Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I see your point. Not 100% sure but it might be worth to pad the DIMMs then...

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'll give it a shot before I do iunlocks mod. Maybe it'll be enough?

3. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'll most likely just stay with the current pads for now, unless I start seeing more guides on it.

As to the DIMM, how are you guys keeping it so cool? That thing gets scorching hot for me when I play a taxing game like far cry (unless the reading is wrong, which I suppose is possible). This is from the FF15 benchmark on high.

[​IMG]

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Sadly I don't know how to keep the DIMM cool yet, we were just discussing sinking the RAM...

I updated the first post with a table, let me know what you guys think (or if I made any errors, lol).

5. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I believe it was @pressing who mentioned the dimm throttling on reddit? I can't find the post of course.

pressing likes this.
  6. vCanalla

Reputations:
    Interestingly I don't know if it was the paste or just the chip itself, but the nvidia chip stays pretty icy cool. Under full load, the thing barely breaks 70 for me.

7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Mine is similar. These 1050ti max q chips seem to run pretty cool. I will eventually undervolt/overclock it to see how it does.

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome posts @custom90gt - thanks for the detailed updates here.

9570 i7 performance sux out of the box. Your repaste and undervolt mods show some good promise. I think the strong undervolt shows how well Intel has progressed with the old Skylake platform.

A few thoughts:

1. Undervolt of CPU "core & cache" probably should be identical for typical 6, 7 and 8 generation CPUs per unclewebb. The CPU might default to the lower of the core or cache undervolt (or entirely ignore the undervolt after some time). You might see that in Intel XTU but since ThrotttleStop writes some of the same registers, that might not be a 100% reliable check. Intel has not public documentation here.

2. The "power limit" throttle might be misleading and simply a thermal flag, a result of temps hitting a Dell threshold. For example:

- 77C on the old VRM temp sensor (not sure if that is still applicable on the 9570)
    - 6?C on the DIMM temp sensor (not sure if that is root cause in the 9570)

For sure temps in the 60s are not going to cause issues in the DIMM arena. But it will be difficult to get that sensor to be below 60C all the time without bypassing (you could test the sensor's resistance when warm and soldier in an appropriate sized resistor).

3. In the 9550 & 9560, I could bypass PL throttling by just boosting package power limits (short & long) and the corresponding times. This only worked in Intel XTU. You can boost wattage by a "reasonable" amount (+10 or +20 watts) but if you try a silly boost of say +50 watts the laptop will just ignore your changes. Of course the vrm will produce precisely 0 watts of additional power but this trick may remove some artifical throttling. Not sure if that will work on the 9570 and not sure if the registers are the same (using the 9560 registers could brick your system but I suspect they are the same). Also, you need to monitor temps very carefully as this bypasses a lot of heat protection. Finally you could ditch XTU and do this via ThrottleStop, but you need to find & change the third registers via something like RW-Everything.

4. There is a point where the XPS will really power limit throttle as you mentioned, particularly when CPU & GPU are used together. If you can keep the VRM well below say 90C, the mosfets can output near max wattage; a bit above 90C output falls off a cliff.

5. For the benefit of others, Intel XTU is buggy. And it should not be run along with ThrottleStop.

abujafar and custom90gt like this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wasn't me!

10. vCanalla

Reputations:
    Pressing,
    do you know if there's any benefit to undervolting the iGPU? Even when doing something intensive that activates the NV GPU?