Dell XPS 15 9570 with Geforce 1060 is coming...

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by JKnows, Nov 9, 2017.

1. kevincaus

kevincaus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    so are we still on track for the launch of this new XPS 15 on April 16th 2018?
    Who's buying one?, who's testing one right now ?
    Is it safe to be an early adopter or will it have endless driver issues?

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hahaha.

The XPS 9550 was an unmitigated disaster at release; that was largely sorted out after a year with improved BIOS, drivers, etc. The 9560 launch was much smoother. Incremental improvements were made in the early months with improved BIOS, drivers, etc.

I think both the 9550 & 9560 are relatively sorted for experienced users at this point. But for power users, both "need" clean install of Windows, repaste of CPU/GPU, undervolting. And for casual gaming/video work, the 7700HQ throttles very quickly so there are extreme thermal mods several people did.

As the 9570 is not a new box but minor refresh of the 9550, & 9560 (same CPU architecture, similar GPU, same case, same keyboard, similar screens... ), Dell's engineers have a reduced set of areas they can screw up.

A few reddit users have the new XPS 2-in-1 9575 and are claiming very high temps and thermal throttling; aggressive undervolts helped a lot.

So, as the 9570 is just a minor refresh of the 9550 & 9560, I hope the core engineering and drivers are fairly well sorted. I don't expect Dell to release a perfectly sorted machine day 0 but SPECULATE it will be pretty good. Given the tiny form factor, won't be surprised to see people here repasting, undervolting, etc...

Regardless, I'll let you beta test and report back. . .

3. pkincy

pkincy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, today is the 16th midday in NY and there is no sign of the 9570 on Dell's website.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No good for me took, I am in Canada, and the Canadian website is a couple of days behind the US website.

5. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New Dell XPS 15 still not up on either the Dell Canadian site or the US site. However, US MSRP prices of some configurations are available...https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8cs2ve/dell_xps_15_9570_official_prices/. Good news is that the prices are indeed the same as the 9560. No i9 model pricing available yet. Of course, for users here, it is best to wait for some discounts to combine with coupons, as this gives you some time to check early feedback of thermals, while getting a better deal. It will probably take Dell a lot of time to ship out the first units, anyways.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, there are always deals, coupons and discounts. DON'T FORGET EBATES. 10% cash back on purchases. thats almost 300 bucks for my xps 15 2 in 1 when the config I want becomes available.

7. bhadrakalpa

bhadrakalpa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    kojack likes this.
  8. pascaladjaero

pascaladjaero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol Dell just can't be organized
    Says laptop will be available on a certain date and nobody at the company is sure when the laptop will be available‍♂️
    Anyway, I'll not be 'tester' this time around... I'll wait to see if they've made any progress with this model or if users will still be complaining about the same issues from previous models

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't worry, Gonzo will soon upgrade and then we will know :)

Sent from my ASUS_A001 using Tapatalk

10. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    I really hope they learned from their past mistakes and improved cooling by adding a full-cover coldplate for the VRMs that links them to the heatsink-fan array. If not, I'm afraid they may end up with a disaster.