is heavier than the XPS13, but not by a whole lot.

8. SonyHome

SonyHome Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  9. turt

turt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm on latest ASMedia drivers, and when connecting the dock it shows up in the device manager (ASMedia eXtended 3.0 usb host" or something like that.
    I can see there are two "Generic Host" related to ASMedia that also show up right under the ASMedia items when connecting the dock but can't seem to update to proper drivers (be it ethernet, sound or whatever), be it manually or automatically.
    Can anyone tell me what is supposed to be displayed under device manager?

10. turt

turt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Been there, done that
    Doesn't seem to make any difference.
    I'm on BIOS 19 and I have uninstalled and reinstalled all 6 items listed under the Dock section of the XPS 15 download page...

Any idea what sequence I should be following?
    Anyway I'm quite tech-savvy and don't really care about being a beta tester for brand new products but this is going too far. It's indeed an half baked product as others have already commented. I'm not saying it should work out of the box but at least I shouldn't face so many issues, like the Ethernet driver exe file needing to be extracted with 7-zip in order to bypass the Windows Smartscreen error saying it's unsafe and I shouldn't run it.