Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All software on the XPS can easily be removed by going to 'Programs and Features' and select Uninstall. Using iobit to do that is ridiculous - use a bloatware to remove another bloatware...

The XPS does not run perfectly and has lots of issues as can be read here in details. These are not isolated faults but unsolved bugs in BIOS, drivers and firmware. Everyone stating 'it all works' is either employed by Dell or using only 10% of the laptop's potential.

2. SonyHome

SonyHome Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought McAfee came with the system too but when I tried to uninstall it through Windows program I didn't see it listed. Apparently mine didn't come with it. I installed Norton which I get through Comcast.

3. SonyHome

SonyHome Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think for their use case is implied when anyone says "works perfectly" as every ones setup and use may vary.

4. wags1

wags1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Iobit is certainly not bloat ware. I have experienced several instances in which using Windows uninstall has left empty directories, registry entries and other unwanted items behind. Iobit gets rid of all of that safely and effectively. If you prefer not to use it, good for you. Several of my use cases "exercise" my XPS 15 9550 rather hard and I have had zero issues. And I don't work for Dell. Clearly for your use cases you have found issues. Doesn't mean others will, or won't. My data point is just as valid as yours. YMMV!

5. rajuabju

rajuabju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    100% correct.

The XPS comes with minimal "bloat" compared to other Dell and other manufacturers. And everything can be uninstalled easily, if desired.

As far as the issues, there are a few categories.. one is physical build, which early on there seemed to be quite a few "fit & finish" problems now mostly resolved, then there are bios/driver/firmware issues, which have gotten better and better with newer releases of each, and I really hope Dell continues with the pace of updates, and finally we have hardware issues such as speakers blown or not working, lag of the screen response, usb/tb connectivity, etc and those seem to be a lot more random.

But honestly, the number of issues with the XPS 15 isnt THAT significantly more than any other PC laptop out there lately. Some better, some worse, but I could find problems to complain about any computer these days

6. Andre Mulder

Andre Mulder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Although some issues, in the end most minor and fine to live with, it's one of the best laptops till now. I use it fulltime in multiple locations, and it is a delight to work with. I bought mine with the 1TB/32GB setup, and would advise to go straight for the 512GB/1GB SSD (which wasn't available when I ordered :(). I have replaced the spinner disk with a SSD, which adds quite a lot to the setup. The screen is great, and the disadvantages of using it in multi-monitor setup is related to Windows 10 rather than the XPS. It is ahead of time in a way, and provides high performance.

I would advise the XPS 15 rather than some others that I have seen. I have received a lot of positive response from users of comparable devices including Microsoft employees with their Microsoft Surface or Lenovo.

But agree with some responses that in some cases the XPS 15 is ahead of time :)

ascariss likes this.
  7. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am not sure which model I might be buying, 13 or 15, pricing wise the 15 is a lot more expensive, since to get the 4K screen would cost me 370 USD extra, so a FHD with 16GB and 512GB is 2,000, which is not bad considering the specs. The 13 inch would either be a FHD with 8gb and 256GB for 1700 or QHD/8GB/256GB for 1800. Or QHD/16GB/256GB for 2200 USD. Not sure yet.

8. Andre Mulder

Andre Mulder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure what the prices in the US are, but EU pricing (Netherlands) vary pretty much. Some browsing brought me a better price than I could get from Dell, comparable with distributor pricing. If you have the money I would go for the 4K and take the 15" but that depends on your usage..

9. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm in Poland, so I converted the pricing from dell's website. Currently no retailer here has the Iris equipped XPS13 except Dell, it might appear in the next few weeks or months on other sites but no doubt it. There are some sites with slightly cheaper prices than dell's for the xps15 but the difference in price is not that significant.

10. turt

turt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay so I've spent a few hours already trying to get the Thunderbolt dock working but to no avail...
    Well the dock charges the XPS 15 and displayport is also working, but I freaking can't make the Ethernet and usb ports working, making this dock pretty useless.

Reinstalled latest drivers from dell's website numerous times but it doesn't make a difference...

What a crappy docking station...