Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) 9550 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by T2050, Oct 30, 2015.

1. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Figured that good time to start an owners lounge thread, a few of us (and more soon) already receiving and using their new Dell XPS 15 Skylake 9550 model notebooks.

The other running thread is starting is becoming full of speculation of those that haven't got theirs yet or still thinking about getting it

Would be good that those that actually own the new system can post here, thoughts, ideas, and any tips.

2. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd like to know how long the production period was for others who have actually received it. I ordered mine on the 27th and it has been in production since. They estimate it will arrive about 2 weeks after the order was placed.

Update - unit is at FedEx today
    Update 2 - FedEx SUCKS! It made it to my local FedEx yesterday morning at 7AM so I called to ask if I could pick it up. They said SURE they'll call me back in a couple of hours. At 1PM I called and asked about it and they said they'll hold it for me but since it wasn't scheduled for delivery until Monday they can't give it to me until Monday!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. Chad Brostorm

Chad Brostorm Newbie

Reputations:
    Picked up my MS Signature XPS 15 9550 (i7/16/512/4K/84Wh) a little more than 24-hours ago from the Microsoft flagship store in NYC. The machine is great, with the exception of two things I'm hoping get resolved within my return period:
    1. Constant iGPU crashes
    2. Battery life
    I'm still running pretty lean - nothing installed except for Office 2016, Firefox, Waterfox, and Citrix ICA Client. No Chrome here. I installed all of the new drivers/updates from Dell, and am actually running Insider Preview Build 10576, which is supposed to be what gets released to the public in a few days. Still getting iGPU crashes while web browsing (Edge, IE, Fire/Waterfox), and the battery life is still worrisome. I usually have brightness set to around 23% and have the volume muted.

No discernable issues with the build quality. Keyboard, bezel, and monitor look okay. I'm a Mac guy so the touchpad is 'good - but not Apple great'.

Willing to answer any questions. Thanks.

EDIT:
    Actually insider preview build 10586 now, which is what will be released to the public. Everything seems a lot more 'stable' now (not that it wasn't before). I was hoping it would address the iGPU crashing. It hasn't happened as much, but I did manage to crash it last night while using IE.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    SkeeterHarris likes this.
  4. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One guy on Youtube says it has loud whine. Did you notice it?

5. Chad Brostorm

Chad Brostorm Newbie

Reputations:
    Nope. No whine from the laptop or adapter.

6. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. Does the unit come with an install CD with all the drivers? I plan on installing the OS from scratch and I'd like to know if I should download the 25 or so drivers 1 by 1 or if they are available from a single source

7. Chad Brostorm

Chad Brostorm Newbie

Reputations:
    Mine didn't come with an install CD. I have the MS Signature edition, so I'm not sure if the Dell-direct units come with them. However, I did have a Dell-direct previous gen XPS 13 and it didn't come with any drivers, either. I had to contact them to provide me with a USB stick with Windows 8 and all of the drivers on it.

8. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    This owner's lounge is in the wrong subforum. Should be under the XPS sub-forum.

Maybe a mod can move it, @Charles P. Jefferies or @Ethrem ?

alexhawker likes this.
  9. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello,

I got my unit today. The upgrade for WIndows 10 was easy by just changing the product code.

My BIG issue which I could use some help on - it comes with a spot for a standard sata SSD and a M2 sata. I want to put an existing SSD drive in it in addition to the M2 it came with. However while it included the bracket for standard SSD, it did not include the sata cable which I imagine is very specific for that model due to length and shape. If anyone got one with the standard hybrid drive please let me know about the cable!

The 256GB M2 module is model M2-VLV256D PN mzvlv256hchp made by Samsung. Requires a micro torq bit and small phillips to get the back off.

10. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you get the FHD model with space to add a 2.5" SATA hard drive or SSD? Are you saying there is no cable to add, just the caddie is there.

Mine model is the UHD that has the Samsung NVMe PM951, and at this stage I am wondering what software will allow backup with not in windows, like bootable media to create a backup, as seem that NVMe is new.

I would be keen on buying someones 512GB PM951 drive if they are looking to sell it to go larger or to a different model. 256GB is just a little bit to small to play with.

Some people has suggested a space bar issue, not sure what they mean exactly but my space bar is perfectly fine.

My battery has a 6% wear level on it for out of box, thought that was a bit high, instantly makes my 84Wh in to a 79Wh battery

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015