Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. ghtop

ghtop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, I'll be controversial: don't bother with the 2.5 inch drive, it's yesterday's tech. What you really want is the larger battery and you can upgrade your M.2 PCIe SSD as and when you need to. Or just add removable storage, which is easily done and convenient, but getting extra battery life is not.

2. trofi

trofi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I ask what kinds of defects the machines had to be on the lookout?

3. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I took mine out & use it in an enclosure as a backup drive - its far too slow for an operating system these days!

4. Fant

Fant Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree ... Don't sacrifice a 84whr battery just to get a 2nd storage bay. I'd much rather have the larger battery and throw in a larger m.2 drive (Sara m2 are about same price and performance of 2.5" sata ssd).

boidsonly likes this.
  5. boidsonly

boidsonly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did; it was cheaper at Best Buy as opposed to M$ and Dell. Though it is going for rather crazy low prices on eBay right now.

6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well you went with the easier to upgrade route.

Is there anyone that chose to buy the 3 cell battery after or is that next to impossible? Without a good answer ibwill have to jump on the model you got for now.

Here it is is 2.5 inch drive>than 6 cell battery?
    Yes. Is 256 pci included> than 1 tb hdd yes. But it's way harder to get a 3 cell than a 256 gb pcie or larger

If it's hard to find a 3 cell battery it's a slam dunk

7. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well it may be similar to find a 6 cell battery. I may end up with a machine that can do both.

However I have seen that it could be harder to turn a 6 cell machine into a 3 cell 2.5 inch bay one than the reverse .

That's why I'm here in asking if someone has a source for the batteries and cables to change the machine around.

For me a 2.5 ssd ibwoukd use every single day but a larger battery ibwoukd rarely need. That may be better for external for me

8. XCVG

XCVG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm running the 32GB/1TB with a 512GB MX200 in the m.2 slot. Go with the hybrid drive setup if you need capacity and can afford to install an SSD right away. Go with the SSD configuration if you want more battery life. In my opinion, m.2 NVMe is the future, but it's not here yet, at least not at the price point I could afford.

9. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good call and I agree with you regarding NVME. If longer battery life is also required there's always the Dell Power Companion pack

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=in&l=en&s=bsd&cs=inbsd1&sku=451-12192

10. y4k

y4k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah, I didn't know that! Good question, as I rely on f.lux to save my retinas from burnout! Can someone with a USB-C type dock try f.lux for us? Most curious about compatibility with the TB15.

Yea, I'm going with the 130w to keep things light. Still not sure how AC adapters distribute power -- like is it one pool, shared across all devices? Maybe an electrical expert can answer that. Curious if one port gets priority to ensure the minimum required power is available to it.

And according to Dell's AC adapter specs, the 130w adapter is only 55g lighter and 1/2cm thinner than the 180w.

Yep, that's the Canadian site. Fortunately my Dell rep was able to get me a better deal. Best to establish a business contact for better pricing.