Dell XPS 15 R2 - L502x - Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by zygotic, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mman454

mman454 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm new around here, so a brief introduction.

I received my L502x sometime around the end of June 2011. I really like it for the most part, I wish there was the option to get it without the touchscreen at the time, mainly because I could have used the extra resolution of the normal display. I have had my share of ghost clicks too. I generally find that a good screen cleaning and recalibration does wonders (recently at least, wasn't always the case and I'm still not entirely sure what changed.) Oh, and I can't go without mentioning just how much I love the audio quality. I'm always impressed how loud it can get when I set it to max volume, even three years later. :) It's too bad dell doesn't seem to have a built in subwoofer in any of the current XPS lineup, maybe in a few years when I consider an upgrade that will be back. Listening to the same music on my family's laptop is just annoying now.

Anyway, I look forward to being part of the discussion here and helping out when I can! :)

Oh and one question for you guys:
    Anyone got any recommendations on reliable replacement batteries? I'm thinking of going with a 9 cell this time around! :)

2. pjcronje

pjcronje Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I got a battery from Amazon UK - it was significantly cheaper than Dell direct and as far as I can tell it's genuine. Battery life is back up to roughly 3 hours - better than the 5 minutes I was getting!

HumpaLumpa likes this.
  3. gilipollas

gilipollas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Since 4k screen are cheap now, I ask again:

Did anybody use the l502x with a 4k screen?

Theoretically the Displayport 1.1 and hdmi 1.4 of our XPS15 combined should deliver sufficient bandwith to use a 4k screen at 60Hz:
    We need two times 2160 x 1920 x 60Hz x 32bit = 7.96 GBit/s

The XPS15 can deliver:
    DP1.1: 8.64 GBit/s
    hdmi1.4: 8.16 GBit/s

So a 4k screen which supports 2xPiP should be usable @60Hz. But maybe fullscreen videos have some problems?

HumpaLumpa likes this.
  4. HumpaLumpa

HumpaLumpa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if 4k @60Hz will work with this DP 1.1 and HDMI 1.4a ports. And iam sure it will never work. Because at least there will be no driver support. Also the restriction here is the GPU (HD 3000). The HD 3000 also restricts the NVidia Optimus (GT525m/540m) GPU. So the HD 3000 has to be capable at first. Here is what I know:

What will work in practice:
    • Display Port: 2560x1600 (DP is best choice for high resolution displays)
    • HDMI/DVI/VGA: 1920x1200 (soft side restricted) :/
    What might work in practice:
    • VGA: 2560x1440 @ around 55 Hz should not be the problem (custom_add_resolution in intel driver)
    • HDMI higher than 1920x1200 will often only work via custom resolution template in the Intel driver. Maybe DVI-D cable, maybe set up via NVidia driver. Most people don't reach 60Hz. :/ There are rumors that Intel restricts the HDMI output. Setting up a high resolution monitor with hdmi is a mess.
    Sandy Bridge HD 3000 specs:
    HDMI 1.4a, Display Port 1.1 with HDCP 2.2 + Audio, DVI with HDCP 2.2
    DisplayPort with WQXGA (up to 2560 x 1600)
    DirectX 10.1, OpenGL 3.0, Shader Model 4.1, WDDM 1.2, HDCP 2.2

Sandy Bridge supports only 2 Displays at a time. So if you connect 2 external Displays, I guess you have to turn of the internal first. With the Matrox DualHead2Go Digital SE external box you can get 3840x1200 (2x 1920x1200) over the Display Port.

NVidia GT 540m (Optimus) specs:
    Dual Link DVI over the HDMI-Port. Support for resolution max.: 2560x1600.

Vider en-/decoding rumors:
    I've read on the Intel Developer Forum that someone encoded 4k videos on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge with the native avc/h264 encoder. But the framerate was under 20 fps. Realtime video encoding in 30fps is not possible. I know nothing about 4k decoding. I also think this will not work with standard after market software because of the driver restriction.

If it's possible to put DP and HDMI with 2 cables in one monitor and set windows to expanded view mode than you have your a nearly 4k resolution. :) But only 1600 dpi in height.

Since two years I want to buy a monitor higher than 1920x1200 dpi. Somewhat around 2560x 1600. But now 4k is around. That's what I want. It's possible that i thrash my l502x because of the low graphics output. Would be a shame. But maybe I'm lucky to get a cheap second monitor (2k) only for my XPS machine.

Is there someone who used a 4k external display on sandy bridge (Intel HD 3000) machines?
    Maybe someone should order a 4k or test one in a shop. Or take his l502x to a friend who has one. :)

Found in the web:
    2x 2560x1440 connected to a sandy bridge via VGA & HDMI. Look at the 2 monitors at the bottom. Awesome. :)
    http://www.itproportal.com/2013/06/...60-x-1440-via-hdmi-on-an-intel-hd3000-hd4000/

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  5. HumpaLumpa

Reputations:
    Ok, I will not thrash my l502x. At the time I can't find an affordable device that match my performance. They are all business/productivity/workstation devices. :/

Just for the record: ...what I did the last 12 month with/on my l502x:
    • I use the optical audio output (optical SP/DIF) connected to a high end DAC and headphone amp. Which modern laptop has a good soundcard with such many outputs? Ok, the onboard chip is not good, but the output features are.
    • I switched from i7-2630qm to i7-2760qm. I got 1350MHz of GPU speed now. Before: 1200MHz. I always set Intel HD 3000 power setting to maximum speed. Intel stated 2 years ago that "max. speed" also unlocks/enables more speed features than balanced setting. Is it worth to upgrade CPU? No. Unless you need a bit more GPU power especially e.g. for GPU accelerated webbrowsing, and virtualisation features, multi monitor, parallel use of many programmes. And of course if you really need more that more CPU power, what I did not need. Captaincasars modded BIOS added also a bit more Intel graphical power. I don't know why, but in generel the whole machine is slightly faster. Maybe because of the updated HD3000 VBIOS? I hope to see further BIOS or VBIOS updates from him. :)
    • RAM update 3 times. Now: 1600MHz 16GB. I strongly recommend to get as much and as fast RAM as possible. When booting my Windows 8.1 64bit up it needs nearly 4GB of RAM. I personally need on a working and private day around 10GB of RAM. I have one virtual linux machine in VirtualBox open all the day. So 1 VM = round about 4GB RAM.
    • I use a HooToo USB3.0 active hub (HooToo HT-UH010). Researched many month to get the best USB3.0 hub out there. It is good and stable. Parallel use of devices is possible, like burning a bluray, watch DVB tv,....
    I saw eGPU users here in the forum. My idea is to buy a 4k monitor to combine it on a eGPU adapter with a low-end or mid-range NVidia card. Is there an advice which cable and eGPU adapter to buy?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  6. HumpaLumpa

Reputations:
    For those who are interested in the possibility of monitor connections. I bought a BenQ GW2765HT with AHVA/IPS panel. Nice price. Then I connected some monitors to l502x. This is what i get so far:
    HD3000 -> LVDS -> 1920x1080p @60Hz (build in panel)
    GT540m -> HDMI output -> HDMI to DVI cable -> DVI monitor input -> 1920x1200p @60Hz (external monitor)
    HD3000 -> miniDP v1.1 output -> miniDP to DP adapter -> DP cable -> DP v1.2 monitor input -> 2560x1440p @60Hz (external monitor)
    All can run at the same time.

2560x1440 didn't work with HDMI.

7. gilipollas

gilipollas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    2560x1440@60Hz works for me with hdmi and a hdmi-to-dvi-adapter.
    Create a custom resolution in the nvidia driver.

8. mman454

mman454 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I just noticed an available update to the "Realtek High Definition Audio Device" driver in the optional windows updates. Says it was released in December 2014. Does anyone who installed it have any input? Any noticeable change?

9. betita_elfica

betita_elfica Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I want to replace my spanish keyboard for a US keyboard, where can I find someone with world shipping? I found that http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...yboard-free-shipping/1212800_32223968387.html

Otherwise, I've a 23" monitor (1920x1080) connected to the HDMI port. I want to buy and connect a new 24" monitor (1920x1200) using the mDP , which cable/adapter is recommended to use? the 24" monitor has a displayport and minidisplayport inputs and comes with a mini DP to DP cable. It will be sufficient?

thanks

10. AZMedia

AZMedia Newbie

Reputations:
    This is an update from my post on page 74, comment #736 in this thread. The below is the most current release of Dell supplied drivers as of 5-25-2015 and in correct install order. I suggest Googling the entire file name of the longer EXE named files and obtain those drivers only from dell.com/support locations. None of these drivers are from Intel or Nvidia websites. Our purpose was to create a very stable and reliable PC, not bleeding edge.

I have done extensive testing with the listed drivers and they all work great. However, there are sometimes newer versions from Dell, often listed under L702X or other models. If you want some cutting edge, these drivers are listed at the very bottom. They seem to work fine, but we have done little testing on the L502X.

Windows 7 (32-bit & 64-bit) Drivers Below
    Some drivers are different for Win8, & much larger files, check Dell Support.

1. R292318 (Optional) System Utilities: ST Microelectronics DE351DL Motion Sensor, v.1.00.00.15, A01 (8 MB) If you don’t have a Solid State Drive installed, then this is a sensor that moves the drive arm away on a HDD if the laptop is dropped - to protect the drive and data. I never installed this. If you don’t install this creates a yellow flag in Device Manager – no worries.

2. R292792 (Optional) CPU: Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor Software, v.2.1.23.0, A01 (21 MB) This is the little sidebar gadget that displays performance info in the upper corner of the screen in the original OEM installation. This IS NOT Intel Turbo Boost, just a monitor GUI.

3. R289307 Chip Set: Intel Huron River (HM67), v.9.2.0.1015, A00 (2 MB)

4. R292317 Chip Set: Intel Management Engine Interface, v.7.0.0.1144, A01 (5 MB) Remote access technology. Without it a yellow flag appears in Device Manager.PCI Com Controller missing

5. (NEW) Chip Set: USB3_Renesas_W7_A03_Setup-61X2W_ZPE.exe. This will show up in your "Add/Remove" programs but did not in the OEM shipped configuration. No way around it, must have it.

6. R296901 (Optional) Serial ATA: Intel Rapid Storage Technology, v.10.1.2.1004, A01 (10 MB) This is a software based RAID controller for multiple drives. BUT HIGHLY recommended you install this if you convert to an internal SSD drive, even if you don’t run RAID.

7. SE2_CD11.xzip Removable Storage: PLDS DS-6E2SH 12.7 Tray BD-Combo, v.CD11, A01 (3 MB) See directions on how to do the installation. Updates firmware of the CD/BR player.

8. R283293 Video: (ONLY If you have a TV Card) AVerMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/ATSC, v.2.2.x.69, A01 (5 MB)

9. (NEW) R311294 Video: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Driver (8.15.10.2455, A09)

10. (NEW) Video (Nvidia Geforce GT 525/540): Video_Nvidia_W74_A09_Setup_RRN66_ZPE.exe (8.17.12.8577, A09). Select “Custom Install”

1. Because the L502X does not come with a 3d screen - If you watch any type of external 3D monitor or TV medium, make sure to tick box “3D Vision Driver”. Otherwise...this is just bloatware. However, without it and you run the Window Experience Index, you get an error because there is no 3D 10 Texture driver. Given the quantity of games available, there's now way to test them all. This driver can always be added after the fact. Just run installer again and tick only this box.
    2. If you use external TV or Monitor using an HDMI cable tick box for “HD Audio”. Nvidia manages the audio and video that passes through the HDMI cable.Realtek manages audio for everything else.
    3. Make sure to tick box "Nvidia Graphics Driver". Everyone needs this one.
      Click To Enlarge:
      [​IMG]

11. (NEW) Network: Realtek RTL8111DL Ethernet Controller -
    LOM_Realtek_W7_A03_Setup-X4R87_ZPE.exe (v7.048.0823.2011). This did not show up in "Add/Remove" programs but was in the OEM shipped configuration. No way around it, must have it.

12. R300326 Audio: Realtek ALC665 Audio, v.6.0.1.6312, A04 (105 MB)

13. (NEW) Network: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030, Advanced-N 6230 Network_Intel_WLAN_W784_A02_Setup-37PPD_ZPE.exe (Version 15.2.0.19, A02). The most confusing of all drivers, select “Custom Install” and follow the below.

1. Select only “WiFi Link Driver” to operate your wireless card for accessing internet and such. Right below this, if you select “PROset Wireless for Bluetooth and High Speed”, then you can avoid installing driver #14 in this list.
    2. Select “Intel Proset Wireless Wifi Software” and “Intel My Wifi Technology” if you will be using Intel My Wifi. This creates a Personal Area Network to wirelessly share your videos, photos, music or the Internet from your laptop to your TV using Intel Wireless Display.
    3. Select "PROset Wireless Wifi Connection Utility” if you want Intel GUI/software to show you the various wireless networks and signal strength indicators (how many bars) instead of Microsoft. It replaces Microsoft stuff which works very well....so it’s really not needed.
    4. The last two choices - Administrative Toolkit and Enterprise Software are not needed at all.[​IMG]

14. (NEW) Network: Bluetooth 3.0+High Speed Application. 0PDK4_A03_ZPE.exe (Version 1.0.81.20601, A0). Only if you have Bluetooth equipped laptop, and optional if you install the above driver option, but highly recommended for those who use BT often.

15. Mobile Broadband Driver (Optional): Install this here if you have an internal cellular modem. Get from Dell website.

16. (NEW) R308016 Video: Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager (Intel WiDi) (Version 2.1.39.0, A01). Must be the last INTEL DRIVER you install. It uses platform and version detection. This pushes your laptop screen display via wireless to a TV…but you must purchase a WiDi-enabled receiver device (adapter) and attach it to your TV. I found it laggy, kind of buggy, stopped using it after a month. Netgear later came out with better adapters called Push2TV, the PVT3000.

17. R293038 Input: Synaptics Synaptics TouchPad, v.15.2.6.0, A00 (37 MB)

18. R277344 Input: Quanta H.264 integrate webcam, v.1.0.1404.1005, A00 (1 MB)

19. R292780 (Optional) Chip Set: JMicron JMB389 Card Reader, v.1.00.55.00, A01 (1 MB) Installing this earlier will trip errors. Balloon will appear showing the errors. This will show up in your "Add/Remove" programs but was not in the OEM shipped configuration.

20. (NEW) Application: Dell QuickSet -
    APP_Quickset_W78_A06_Setup-CV6WD_ZPE.exe (v11.0.26, A06). This is a newer version for the XPS 15Z that had some bug fixes done to it...but was never made available to the L502X. Quickset is the app small “gear” button to the right of the Power button - quickly access adjustments for wifi, backlit keyboard, display brightness, etc.

21. Dell Webcam Central (Creative Technologies). Download at Dell SmartSource.

22. Cyberlink PowerDVD 3D v9.6: Download at Dell SmartSource. It is listed multiple times with the newer versions on page 2. Or use your supplied CD from Dell if they provided one. I really suggest updating with the purchase of of PowerDVD 14 Ultra, should be around $60 when on sale.. I've had many of their versions, now running v14. We like it.

23. SoundBlaster X-Fi MB (Optional): You can get this from Dell on a CD. Part #VG99.I found this app basically useless because the Realtek WavesMaxx software installed from HD Audio driver R300326 works just fine.

24. Microsoft Silverlight: Download from MS - http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

25. Java Download: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

26. Adobe Acrobat Reader: http://get.adobe.com/reader

27. Adobe Flash Player: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

Dell Driver Downloads: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads
    Dell Application Downloads: Dell SmartSource (PowerDVD, Webcam Central, etc.)

Intel PROset – Their drivers can be confusing. A few of them just replace existing functions performed by Microsoft, Windows 7 and such. They also create several processes running in the background. I personally do the “Custom Install” and use only the Intel Link Driver which activates and operates my N-6230 wireless card fine. The PROset wireless software and WiFi Connection Utility hijack what Microsoft already performs. Also, the Microsoft OS handles Bluetooth pretty good. However, I haven’t done much testing with replacing Microsoft by installing the Intel BT 3.0 High Speed drivers. I don’t use BT very much at all.

OPTIONAL NEWER VERSIONS - NOT OFFERED UNDER DELL L502X:
    Realtek ALC665 Audio Driver – L702X system supplied driver that is a slightly newer version number than the above. It works fine. Audio_RLTK_W7_A05_Setup-J3VMR_ZPE.exe (Version 6.0.1.6449, A0)

NVidia Driver – There are “Certified” Nvidia drivers offered at LaptopVideo2Go.com that are much newer. They bring back some of the Nvidia software features removed in the Dell version and have newer HD Audio drivers. Their latest certified version for our Nvidia GT 525/540 video cards is 302.59, as opposed to Dell’s newest 285.77 driver. The LaptopVideo2Go drivers are an exact match to your Nvidia Hardare ID. So think of these like between Dell's old drivers and Nvidia's latest generic drivers offered on their website.

Get Nvidia Hardware ID: Go to your Device Manager>Display Adapters>Nvidia>Right Click Properties>Details>Drop Down menu Hardware IDs, then enter that info in the required boxes at LaptopVideo2Go website. Make sure to select “Certified Drivers” in their dropdown choice.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Frankyg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.