Dell XPS 15 R2 - L502x - Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by zygotic, Mar 23, 2011.

1. matw01

matw01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks for the response, i didn't think you could go above 8gb of ram with the L502X

2. Selva Vasanth

Selva Vasanth Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I just ordered the beast :) dell xps 15 L502X
    I went for some juicy specs.

i7-2670qm processor,
    6gb memory,
    Full HD 1080p,
    1TB HDD
    2GB graphic 540M,
    Backlit keyboard.

Estimated delivery date is 08-02-2012

Can't wait for the arrival ;-)

need your comments and suggestions

3. fabianoalf

fabianoalf Newbie

Reputations:
    i try up to 8GB ram

but you can installed out off DELL

4. nutta

nutta Newbie

Reputations:
    okay so i just bought a new xps 15 2 days ago and im new here =)

spec

i5-2450m 2.5ghz
    1tb hdd
    FHD display
    8gb ram
    GT 540 grahpic

stress it for a long period playing crysis 2 on 1366x768 reso on high
    [lowest in game ] for about 2 hour temperature peak at 95 c for both mainboard and cpu no noticible performance drop in game while the nvdia graphic run bit cooler peak out at 84 everage 80 - 90 for mainboard and cpu is this even normal?

5. rkjaj

rkjaj Newbie

Reputations:
    The 16gb RAM is self upgrade using crucial sticks. There are several posts throughout the thread despite Dell spec stated limited to 8gb. Runs better than fine with 16gb RAM. Love my Samsung 830 SSD but you pay bit more in comparative pricing to others currently.

6. scottdotb

scottdotb Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to say hi.
    I've read all 327 pages.
    I know whats up.
    No questions here.
    Thought I'd share.

I got the i7 2760qm/8gb/intel 1000/540/standard kb/1080pfhd/1tb/xfi/BRP

paid 1200 OTD from dell.com

Just some thoughts. I do lots of video editing/compositing so I needed the faster processor with more cache. I installed Adobe MC 5.5 in about 18 minutes from usb HD. Not too shabby. I copied 32.6 GB worth of video files at sustained 60 MB/s with bursts up to 90 from a usb 3.0 drive. I disabled all monitoring software, no fan problems here. Screen is awesome, but I haven't calibrated it yet. I will do so shortly with a spyder and see where I'm at. Gonna swap out the BlueRay for a caddy eventually and shove an SSD in the main space. I'm not a big gamer, but I figured I'll install Civ5 and jam for a minute and see how it goes. So far so good. I actually like the standard keyboard because I can't stand the lights in the dark. I know how to type and where all the keys are. Wireless card seems to be fine. No need to have super fast network speeds, only have 20 mbit hsi here and 10/100 does just fine at streaming. No bends, creaks or flex in anything.

Just thought I'd stop in. 7 days from ordering to receiving. Happy so far, dont break please.

Scott - in tenn

7. kgh00007

kgh00007 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey just wondering if anybody has modded the quickset program or the bios to allow F1-F6 to operate as function keys and F7-F12 to operate as media keys yet?

That would be awsom and would round off the perfect laptop for me :)

Does anyone even have any ideas on how to do this?

8. toronto

toronto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe this: How to have keyboard Multimedia and Fn keys enabled at the same time UberUllu.com
    It says:

9. kgh00007

kgh00007 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot, I found this program before I saw your post, it allows you to remap the keys in the registry which does the same job, seems to be working so far:

RandyRants: SharpKeys 3.5

I just made sure that function key first is selected in quickset, then mapped F8-F12 to back, play/pause, forward, vol up and vol down.

This program edits the registry so make a backup/create a restore point befrore you start and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

10. techodac

techodac Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    HELP NEEDED!!!
    i need to dual boot windows7 and windows 8 CP on my dell xps15.i formatted a drive and tried installing in that but an error popped while selecting drive for windows install"windows cannot be installed on this disk space it may contain one or more dynamic volumes" in all drives its giving this error except the drive in which windows7 has been installed...i dont want to remove windows7 and install win8 there So please suggest a way out doing this...i have been dual booting for so long on my desktop but never faced such issues before....is this i am alone facing this with xps 15?