Dell XPS 15 R2 - L502x - Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by zygotic, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick 64D

Rick 64D Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did a little research and decided on this cooler: Amazon.com: Thermaltake Massive23 LX Laptop Notebook Cooler Oversized 230mm Blue LED Fan USB CLN0015: Electronics
    It's the Thermaltake Massive 23 LX. Looking at the bottom of the computer, I think this cooler's single, large fan will work well, and it's not too expensive.

I ordered my L502 on 22 Feb, and am still waiting for it. Apparently LoJack, which used to be an option, was causing problems, and they had to work those out before they would build the unit.

Is there anybody out there with LoJack? And have you noticed any problems because of it?

2. StrikerZR1

StrikerZR1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You should consider the Targus HD3 Gaming Chill Mat. 60 bucks at Best Buy or 40 on Amazon. I got it the day i got my XPS 15. It fits the computer perfectly, has 3 speed adjustable fans that are placed just right for the XPS 15 and are very quiet . It cools the computer so well at high speeds that if you place it on your lap your legs get super cold. Build quality is great ( think i read they have industrial fans ) and looks good. Maybe not as cool as the Thermaltake with the led lights. =). will post up temp

3. StrikerZR1

StrikerZR1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. Pyrometheus

Pyrometheus Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey d2daanny!

this sounds a bit like what happened to my acer laptop which i still have waiting for the xps 15.

I think you should try disconnecting the ac adapter for a few minutes, might be overloaded.

also try resetting the power by disconnecting ac adapter, take out battery, hold down power button for 45 sec, plug back in and try again.

in my case the ac adapter was broken, so either try another one or check if the end of the ac adapter outputs the correct voltage with a multimeter.

i ended up opening up the laptop and checking for short circuits from the ac plug and forward, so you could try that too, then again you still have a warranty :p

good luck! i hope it works!

5. mkj

mkj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apparently d2daanny posted his problem on the other L502X thread too and it's been resolved there - MB failure, will be replaced by Dell.

6. deerchaser

deerchaser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 6230 is hit or miss, the 2.4 sucks. I have the same problem as you, same router as you, dell replaced the card. Still sucks, I pulled it out and installed a 6200. Problems gone. Until I can get a dual band router or better drivers, it will have to stay the way it is. Sorry I ordered the 6230, POS IMO.

7. HamStar50

HamStar50 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Woohoo...mine's shipped after 14 days in production. Thing is, it's gone from China to Germany to Kazakstan! (Destination is UK). Does anyone else from the UK know what full path it takes and hence how long? I'm excited!....

8. zygotic

zygotic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems like it varies - mine went China to Netherlands to Hackney to me. I have seen people track them to Germany and Kazakhstan first. For me the 4 days from being with the courier to being here was bang on.

9. Rebellion

Rebellion Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I did a test with SC2 last night. Native resolution, high details, ran well.
    Ran a couple 2v2 on different maps. This of course is why I got the i7 2820QM processor, it performs very well with alot of units on the field. (the physics for each unit is typically calculated in the CPU)

Heat was not an issue, didn't have the laptop on my lap but the only hot spot was the vent at the side. The palm rest was not hot to the touch.

In one of the games I told my opponents I was testing my system so they both zerg rushed me. I am pretty sure that the system didn't dip below 30fps. Something I know my old laptop could never do. Needless to say, I am very happy.

10. zygotic

zygotic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Doesn't sound bad to me - nothing that'd i'd say is a buzzing part of the case or anything muffled - sounds pretty bright. Not sure whether you're looking for a golden ears type answer though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.