Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Cooler-master

Cooler-master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

My Xps is 8750h 9570.

I want to undervolt dGPU.
    I used MSI Afterburner. I found a voltage - 0.900v and 1700mHz.
    But when MSI Afterburner is opened, my CPU runs at 2000-3000 mHz. And it has temp 40-45C. When i closed MSI utility CPU runs at 800-1000mHz with 30-35C.
    What is my problem?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MSI Afterburner tends to keep the CPU awake for some reason. Best option is to just start MSI afterburner whenever you plan on using your dGPU for something. And close it again when you are not using the dGPU. It won't cause 'extra' heat, it just causes higher heat when idling.

Cooler-master and custom90gt like this.
  3. Cooler-master

Cooler-master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thaks a lot!

4. 3g6

3g6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hy,

I need some advice, because I want to buy a new XPS, but I am worried about the temps and fan noise.
    So sadly only the hot 6 Core i7 version available with with 1050ti, but that is super hot for this thin laptop. Is possible to disable few of the cores of that CPU to get cooler temps and higher clock speeds? 3 or 4 Cores would be awesome at 4GHz.

5. deepred

deepred Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    TL;DR It should be possible, at least, on a few i7 and i9 models I tried, but it is unknown if it helps to mitigate throttling issues.

I've checked a Precision M5530 with i9-8950HK (sort of, XPS 15 "Pro" version) I had around here and, indeed, it seems to be possible to specify how many cores you want to be enabled.
    BIOS_Multi_Core_Support.jpg
    You can choose between one to six cores, though it doesn't affect the LLC (aka L3) cache size as you can see in Task Manager, so you would still need to undervolt it to some extent.
    TaskManager_CPU.jpg
    As you can see, the system just booted into Windows and it runs at 4.8GHz. Actually, I think, it was the first time I saw Thermal Velocity Boost (TVB) in action on this machine.

Anyway, I wasn't sure I have seen this option before, so I decided to check a Precision M3510 with i7-6820HQ. It appears it also has a Multi Core Support option in BIOS where you can choose between one to four cores. Unfortunately, I don't have any XPS around so I cannot tell for sure if this option is available there as well. I also didn't perform any tests so I am not sure if reducing the number of active cores helps with throttling.

6. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    It does not need option in bios, also possible to disable cores on Windows level. I m unsure how is that working in Windows 10, but in Windows 7 —> run msconfig—>boot tab—>advanced options—>Number of processors. There select 4, than reboot!
    If you have 6 Cores laptop, use “just” 4 Cores and your system will become snapiier due to higher clocks and maybe less warm too.

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    But if I recall correctly it is in the bios as well.

toughasnails and abujafar like this.
  8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I noticed when running realbench the temp (next to PKG POWER in throttlestop) fluctuates wildly from 78 degrees to 98 degrees. This immediately changes the power limit from ~56W down to ~30W and clock speed from ~3.6Ghz to ~2.8. However it fluctuates like literally every second, going 2.8 to 3.6 and back, with the temps going 78 to 97 and back every second.

WTF

I've undervolted and that's it, no physical mods or repasting. TBH I read all the articles and I'm still confused at exactly which parts are the VRMs lol.

I checked all the sensors visible in HWINFO and I can't find anything, where do I look to find the culprit? ITs not the CPU temp or the PCH temp or the DIMM temp.

Oh and I get around 5000 worse points when docked with thunderbolt. haha

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  9. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    So I’ve got this beautiful laptop and yes the bios really has the option to disable CPU cores. The bios is amazing, so many details, i give five scores at this point for the laptop. So changing 6 CPU cores to 4 Cores seems I ve already higher CPU clocks and less temperature, but further tests will be needed.