Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can find summary and resource links to SpeedShift at our thread below:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

Essentially EPP adjustments are trial and error but this gets you started:

0= max performance
    255= max battery life
    128 = Intel's preliminary "average" user setting (this locks out top turbo speeds on XPS)
    ~78 = highest setting where I get access to top turbo speeds (your number might be a bit lower or higher so need to test). My daily use

Vasudev and custom90gt like this.
  2. BlkR

BlkR Newbie

Reputations:
    I mean is if i have EPP at 0 , this means it will be running at max turbo frequency right. However I cannot max out each core at that frequency due to overheating. Though how often would you be maxing all cores at that frequency unless your rendering. If for your everyday tasks am i able to leave it EPP at 0 without shortening the life of the CPU? as i know it will never run all cores at max frequency for daily tasks

Vasudev likes this.
  3. dlshadow

dlshadow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I'm new here and this thread is amazing!!

I have an xps 15 9570 i7 8750h with 16Gb RAM and a nvidia 1050ti that's running supper hot particularly when photoshoping.
    I have already applied Kryonout (might try an reapply with a newer paste) and that has helped a bit though not much.

My question now are:

-Would this be good enough for the ram if i stack it ??
    newEgg.ca link

-Would I need to get a few of those and stack them for other components or that's not necessary ??

-How do you under volt without without loosing to much of the cpu frequency ?
    I undervolted to
    -110mv CPU
    -125mv Cache

I have went through most pages of this thread over the past few days and these are the main things that I still have questions about.

Thank you

4. dlshadow

Reputations:

Take a look at this Youtube Video @ 2:12

5. zeverus

zeverus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had same problems with same model. cpu throttling to 800 mhz.
    Make sure your heat sink is straight, and if not, get dell to replace it, and if your not sure, get dell to replace it just in case.
    Ohh, and if your using throttlestop, try turning down "Turbo Ratio Limits" on all the cpu cores. I did 41, 41, 39, 39, 39, 39, but don't know if that really has the intended effect.
    I used kryonaut as well, so should be fine.
    also just put a little something under the back of your computer, so the bottom/back of computer is elevated, if your going to be using it for intensive tasks for prolonged periods. i use two lego bricks
    After all that crap i can now push my comp for hours, only diping below 3ghz every now and then, but the dip lasts 2 seconds and then its back over 3 ghz again, all while the gpu is pounding steadily along
    But it does get hot, like some sensor says 128C i think.
    Use "Dell power manager" actively!!!.
    I switch settings several times a day, because silent mode -> longer battery and, well, no noise. But 90%of time when plugged in, i use "ultra performance", and if im in bed with comp, or its on my lap i sometimes use "cool" mode - I never tried "omtimized" mode.
    I dont think undervolt affects your cpu speed. But the "Turbo Ratio Limits" thingy does. But I haven't done any testing or comparison on before and after i changed the turbo ratio limits, so I cant give you any values. It just seemed like a sweet spot for me, but I'm basing it on a whim, and what do i know.

dlshadow likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Also undervolt nvidia gtx 1050 ti using MSI AB. Less GPU temps means more/better CPU cooling and performance.

dlshadow likes this.
  7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would try to repaste as I've had good luck with Kryonaut. There may be some bad/expired/fake stuff out there though as some people have had really poor results with it.

I wouldn't use that from Newegg, it would work but is way too expensive. I used this and it was totally fine.

I bet you could undervolt more. I would try -140mv on both the CPU and cache. Try it out and see what happens. Also the CPU is typically easier to undervolt than the cache.

Let me know if that answers your questions.

Dannemand and Vasudev like this.
  8. dlshadow

Reputations:
    Thx, I will give this a try. I'll look for a video on youtube to have an idea on how that works.

The first Kryonout paste that I had (current on the laptop) might have been old. It seems different from the new one I got to repaste my home rig.
    As for the heat sink, I did inspect it when I first took it off and it looked fine so maybe I was just lucky with that.

Trying out your other suggestions now.

Thank you

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Bob of All Trades (@B0B on the forum) has a great tutorial on how to undervolt the GPU.

dlshadow likes this.
  10. dlshadow

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

My progress so far
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018