Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Andre Mulder

Andre Mulder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very strange behavior, I always have the lid open so not seen before. My monitor at home, Dell monitor, does not wake up unless unplugging/plugging the HDMI cable. At a customer site I'm using a HP monitor which I need to turn off/on and then works. Will check it when I have some spare time.

2. haris163

haris163 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the same problem when the screen goes to sleep. As far the laptop is concerned, the monitor is still connected, however there is no signal going to the monitor.

That said, when the computer wakes up from the standby mode, the monitor works so I learned to put it standby so the monitor will come back on.

3. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I am in the market for a new laptop, either thinking the 13 or 15 xps, but it seems quite a few people have issues with the laptops. Are these laptops that prone to being faulty? I am wondering since spending over 2500 for a laptop and then having so many issues is rather unfortunate.

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You could say they're before their time. If you need something that works right now, then no. But if you don't mind tinkering then it's a great, future-proofed package

ascariss likes this.
  5. wags1

wags1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had no problems with the laptop itself, In fact it is probably the best laptop I have ever owned in terms of size and performance. The only problem I have had is with the Dell Thunderbolt 3 dock (TB15) that was just released and honestly that is clearly a driver issue that Dell/Intel will eventually get worked out. Net is I highly recommend the laptop.

6. gaidin43

gaidin43 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I second this. Best laptop performance for its size I have ever had. Also, I have zero issues other than USB 3.0 port on the DA200 through the thunderbolt port. And I also have an XPS 13 which is a great ultra book.

7. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd agree. Its like having a powerful desktop in a good looking laptop. The only issues I've had with mine were due to my choice of setup and not having quite enough technical knowledge (but you can find it here if you dig deep enough!) :p

8. caac88

caac88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I advice to you all to do a clean install Of the machine before starting to work with it. Mine after a clean install is running perfectly!!!

9. wags1

wags1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used iobit to remove the mcafee software and my system runs fine. I purchased my system directly from Dell and there was very little (actually none) extra SW loaded on it except for a few Dell utilities which have not effected performance. Personal preference I guess but it is certainly not the way it used to be in the past with Dell. YMMV

10. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Their XPS, Latitude and Precision systems usually don't have much bloatware. This has been the case for a few years, those systems are marketed to businesses (yes even the XPS) and those usually come with notably fewer bloat.