Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. wags1

wags1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I and many others (go look thru the Dell Laptop forum) have this issue using an external monitor thru HDMI with the laptop closed. Like I have said, this thing is not yet ready for prime time.

2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yessir

3. Sealed

Sealed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah im not gonna mess with that, i'll get used to it

anyway, i'm seriously thinking about an exchange now. the more I think about the fans being always on during charging the more frustrated I get since it shouldn't do that. Also, i get a delay when going from sleep to wake. The screen stays dark for about 5 to 7 seconds before lighting uo. I was under the impression that it would instantly light up? Am I wrong?

anyway, would dell even grant an exchange for something like this? how do I even go about asking for an exchange anyway?

sorry for all the questions, i'm a little peeved about this, even though it's kind of petty lol

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have had 4 9550's and they all spin u the fans charging from 0-80% until the charge rate drops off so I doubt you will get any joy from an exchange.

5. MrSilenos

MrSilenos Newbie

Reputations:
    Was set to RAID.

6. Sealed

Sealed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ugh that's so annoying, but apparently it doesn't happen for every user. is this something that could be potentially fixed on the software side, or is it a hardware issue?

i'd rather try for an exchange than keep a product that isn't the best it could be

hopefully though if i do get an exchange, the new unit isn't worse :/

7. SonyHome

SonyHome Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I been using my laptop 4k screen as second screen and my external Dell u3415w as main screen when I connect to TB15 and I've not noticed any issues that you've mentioned. But in order to use my external monitor as the main screen I had to set that in the windows display settings. Did you have to do that to use your external monitor as main screen with the lid closed?

Anyways thanks for sharing your experience with the TB15 and hopefully this issue you encountered is resolved when you order your next one.

I'm glad the TB15 worked out for my use case because I needed to use the $250 gift card that came with my Dell u3415w I bought over the holidays.

8. wags1

Reputations:
    If you don't run with the laptop closed using only the external monitor than it is not the same environment and you would not see the problem.

9. SonyHome

SonyHome Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To get it to work with your lid closed you probably had to change the closing the lid behavior in setup but did you also had to tell Windows that your external monitor is the main screen or set your display mode to second screen only? Just curious if windows was confused about which monitor to display in for your setup.

10. wags1

Reputations:
    Look, this is a well documented issue with the current drivers for the TB15 dock. This is not an "incorrect settings" issue. Yes, of course the lid closed behavior is set correctly. Yes, the monitor settings are correct. Take the time to go to the Dell laptop forum and read thru the pages of reports of the problem. Please understand that I am reporting the problem here to save others the trouble .... I'm not asking for help.