Dell XPS 15 9570 with Geforce 1060 is coming...

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by JKnows, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxpmrong

xxpmrong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    nah aero not my type... i do not like the highlights :D

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Came across this post thanks to Google. If the 9570 uses Titan Ridge and wires the dGPU (or "semi-dGPU") to the display outputs, as Dell has done on some Inspiron Gaming models, then the system could support DP 1.4 even though the iGPU doesn't. However, the main reason the gaming systems are wired that way is to support things like G-Sync, VR, and stereoscopic 3D, all of which are primarily gaming-related, and the downside is that this wiring strategy means the dGPU is always running whenever an external display is attached, and apparently some people regularly use external displays while remaining on battery power. So perhaps this design would be rejected on the grounds of the regular, "This is an ultrabook, not a gaming laptop, so we optimized battery life over functionality" refrain.

On the other hand, if the rumors about a 5K built-in display option are true, that suggests that even the built-in panel would be wired to the dGPU since 5K requires better than DP 1.2, in which case the iGPU might be eliminated entirely on the 9570 -- unless Intel has DP 1.4 support up its sleeve. Either way, a 5K display option would make DP 1.4 support on the external connectors very likely.

I personally won't upgrade from my XPS 15 9530 until I can get DP 1.4 because I already have a 4K HDR TV and I might want to get a 5K display or two. USB 3.2 support would be nice too, but if that was the only thing missing from my list I don't know if I'd wait just for that. I would also LOVE to see a matte 4K+ display even if it meant buying the Precision variant, but I know I'm dreaming there.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  3. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    5K for a 15 inch screen makes absolutely no sense, so I really hope they won't go for that. With a 4K screen, we are already pushing 280ppi. For your information, the average person generally can see about 60ppd (pixels per degree). With a 4K, 15 inch screen, we get have a 160ppd@80cm distance. That's well beyond what a human eye can see in terms of detail. With a 5K screen, we bump the ppi up to about 370. At an 80cm distance, this gives a PPD of 210.

Only a very small amount of 18 year olds (who are at the height of their visual acuity) can see 120ppd. Obviously, the numbers change as we sit closer to the screen, but for a 4K 15 inch screen to break this 60ppd average of the human eye, you'd need to sit roughly 30cm away from your screen. Which you generally don't do, unless your pixelpeeping for some reason.

So I absolutely hope that Dell does their research and does not join in this MegaPixel 2.0 race we currently have. Because it's pointless, it sacrifices battery life and it sacrifices screen responsiveness. Getting a 4K screen with a higher brightness, true 10 bit panel, HDR compatible would be MUCH better than additional pixels.

SDeP58 and ThePerfectStorm like this.
  4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ I 100% agree with this. 5K made no sense to me either; I mentioned it only because it gave me hope for DP 1.4.

5. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree 100%.

While there may be some advantages to ultra high resolution for some applications, such as doing serious photography editing work, having a 5K 15 inch screen just doesn't, to me, make much sense.

While, overall, I'm pleased with my XPS 15 9560 with the 4K screen, there is a part of me that wishes that I had gotten the FHD screen, which is what I had on an XPS 15 9550.

And, even if my eyes were able to perceive a higher level of detail (or improved color) with the 4K 15 inch screen than with the FHD screen, it wouldn't be enough, for me, to compensate for the scaling issues that I have with some software with the 4K screen. There are times, with the 4K screen, when I have to use the pinch zoom just to be able to enlarge the tiny text on an Outlook email to make it readable.

I know that, for me, I won't have any interest in a laptop with a 5K 15 inch screen.

6. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed. FHD is way more sensible when used for apps that don't scale well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Well and here I am.... not knowing whether to upgrade my XPS 15 9530 with the XPS 9560 or rather wait for the XPS 9570.

Are there any prices released yet?
    I could wait on a new laptop until June but I don't want to spend 1k more on it. Especially as there is currently a 12% sale on Dell XPS Models.
    I don't think the newer CPU will bring any real performance differences compared to the i7-7700HQ.
    But I am on Linux and will work 99% on the iGPU only. The dGPU only gets used when I explicit start an application with the dGPU (mostly only games).
    And it seems like this newer 9570 will outperform the the Intel HD630 on the 9560?

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    IF....and the big IF, you can hold out.....Do so. If you REALLY WANT now, get the 9560 and enjoy an awesome device!

9. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    With a big discount the 9560 might be worth it. For all of my disappointment with the ASUS Zenbook Pro UX550, the port selection is something that I would not mind Dell copying for the upcoming XPS 15. 2 TB3 4 lane ports, two USB 3 A ports, a standard charging port, a microsd card slot, and an HDMI port would be an acceptable balancing act between legacy and modern ports. But the HDMI should 2.0 and hopefully Dell doesn't ship the laptop with a massive power adapter, unlike ASUS.

10. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It has just been confirmed by Frank Azor that the 9570 will NOT have a 1060. This means that the original sources were completely fake.

I think we can safely assume there will be no 5K screens (and thanks for that).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.