Dell XPS 15 9570 with Geforce 1060 is coming...

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by JKnows, Nov 9, 2017.

1. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In 2017 November it was rumored to have the following specs;
    • 8th generation Quad and Hexa Core intel processors,
    • Optional GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q,
    • FHD, QuadHD+, and 5k screens,
    • 4 PCI-e lanes for ThunderBolt,
    • One more USB-C,
    • Top of the line XPS 15 is at $3800 CAD,
    • The refresh should occur in January (delayed until late spring, because Dell struggeling to put inside the 1060m).
    Source
    Source 2

[​IMG]
    However it is arrived with slightly lower specs, because the 1060maxQ was too big for this thin laptop. The Geforce GTX 1050Ti is the GPU, which is just a minor upgrade from the previous generation. Price is $1399 for the one with 1050ti GPU, without dedicated GPU just $999. See the rest of the configurations at Dell's website.

What we did not expected, came also a different XPS model! Namely the XPS 15 9575. It has a very different internal in even thinner body. Spots a 2nd Gen Kaby Lake CPU integrated with Radeon RX Vega. Tests says,
    The slowest XPS 15 9575 is almost as fast as the fastest XPS 15 9560
    So good chance a higher specs version of 9575 Is faster as in this article the new XPS 9570. Meahnwhile I would reccommend to skip this 9570 and wait for the 9580 with Geforce 1150 GPU.
    Nvidia's next gen mobility GPUs confirmed to be landing in late 2018

Guide, how to install Windows 7 on this machine;

Basically you will need to follow this guide here, but be aware there is no driver for the integrated igp yet, just for the dedicated GPU.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Pete Light likes this.
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    I sincerely hope a thermal and power redesign has been employed. Otherwise, this machine will be worse than Razer in the thermals and performance department.

Aivxtla, sicily428, _sem_ and 3 others like this.
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To be clear, the original Reddit post has no image and the poster wrote what he said he remembered. He said he saw 1060 but assumed it was Max-Q.

That is weak evidence but fun speculation.

On another note, not sure how the small case and power module would deal with all the extra horsepower. The 9560 really struggles with the 7700HQ & 1050 . . .

don_svetlio likes this.
  4. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I cant believe an article is based on a reddit post which is just someone who saw something and remembered some of it. Not doubting it necessarily, just odd sourcing.
    Interesting refresh possibilities mentioned; looking like a bigger deal than 9550 to 9560. 6 cores would certainly be a noteworthy upgrade.
    Intel 8th generation is a bit of a cluster so this doesn't tell me much about the exact chip possibilities. Anyone know more about specs, or the specific microarchitecture ?
    I wonder if there's any chance we'll see a model offered without a dGPU but with the new Intel CPU w/ semi discrete AMD GPU recently announced, as mentioned here (https://www.anandtech.com/show/1200...with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib). Supposedly its an H series chip, and would be a cool option.
    Also, the addition of a 2nd USB-C port would be welcome. Wonder if it will be Thunderbolt 3, or just one USB-C and one TB3 as is done on the 9365. Would also be great if they also upped the TB3 to 4 PCIe lanes

EDIT: Also, 5k screen! Isnt that excessive, I mean how close do you need to be to tell the difference with perfect vision? Personally love the 4k, but think its serious overkill on a 15 inch screen

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    _sem_, Pete Light and custom90gt like this.
  5. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Lol this post is funny. I thought there would be some actual proof or something. I actually heard they were going to put sli 1080 ti video cards in it, I saw it somewhere on a dell site...

6. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1080ti very unlikely get place in this thin machine, but the above mentioned specs are possible and logical for an upgrade, especially if they improve something on the cooling part.

7. Don16

Don16 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    fix ghosting issues....fix ghosting issues....fix ghosting issues .... why quadHD instead of 4k lol? Good luck with that 1060 throttling machine

8. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Lol I see that I didn't peak your sarcasm chart. With the cooling on the 9560 a 1060 max q is not possible. They are going to have to do a lot of work.

It's just funny that this thread basically states some random guy spouting some stuff and people are taking it to the bank.

I realize a 1060 in a thin laptop is possible, it's why I'm probably going to sell my 9560 and pick up an aero 15. It's just not near possible with the current cooling configuration, not to mention the lack of VRM cooling.

Aivxtla likes this.
  9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In fact this is trivial. Just a little tweak of Intel DPTF needed :) :) :) Max Q in turn seems to be the Nvidia way of stuffing too much specs into machines which lack adequate cooling.

I guess with a reasonable small upgrade of cooling we've seen to be feasible (likely implemented as one more heatpipe and some more fins), it would be perfectly feasible to stuff in the next gen i7 hq and the 1060 Max Q. It is also reasonable to expect to see DPTF rearing its ugly head a few minutes into action the usual XPS way ;)

10. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Found this excerpt from the latest 9570 news: