1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell XPS 15 R2 - L502x - Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by zygotic, Mar 23, 2011.

1. paracaps

paracaps Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

you legend.
    The drive has appeared back and is functioning properly.

thanks for your help...much appreciated.

2. chr1z

chr1z Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey I took my l502x apart to replace the fan and a buddy said I should take the heatsink off and repaste. Well I did but I think I did it in reverse order when I was doing the heatsink screws. My buddy said when taking off start with #1 and go to 7 and then he said when hooking back up to start at #0 and work back to #1. I did it this way and honestly not noticing muxh difference. I get about 80 when running prime95 and 40 when idle. I did use some cheap antec past from best buy but I'm wondering if I didn't secure it p

3. gilipollas

gilipollas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone tried to connect a 4k screen to our laptop? Would it work at 30 Hz?

4. jonnyhotchkiss

jonnyhotchkiss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    there isn't a way of searching in this thread - is there?

I've read a lot, and regularly return here when consulting the driver install order info... but I'm currently at a loss.

I believe I have installed NVIDIA, as advised, ie unchecking optional extras (audio).

This suggests this is the case

4gODn9k.png

Note that all driver-install-guides I'm reading do not instruct me to uncheck Audio when installing NVIDIA's driver...

Also, I see this (by mystycs)

You 100% want to install

JMicron Flash Media Controller Driver
    Nvidia HD Audio Driver
    Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver
    Renesas Electronic USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver

So I don't (to my knowkedge!) have NVIDIA Audio installed, as advised

When I connect my Samsung LCD via HDMI (with the right cable!!), and start nvidia display service / open nvidia control panel, this refreshes the list of playback devices. I get the Samsung LCD, but also lots of "unplugged devices".

View attachment 117544

My brother has a new Toshiba hermann. It's got an NVIDIA Radeon & Windows8. When comparing, his playback devices shows 2 (as expected): his laptop speakers, and the HDMI LCD TV.

So I have something a bit wrong. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
    does anyone have any suggestions on what works?!

Many thanks in advance

5. HumpaLumpa

HumpaLumpa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you have any issues? Don't worry about the driver installation order so much. It will break nothing also if you skip one. But I have a few point that might be interesting.
    - Intel Rapid Storage driver with AHCI mode should be installed as soon as possible. For performance reasons.
    - Intel Chipset utility (chipset drivers) should be installed as soon as possible to get all mainboard controllers working.
    - JMicron Flash Cards controller driver: Not necessary if you don't use the slot.
    - Webcam driver: will be auto installed from Microsoft
    - Pure Intel HD Graphic Driver is sufficient. You can deinstall "Intel SDK for OpenCL" if it's also installed with the driver.
    - If you have a Intel Wi-Fi Card with Bluetooth onboard: At first install Intel BT driver, then Intel ProSet driver (WiFi). Order is important, can break BT functionality.
    - Latest Dell Quickset Utility to get Hardware (Fn) keys working.
    - NVidia HDMI audio driver makes sense if you use HDMI audio output with a TV or AV receiver. If you don't install NVidias HDMI driver, a Microsoft certified older driver will be installed automatically with less functionality. There is nothing wrong if you see some more HDMI Audio outputs in the audio mixer. The Intel chipset has at least 5 video with combined audio outputs/pipelines, but they are not all connected on the mainboard. Generally NVidias is not needed if you don't use HDMI audio. Then the pure video driver is sufficient.
    - Realtek LAN driver is important. They are regularly updated. It ads some more deeper functions like WakeOnLan or Jumbo Frames, if needed.
    - Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver is necessary to get that thing working.

6. Incessant

Incessant Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, i took apart my dell xps l502x to clean and i accidentally broke the ribbon cable that goes from the power button to the motherboard. I read that it is possible to turn on the laptop without the cable in a few pages back through bridging pins. Could somebody go into more detail in how to bridge the pins and the exact locations of these pins?

Thanks in advance

7. jonnyhotchkiss

Reputations:
    After over 12 months of happy tweaking, I'm back to square one: CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 7. this is to hopefully fix the (no) optimus issue I've just noticed on all my builds (except the old, buggy one that I somehow recovered).

I found some optimus test tools which echo the NVIDIA GPU Tray Status summary: Even when right-clicking programs and running with NVIDIA processor, even when adding programs to NVIDIA Program Settings CPL list, the GPU is OFF... it only flickers to IDLE when the NVIDIA CPL is open.

3days reading forums and gathering drivers (as the consensus seems to be that a clean install may be necessary, even though I followed the instructions laid out here

On the old build, under Programs & Features, NVIDIA is installed and has two entries:

"NVIDIA DRIVERS"
    "NVIDIA Graphics Driver 335.23"

New builds only have one entry, and don't have the NVIDIA Update Components entry (NVIDIA CPL > System Info > Save Report, Used the Compare plugin in Notepad++ to identify differences)

Hopefully I'll be reporting back confirming that the clean install with correct drivers in correct order will fix this "NO NVIDIA" problem.

Any recommendations on which NVIDIA driver to use?

I've been advised to:

- use the manufacturer's drivers (not Dell's)
    - use the latest (NVIDIA etc)
    - revert to 270.61 (re constant fan issues)

Fortunately I'm using native VHD, so my workflow will be

1) boot from windows USB, go to cmd prompt, create, prep, attach VHD, install windows to VHD
    2) on reboot, backup (stage 1) VHD
    3) attempt (advised) driver install, check if optimus works...
    4) if working, backup, destory and rebuild old VHDs (DAW, DEV, MAIN) using new base (with working drivers).

RE Optimus, I wanted to add (because I'm unclear) the reason I'm doing this... I only noticed this issue when I played a game my bro introduced me to. It's so addictive. Only a flash game, running in chrome, and mine was jerking all over... that's when I discovered "Check GPU usage" and discovered all the options, all about optimus technology - all the problems :( - the UI implies that you should be using NVID for 3D stuff... I don't have any games, except chess and internet backgammon... I'm sure some apps can't (or at least shouldn't?) be run using NVIDIA... but games are games, chrome has (chrome://)gpu stuff... and, most importantly, when I select "run with NVIDIA" on the OLD build,... it registers the application with NVIDIA. This doesn't happen on new builds.

I know other things MIGHT cause the tech to not work - drivers (incorrect AND incorrect order), but also BIOS settings, and maybe even "boot options" - PAE ?

I'm just trying to logically debug this weird problem (same drivers!)

Wish me luck amigos :hi2:

8. jonnyhotchkiss

Reputations:
    bit of geek chic, in case anyone is interested, re

I just tried, and found that it's not that hard.

I renamed the exe .zip and extracted all files (-x86 as I'm x64)
    I then tried right-click installing the .inf files, but this didn't work.
    I then manually installed the usb host via devmgmt.msc, providing the folder path to the extracted inf.

Clean installing because Optimus never worked. have another (vhd) build same laptop, same driver versions. old (crappy build) HAS optimus (chrome is registered as NVIDIA when requested)m hopefully starting fresh will fix, then I can backup (in case it's an Intel windows update that breaks Optimus again)

guessing i don't need to "auto run WINSAT and enable aero desktop theme"? (installing update #5 - r302134 - intel 8.5.10.2342, intel display audio 6.14.00.3074 (what's this for? we install realtek later, no?)

9. jonnyhotchkiss

Reputations:
    OK, so if I get the old NVIDIA and the old Intel graphics drivers from the Dell Manufacturer, and install in the right order... I'll have opencl, and physx etc, and most applications will work with nvidia high-performance processor?

this is a specific question, specifically aimed at users of nvidia (optimus "technology"). I feel like I'm getting conflicting info...

It's not just that the program/application can't run with the right card (NVIDIA GPU notification indicates program like benchmark detects and respects the preferred graphics processor setting

Similar to Courageous999's (OpenCL) problems discussed here -

(He has a workaround...)

I've added to that thread (it's too big to copy I think... maybe open in new tab :))

the issue -

There are two ways to implement nVIdia's Optimus technology (and AMD's Catalyst as well). One is with a true hardware multiplexer that allows hardware control of which GPU is active. The other is with a mux-less software-switched design where only the Intel GPU has a physical connection to the display panel. The vast majority of systems are designed this way - as is yours. It's a much more power-efficient way to run the system, but it is also demanding from a software (driver) standpoint as well.

Yes, this is why your Intel GPU always shows primary - it channels all video data to the screen.

(from ejn63)

that's from courageous999, seemingly able to use nvidia via external monitor, ie

[​IMG]

thanks for reading. if you have a sweet xps with nvidia working with opencl etc, I'd love to hear from ya!

(if you can confirm which opencl you have setup, and whether you've successfully completed any benchmarks, or use that technology in any specific games, any details/shots that'd be useful : )

currently using nvidia "9.18.13.4709" (from NVIDIA direct) and old Intel (and everything else) from Dell drivers/support

using gpu-z to monitor clocks, ascertain if opencl/physx etc is available

10. kaneda1010

kaneda1010 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My laptop screen broke quite a while back and I'm finally looking to buy a new 1080p replacement screen for my L502x. Does anyone know what are some of the best replacements I could buy are ? It doesn't seem like I can get the original anymore and also that business of "any compatible screen" from many sellers. I'm not quite sure what or where to buy from.

11. mman454

mman454 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm new around here, so a brief introduction.

I received my L502x sometime around the end of June 2011. I really like it for the most part, I wish there was the option to get it without the touchscreen at the time, mainly because I could have used the extra resolution of the normal display. I have had my share of ghost clicks too. I generally find that a good screen cleaning and recalibration does wonders (recently at least, wasn't always the case and I'm still not entirely sure what changed.) Oh, and I can't go without mentioning just how much I love the audio quality. I'm always impressed how loud it can get when I set it to max volume, even three years later. :) It's too bad dell doesn't seem to have a built in subwoofer in any of the current XPS lineup, maybe in a few years when I consider an upgrade that will be back. Listening to the same music on my family's laptop is just annoying now.

Anyway, I look forward to being part of the discussion here and helping out when I can! :)

Oh and one question for you guys:
    Anyone got any recommendations on reliable replacement batteries? I'm thinking of going with a 9 cell this time around! :)

12. pjcronje

pjcronje Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I got a battery from Amazon UK - it was significantly cheaper than Dell direct and as far as I can tell it's genuine. Battery life is back up to roughly 3 hours - better than the 5 minutes I was getting!

HumpaLumpa likes this.
  13. gilipollas

gilipollas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Since 4k screen are cheap now, I ask again:

Did anybody use the l502x with a 4k screen?

Theoretically the Displayport 1.1 and hdmi 1.4 of our XPS15 combined should deliver sufficient bandwith to use a 4k screen at 60Hz:
    We need two times 2160 x 1920 x 60Hz x 32bit = 7.96 GBit/s

The XPS15 can deliver:
    DP1.1: 8.64 GBit/s
    hdmi1.4: 8.16 GBit/s

So a 4k screen which supports 2xPiP should be usable @60Hz. But maybe fullscreen videos have some problems?

HumpaLumpa likes this.
  14. HumpaLumpa

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if 4k @60Hz will work with this DP 1.1 and HDMI 1.4a ports. And iam sure it will never work. Because at least there will be no driver support. Also the restriction here is the GPU (HD 3000). The HD 3000 also restricts the NVidia Optimus (GT525m/540m) GPU. So the HD 3000 has to be capable at first. Here is what I know:

What will work in practice:
    • Display Port: 2560x1600 (DP is best choice for high resolution displays)
    • HDMI/DVI/VGA: 1920x1200 (soft side restricted) :/
    What might work in practice:
    • VGA: 2560x1440 @ around 55 Hz should not be the problem (custom_add_resolution in intel driver)
    • HDMI higher than 1920x1200 will often only work via custom resolution template in the Intel driver. Maybe DVI-D cable, maybe set up via NVidia driver. Most people don't reach 60Hz. :/ There are rumors that Intel restricts the HDMI output. Setting up a high resolution monitor with hdmi is a mess.
    Sandy Bridge HD 3000 specs:
    HDMI 1.4a, Display Port 1.1 with HDCP 2.2 + Audio, DVI with HDCP 2.2
    DisplayPort with WQXGA (up to 2560 x 1600)
    DirectX 10.1, OpenGL 3.0, Shader Model 4.1, WDDM 1.2, HDCP 2.2

Sandy Bridge supports only 2 Displays at a time. So if you connect 2 external Displays, I guess you have to turn of the internal first. With the Matrox DualHead2Go Digital SE external box you can get 3840x1200 (2x 1920x1200) over the Display Port.

NVidia GT 540m (Optimus) specs:
    Dual Link DVI over the HDMI-Port. Support for resolution max.: 2560x1600.

Vider en-/decoding rumors:
    I've read on the Intel Developer Forum that someone encoded 4k videos on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge with the native avc/h264 encoder. But the framerate was under 20 fps. Realtime video encoding in 30fps is not possible. I know nothing about 4k decoding. I also think this will not work with standard after market software because of the driver restriction.

If it's possible to put DP and HDMI with 2 cables in one monitor and set windows to expanded view mode than you have your a nearly 4k resolution. :) But only 1600 dpi in height.

Since two years I want to buy a monitor higher than 1920x1200 dpi. Somewhat around 2560x 1600. But now 4k is around. That's what I want. It's possible that i thrash my l502x because of the low graphics output. Would be a shame. But maybe I'm lucky to get a cheap second monitor (2k) only for my XPS machine.

Is there someone who used a 4k external display on sandy bridge (Intel HD 3000) machines?
    Maybe someone should order a 4k or test one in a shop. Or take his l502x to a friend who has one. :)

Found in the web:
    2x 2560x1440 connected to a sandy bridge via VGA & HDMI. Look at the 2 monitors at the bottom. Awesome. :)
    http://www.itproportal.com/2013/06/...60-x-1440-via-hdmi-on-an-intel-hd3000-hd4000/

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  15. HumpaLumpa

Reputations:
    Ok, I will not thrash my l502x. At the time I can't find an affordable device that match my performance. They are all business/productivity/workstation devices. :/

Just for the record: ...what I did the last 12 month with/on my l502x:
    • I use the optical audio output (optical SP/DIF) connected to a high end DAC and headphone amp. Which modern laptop has a good soundcard with such many outputs? Ok, the onboard chip is not good, but the output features are.
    • I switched from i7-2630qm to i7-2760qm. I got 1350MHz of GPU speed now. Before: 1200MHz. I always set Intel HD 3000 power setting to maximum speed. Intel stated 2 years ago that "max. speed" also unlocks/enables more speed features than balanced setting. Is it worth to upgrade CPU? No. Unless you need a bit more GPU power especially e.g. for GPU accelerated webbrowsing, and virtualisation features, multi monitor, parallel use of many programmes. And of course if you really need more that more CPU power, what I did not need. Captaincasars modded BIOS added also a bit more Intel graphical power. I don't know why, but in generel the whole machine is slightly faster. Maybe because of the updated HD3000 VBIOS? I hope to see further BIOS or VBIOS updates from him. :)
    • RAM update 3 times. Now: 1600MHz 16GB. I strongly recommend to get as much and as fast RAM as possible. When booting my Windows 8.1 64bit up it needs nearly 4GB of RAM. I personally need on a working and private day around 10GB of RAM. I have one virtual linux machine in VirtualBox open all the day. So 1 VM = round about 4GB RAM.
    • I use a HooToo USB3.0 active hub (HooToo HT-UH010). Researched many month to get the best USB3.0 hub out there. It is good and stable. Parallel use of devices is possible, like burning a bluray, watch DVB tv,....
    I saw eGPU users here in the forum. My idea is to buy a 4k monitor to combine it on a eGPU adapter with a low-end or mid-range NVidia card. Is there an advice which cable and eGPU adapter to buy?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015